U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:52 PM

8 posts, read 30,098 times

Advertisements

ok everyone - I KNOW this topic has been posted and discussed ad nauseum, BUT I feel mine is a slightly different case so please hear me out and help me out. I am considering relocating to either the Triangle area or Charlotte, I know both are great, but I would like a little more insight into the culture and "feel" of each. Most importantly, I am SINGLE, male 32 years old, so Im not worried about school systems or that stuff. Specifically Im wondering, is there a decent young professionals scene in the Triangle area? Or is it mostly college type partying and what not? Does Raleigh compare to Charlotte as far as cosmopolitanism?
Also, as far as work I am specialized in International Business focused on Latin America. I know NC is not the best region for this but does anyone have any insight in this regarding Triangle vs. Charlotte.
Thank you all and go heels!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 04:20 PM

620 posts, read 1,888,132 times
I would move to Charlotte. It feels more like a city and is way ahead of downtown Raleigh.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:28 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,642,395 times
Charlotte is boringville unless you're into banking or NASCAR. Move to Raleigh/Durham.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:14 PM

206 posts, read 603,958 times
In my short time here (one month), I can say that so far the singles life sucks. It seems to be a great place if:

A. You are 18-22 years of age and into the college lifestyle
or
B. You are 30+ AND have a young family with a great income

It's like all the young professionals that graduate from these great colleges in the area drop off the face of the earth, especially where I live in Cary. I swear that any attractive woman that I see here has two tots following her around.

I cannot speak for Charlotte, however I have heard that it has a much more "cosmo" feel to it, especially being a magnet for entry level accounting, finance, and banking positions.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:20 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,412,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
In my short time here (one month), I can say that so far the singles life sucks. It seems to be a great place if:

or

It's like all the young professionals that graduate from these great colleges in the area drop off the face of the earth, especially where I live in Cary. I swear that any attractive woman that I see here has two tots following her around.

I cannot speak for Charlotte, however I have heard that it has a much more "cosmo" feel to it, especially being a magnet for entry level accounting, finance, and banking positions.
If you are looking for a singles scene and you choose to live in Cary, I think you missed the mark a bit. I like Cary, but it wouldn't be my first choice if I were single. I would look to downtown Raleigh and Durham first.

I'm 33 and live in North Raleigh (I cant' afford to live downtown) but I work downtown and enjoy the nightlife there. Yes I am married but we don't have kids and we go out to wine and tapas bars all the time. We also like to go see live music in Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill.

The Triangle and Charlotte are both great places to live but you need to choose the specific area within those regions wisely as they both have urban and surburban options.

With the specific field of work the OP is looking for I would focus on going where your best job opportunity turns up. Good Luck!

Old 04-03-2008, 07:40 PM

2,392 posts, read 4,924,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post

or

Dude, you discovered what I discovered a year and four months ago when I moved here. This metro area is one that is not littered with tons of non-college singles. It's a bit of a crap shoot. This is the land of 30+ married with two kids or mid 20s to mid 30s with boyfriend/girlfriend. I would see those hot looking ladies and think to myself "wow, this maybe a opportunity to strike up convo" only to either see them with two tots or a big a*s rock on their finger or the boyfriend bringing up the rear.

In my 11th month here I started hanging with this neat chick. We're now seeing each other but I met here because she had to come to my place of business and I had to assist her. That's how it is here. This ain't no singles paradise, sad to say. It's so freakin' random bro! I feel your pain. Good luck b/c you're going to need it.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:07 AM

8 posts, read 30,098 times
Interesting to hear the different points of view...thanks everyone for replying. Anyone with experience in Charlotte out there that can offer an opinion?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:12 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,861,847 times
Moved to the NC forum to give the Charlotte members and the Triangle members a chance to reply.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:26 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,806,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
In my 11th month here I started hanging with this neat chick. We're now seeing each other but I met here because she had to come to my place of business and I had to assist her. That's how it is here. This ain't no singles paradise, sad to say. It's so freakin' random bro! I feel your pain. Good luck b/c you're going to need it.
See, you did find someone that you like! Congrats, I am happy for you! And I'm sure it happened in a way you never expected.

The thing is, I think people have these preconceived notions of how they're supposed to meet people. They think they're going to meet a gorgeous guy/girl in that hazy bar and it's going to work out just the way it happens in the movies. It hardly ever works out that way, and the clubbing, bar hopping, etc. should be more of a source of entertainment and a way to meet people in general, but not something you rely on for meeting close friends and especially romantic interests. I met my guy while we were both looking for a roommate (no, we did not end up being roommates at that time). It had nothing to do with the singles "scene" or lack thereof where we were living.

I know I'm not single, but I have friends who are, and I think the singles scene here is complicated. From what I see, there are plenty of things to do for singles in this area, that is not an issue. There are tons of different organized groups for sports and different interests, there are plenty of cultural activities (check out some of the "what to do this weekend?" threads on this board for some ideas), and decent mature nightlife entertainment options in addition to the younger college-oriented ones. You can't go hang out at Hi-5 all the time and expect to meet someone who is going to be relationship material (nothing against Hi-5, but just by definition it is more geared to a younger crowd).

Rumble: Get out of Cary, now! Cary is, even in my mind, the married couple, 2.5 kids, house, yard, minivan/SUV laden place that you mention. It is a pretty much just a big suburb, afterall. Please come to downtown Raleigh sometime, there are planty of fun things to do, and it's not far of a trip from Cary. I think you will like it better there.

BrawMan: I can't comment on Charlotte, but I am in my late 20's and really enjoy Raleigh. I rent downtown and love it. There are art galleries, restaurants, boutiques, bars, etc. all within a short walk from my apartment. Of course there will always be college kids out and about since NCSU is so close, but there are plenty of young professionals around as well. In fact, several of my friends are your age and single. What I see is a lot of really great single people being super obsessively picky about who they date, and then complaining that the singles scene sucks (well, at least the people I know, but they don't really complain much about the "scene" itself). In any case, I think Raleigh is a great place to be a young single professional, especially since the downtown area continues to grow.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 AM

2,232 posts, read 4,376,864 times
First off, my opinion is based on visiting both Charlotte and Raleigh quite a few times. I think it can be difficult to meet single people anywhere you are. The older you get makes it more difficult. Many people by their mid to upper 20's will be coupled up or married. Anywhere you go it does appear that young people after college just disappear, but you just have to make more effort.

My advice is stay out of the suburbs, that is where families and the majority of couples are. You have to go to areas where the singles and young professionals are higher in numbers. This is usually in certain parts of cities or going to events where singles and young professionals would be. It does take some effort. There are single people out there because they eventually find each other.

As far as Charlotte and Raleigh, I find Charlotte to be more urban and have a nicer looking skyline, while Raleigh is more down-to-earth with potential of becoming more urban. I've found people to be nice in both areas, a little more so in Raleigh. They just seem more laid-back. Raleigh is closer to the ocean while Charlotte is closer to the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina