Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 10:37 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
You do have an alternative! Home school your own kid! The state has made it easy by not requiring that the homeschooling parent have teaching credentials. Teachers don't know what their pay will be, with the general assembly changing the rules when it suits their needs! As for private unions, they're relatively rare these days.
Homeschooling addresses the quality not cost of having a public union. The cost/value and competitive issues apparently were lost on you. Did you look up the Supreme Court case?

Teachers don't know what their pay will be? Seriously? The pay scales are public knowledge and published.

You also never answered my question about showing direct correlation to dollars spent and education level. Also feel free to google the Kansas City school experiment.

Or how increasing pay will make our current teachers better.

I'm in a private union. But that doesn't detract from my point. I feel like you are just throwing out ideas hoping something will stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 02:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Homeschooling addresses the quality not cost of having a public union. The cost/value and competitive issues apparently were lost on you. Did you look up the Supreme Court case?

Teachers don't know what their pay will be? Seriously? The pay scales are public knowledge and published.

You also never answered my question about showing direct correlation to dollars spent and education level. Also feel free to google the Kansas City school experiment.

I'm in a private union. But that doesn't detract from my point. I feel like you are just throwing out ideas hoping something will stick.
I'm well aware of the Supreme Court decision. What about the teachers who were 2/3rds away from their Master's or National Board Certification who were expecting a pay increase when the NC general assembly decided to change the rules?

All that the Kansas City experiment shows is that throwing money at schools without proper oversight leads to disaster. The outcome never was in doubt!

Most of the states that rank above NC in the majority of cases, spend more per pupil than NC does. That can only help the average student in those states.

The question then becomes, "can you explain to me why Massachusetts is ranked #1 in education and North Carolina is #31?"

What do you think are the main factors behind this ranking and are you happy with it?

Old 10-21-2018, 08:32 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

until the last sentence, I was going to let you know you know that you were fighting a ghost. This is the same person who took an article from a click-bait site entitled "Best/Worst state for teachers" and was able to draw the conclusion this meant we were ranked 49th in education.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
until the last sentence, I was going to let you know you know that you were fighting a ghost. This is the same person who took an article from a click-bait site entitled "Best/Worst state for teachers" and was able to draw the conclusion this meant we were ranked 49th in education.
Nowhere in my first post did I say that! You might want to re-read it. But those "unhappy teachers" can certainly help us to get to 49th place! Never mind, keep perusing those Century 18 brochures!

Old 10-22-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
New Survey Finds North Carolina 49th in Education
Quote:
It seems North Carolina is circling the drain when it comes to education
Quote:
Sadly, K-12 education gets bottom of the barrel ratings compared to other states
these are your words.

You'll have to inform us on what "Century 18" means. I've never heard of it. Doesn't seem Google has either

And I apologize for failing to remember that you are retired without kids in the NC school system, and asking instead. I'm presuming that you have never had kids in the NC system?

Old 10-22-2018, 08:41 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Good gracious... smh

Old 10-22-2018, 02:35 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
these are your words.

You'll have to inform us on what "Century 18" means. I've never heard of it. Doesn't seem Google has either

And I apologize for failing to remember that you are retired without kids in the NC school system, and asking instead. I'm presuming that you have never had kids in the NC system?
I am a recent former teacher with kids in the NC school system (left for a variety reasons but the pay didn't help). At some point trying to do more with less isn't worth the hassle and the apathy resonating from Raleigh is sad. I'm not one for just throwing money at improving education but the correlation with spending less is evident in the results.

I'm still baffled at the notion of devaluing advanced degrees no matter the subject. Teaching is about subject mastery, discipline/controlling the classroom and managing a slew of administrative tasks. Anyone who has spent additional time researching, reading and enhancing subject matter should be PAID accordingly. Doesn't it work that way in private industry?

Paying teachers more might not make them "better" teachers but it'll serve as an incentive to keep seasoned teachers on staff. Better teachers aren't created, they're developed over time like any reliable employee.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
these are your words.

Being 31 or 39 is a long way from the top 10! To me, being less than 25 on a school quality rating implies a lack of care, commitment and money by the state government. I do have family members and friends with kids in the public school systems of Union and Mecklenburg County, as well as teacher friends and neighbors.

Ever heard of Century 21? If you can't make that "mental leap" of my play on names to one of the biggest real estate agencies in the country, probably means you went to school in NC! I rest my case! You are in real estate, right?

Last edited by TheEmissary; 10-22-2018 at 02:52 PM..

Old 10-23-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I am a recent former teacher with kids in the NC school system (left for a variety reasons but the pay didn't help). At some point trying to do more with less isn't worth the hassle and the apathy resonating from Raleigh is sad. I'm not one for just throwing money at improving education but the correlation with spending less is evident in the results.

I'm still baffled at the notion of devaluing advanced degrees no matter the subject. Teaching is about subject mastery, discipline/controlling the classroom and managing a slew of administrative tasks. Anyone who has spent additional time researching, reading and enhancing subject matter should be PAID accordingly. Doesn't it work that way in private industry?

Paying teachers more might not make them "better" teachers but it'll serve as an incentive to keep seasoned teachers on staff. Better teachers aren't created, they're developed over time like any reliable employee.
since you quoted me with this response, I'll repeat what I said at the top of the page (and have said numerous times):

Quote:
If it's not in this thread yet, let me go on record as supporting the teacher stipends for advanced degrees. We really should reinstate that.
To answer the question (bolded above) ... in private industry, you do indeed generally qualify for and gain higher level jobs, that come with higher pay. Some private companies help pay for some or all of an employee's advance degrees (this is akin to paying them more), usually with requirements of a period of employment after the degree is earned. I'm sure there are some private employers that take 2 equal employees, and once one has earned their degree they pay them more for the "same" job.

But generally, it is not "Have advanced degree, then pay scale is $X + Y%"

The more years you teach, the higher your pay is, yes? May not be a raise every year (or several years). The 20 year teacher might not get a 10% raise when the 5 year teacher does. The system of raises would be consistent with the private sector.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Being 31 or 39 is a long way from the top 10! To me, being less than 25 on a school quality rating implies a lack of care, commitment and money by the state government. I do have family members and friends with kids in the public school systems of Union and Mecklenburg County, as well as teacher friends and neighbors.

Ever heard of Century 21? If you can't make that "mental leap" of my play on names to one of the biggest real estate agencies in the country, probably means you went to school in NC! I rest my case! You are in real estate, right?
Century 21 isn't that big in NC. I'm not even sure what you meant by subtracting 3 and making it Century 18. My NJ-ese must be lacking. As to the rest of your craven and unnecessary insults, I don't think they're making you look more attuned to the topic at hand, but I'm not all the other folks participating in this topic.

I'm all for making NC one of the top 25 states in education results in the nation. I assume the rest of my NC natives and residents would as well. If we're 31 now, that's not a far leap in achievement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina