Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:18 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
You mean the biggest issue would be in Durham County and City.
According to the report I linked from the NC Justice Center's Budget and Tax Center Wake County and Durham County both have almost 17,000 voters w/o DMV ID. Mecklenberg County unsurprisingly has the highest number of voters w/o DMV ID at about 29,000 voters, so I guess you might say Meck would have the biggest issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 09:43 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
that report is what produces the 218K number statewide that I cited.

so what you and BC are saying is the Legislature shouldn't mess with an amendment, and just pass a law whatever they feel works that requires valid ID to vote. Just make it stand up to the inevitable legal challenge from the left.

and poppy - are you really OK not having any victims' rights should your children be victimized, or worse, somebody get killed?

maybe I missed that.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:03 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
that report is what produces the 218K number statewide that I cited.

so what you and BC are saying is the Legislature shouldn't mess with an amendment, and just pass a law whatever they feel works that requires valid ID to vote. Just make it stand up to the inevitable legal challenge from the left.

and poppy - are you really OK not having any victims' rights should your children be victimized, or worse, somebody get killed?

maybe I missed that.
I'm saying the GA shouldn't mess around with the constitution for partisan political reasons. And its hypocritical for you to disagree with that.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Which are the ones that the living former NC Supremes oppose?
The former Governors as well. Everyone of the six. Just as I do.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:

maybe I missed that.
I am absolutely fine with the laws for victims that we currently have and do not think we need a constitutional amendment(!). Absolute no need for that IMO.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:33 AM

so that's a yes. Which is fine, it's your opinion and it's how you'll vote.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm saying the GA shouldn't mess around with the constitution for partisan political reasons. And its hypocritical for you to disagree with that.
I agree that the State Constitution shouldn't be messed with for partisan reasons. So, no hypocrisy there.

Whether I happen to think we should require valid ID to vote, and whether we should provide some rights to guardians and survivors, is not hypocrisy is it?

The voting rights and the victim's rights appear to be in the Constitution. I know voting is. If something is in the Constitution, I'd rather change that than pass a law. At face value. Maybe passing laws is the right way to do it. I'm all ears.

I do think that many of the Republican leaders are very short-sighted, just as the Dems were a decade ago. Power is fleeting, and you should govern as if the rules and laws will someday apply to you!

Old 10-16-2018, 11:19 AM

If you're all ears, Bo (and other folks) you might be interested in the segment WUNC did on their noon State of Things show. It will rebroadcast at 8pm tonight and they also have a podcast they may put it up on. I only heard part of it, but it seemed like most of the show was dedicated to the amendments and they have Dems and Rs and I think some unaffiliateds and sounded like they were talking about each of them. Probably worth a listen to the full show.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:38 AM

Here's the direct link to the stream on WUNC. Folks from all sides discuss the amendments:

Constitutional Crisis? A Look At NC

Quote:
Constitutional Crisis? A Look At NC’s Proposed Amendments

Host Frank Stasio talks about North Carolina's proposed amendments with Gerry Cohen, former director of legislative drafting and special counsel to the North Carolina General Assembly, Jim Zink, associate professor of political science at North Carolina State University, Becki Gray, Senior Vice President of the John Locke Foundation, and Kareem Crayton, Interim Executive Director for the Southern Coalition for Social Justice.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:05 PM

329 posts, read 249,732 times
Default 4/6

I'll be voting for 4 out of the 6. I'm a Conservatarian with a streak of Populism.

No to the Judicial Amendment. I don't want too much power with any 1 governing body. 100 tyrants are just as bad as 1 tyrant and I don't give a hoot if they've got an R or a D next to their name.

No to the Ethics commission. I don't see a problem with the current setup

Yes to Voter ID. Don't need any aliens voting.
Yes to Victim's rights. Current law is too narrow.
Yes to Income Tax. Lower taxes are usually better

Yes to Hunting Amendment. This one is especially important as yuppies move into states that have a tradition of hunting. As the yuppies move in they begin to outlaw hunting, and/or making it difficult. I've heard of this before, but I can't recall where. In any event, glad we are going to try and put this into the State Constitution.

Where I live used to be a lot of farms, now it's being developed. Yuppies move in and get upset when there's a tractor on the road driving to windrow a field. Ain't nobody forced them to move here. Same sort of principle as the hunting amendment regarding respecting those that were here before you. Glad to see it being codified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina