Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 03:00 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

If it's not in this thread yet, let me go on record as supporting the teacher stipends for advanced degrees. We really should reinstate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 03:14 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Lots of CTE courses like Network and Computer Engineering, SolidWorks, etc. where advanced degrees are extremely helpful. I have an advanced engineering degree which was very beneficial for teaching high school Network Engineering courses. Until you are teaching in today's world/landscape, best advice is stick to what you know or give it a shot and get back to me.

Not sure why you think an advanced degree in any discipline wouldn't be beneficial to mastering the subject matter. Bet lots of private and charter schools have teachers with advanced degrees...even the NC School of Science and Math, etc. You are damn clueless and that kind of thinking is totally ass backwards.
Yeah definitely can't wrap my head around the reasoning for having a masters to teach 2+2=4. Or a gym/"art" teacher. Seems like a waste of resources to me.

Put the money where it would be beneficial, pay lower ed teachers less with less degree requirements lowering their barrier to entry and as coursework gets more difficult ramp up the salary. My post addressed all of the above. This isn't hard.

Last edited by wheelsup; 10-11-2018 at 04:08 PM..

Old 10-11-2018, 05:43 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
there you go again, regurgitating talking points without any real substance behind them. Are these points you believe this time, or just playing devils advocate?
They're not "talking points" ...they're the reality of the situation for many teachers these days. I lived in NJ for most of my life and never considered that teachers were paid poorly. They aren't! But even relative to local income, teachers are underpaid in this state and part of the low rating of NC schools is due to this fact. If you're content with this fact, then you won't mind ...that in the educational quality ranking of students by state, North Carolina will be one of the states bringing up the rear!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:20 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Yeah definitely can't wrap my head around the reasoning for having a masters to teach 2+2=4. Or a gym/"art" teacher. Seems like a waste of resources to me.

Put the money where it would be beneficial, pay lower ed teachers less with less degree requirements lowering their barrier to entry and as coursework gets more difficult ramp up the salary. My post addressed all of the above. This isn't hard.
Teaching is hard, very hard, especially kids. So, you'd rather your kids be taught by less educated teachers with similar years of experience. Surely you jest...lol. This is approaching a level of ignorance I cannot speak. I betcha every one of dem GA jackasses that voted against paying public schools for higher level degrees send their kids to the best schools with the most educated and experienced teachers. it's nonsensical because it's almost a drop in the bucket. What other resources? Tax breaks for the yacht club members?

Old 10-12-2018, 10:43 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Teaching is hard, very hard, especially kids. So, you'd rather your kids be taught by less educated teachers with similar years of experience. Surely you jest...lol. This is approaching a level of ignorance I cannot speak. I betcha every one of dem GA jackasses that voted against paying public schools for higher level degrees send their kids to the best schools with the most educated and experienced teachers. it's nonsensical because it's almost a drop in the bucket. What other resources? Tax breaks for the yacht club members?
Actually if you read this paper by the department of education you'll find they found exactly what I stated - that teachers did not perform any better with a masters degree in general studies.

https://nces.ed.gov/pubs97/97535l.pdf

However, as I stated up thread, teachers with advanced degrees in their specific higher level courses (10th grade) in math and sciences, had a statistical correlation with higher student achievement.

They make the argument that it is counterproductive and an improper use of money to pay ALL teachers more with advanced degrees and does not give a better outcome in education levels.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
They're not "talking points" ...they're the reality of the situation for many teachers these days. I lived in NJ for most of my life and never considered that teachers were paid poorly. They aren't! But even relative to local income, teachers are underpaid in this state and part of the low rating of NC schools is due to this fact. If you're content with this fact, then you won't mind ...that in the educational quality ranking of students by state, North Carolina will be one of the states bringing up the rear!

you're not even using facts laid out right in front of you.

On educational quality, we're 32nd (if I'm remembering what I linked you last week). that's middle of the pack, not "low rated".

You live outside CLT in Union County, yes? Union County is the 7th highest income per capita in the state, so it's not a poor county.

The median wage in Union County is $33,300. The median age is 38.

A teacher in NC with 15 years experience (about 38) makes $45,500 - $51,000 from the state. In Union County, they get an extra $4,000 - $5,500.

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/...8schedules.pdf

Feel free to do the same googling I have in order to provide something to your argument besides a WalletHub article that you misstate what it's even saying.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Actually if you read this paper by the department of education you'll find they found exactly what I stated - that teachers did not perform any better with a masters degree in general studies.

However, as I stated up thread, teachers with advanced degrees in their specific higher level courses (10th grade) in math and sciences, had a statistical correlation with higher student achievement.

They make the argument that it is counterproductive and an improper use of money to pay ALL teachers more with advanced degrees and does not give a better outcome in education levels.
man, more facts. Of course, those are 1996 facts, so it's about time to update them.

I'm still willing to pay even the K teachers the masters stipend though.

The NCGA didn't do away with it because they read the study. They did away with it because we had a gigantic hole in the state budget, and a constitutional requirement to have a balanced budget.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:

wheelsup - As for teachers with Master's degrees and above, more recent articles paint a more nuanced picture.

https://www.mhec.org/sites/default/f...20170301_2.pdf

https://www.educationnext.org/the-my...good-teaching/

Here's a study relevant to North Carolina:

https://caldercenter.org/sites/defau...WP%20136_0.pdf

Better pay for teachers in NC can help retain them to the point where their experience makes them better teachers. The articles also point out that teachers who went to better schools tend to be better teachers.

Better pay attracts higher-achieving students as well!

If you have a full-ride scholarship for Barney Fife Community College to be a teacher or to Harvard for investment banking, it's not much of a decision. "Show me the money" trumps "it's for the children" every time!

The No Child Left Behind program initiated by George Bush in the 2000s, while flawed and underfunded, pointed out glaring inadequacies in the curriculum between states and school districts within states. Pre-K classes help to make poorer students start grammar school on a more equal footing with their wealthier suburban counterparts. These improvements cost money.

No matter how you feel about schools, it's certainly better to try to develop educated citizens than to pay for prisons to house its failures! It's cheaper in the long run!

Old 10-12-2018, 03:10 PM

from the 2015 NC-relevant study...

Quote:
Even with this careful attention to selection bias, we confirm the findings of prior studies
showing that teachers with master’s degrees are no more effective than those without. The only
consistently positive effect of attaining a master’s degree emerging from this study relates not to
student test scores but rather to lower student absentee rates in middle school.
I look forward to reading the part of the study that asserts this, because I sure don't even understand what it means...

Quote:
Better pay attracts higher-achieving students as well!

If you have a full-ride scholarship for Barney Fife Community College to be a teacher or to Harvard for investment banking, it's not much of a decision. "Show me the money" trumps "it's for the children" every time!
unless you're trying to say that teachers teach because that's what they were able to get educated to do, since they couldn't qualify for that elusive "Investment Banking Scholarship at Harvard". Which is absurd.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:16 PM

wait a minute....Harvard doesn't have IB schollies...or ANY for that matter.

Quote:
As an Ivy League institution, Harvard does not offer athletic or academic scholarships to students. However, Harvard does provide need-based financial aid to those students who demonstrate financial need. To learn more about applying for financial aid at Harvard, visit https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina