Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 09:51 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You should hope that doesn't happen since the state's larger cities like Charlotte and Durham are the ones subsidizing the small towns like Lizard Lick.
Of course not, why would I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 09:56 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times
I read this morning, that in lame duck session this month, the NCGA will be looking at adding seats to the NC Supreme Court. Of course, these were the same type of rumors that ran wild in 2016, but who knows....

Old 11-08-2018, 10:28 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I don’t know what Durham would say. Does Durham County have 0 GOP county commissioners and 2/11 city council members that are GOP? Or less?

Durham is 43% White. Charlotte is 45% White. Raleigh is 58% White. The racial composition alone would pull CLT closer to the democrats in this environment.

I actually would be curious to know Durham’s political composition. Maybe someone from Durham knows off the top of their head
Durham is a pretty hostile environment for a Republican to run in (sort of like how Onslow or Yadkin Counties would be for Democrats). Out of Six City Council members on listed on Durham’s website, five of them are minorities (four of which are Black). The Mayor, Steve Schewel ran as a Democrat as did his competitor last time, Farad Ali. IF (and that’s a big if) Durham County has any Republican County Commissioners, it is more likely that they were elected from two rural parts of the county: Far East Durham County (towards Wake Forest and Falls Lake) or Far North Durham County (Rougemont/Bahama, anywhere North of Northern High School)

The Durham People’s Alliance, and the Durham Committee on the Affairs of Black People are very prevalent here and although they don’t see eye to eye on everything, they generally DO NOT endorse Republican candidates. Some of Trump’s lowest performing precincts in NC were in Durham County; He literally received 1.11% of the vote in a couple of precincts.

Also worth mentioning that Durham County is only one of Three or Four Counties in the entire state where most of the White Population vote for Democrats instead of Republicans.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 11-08-2018 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-08-2018, 10:40 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Durham is much more left than Charlotte and much more activist. Durham is academic and new tech, with a proud history of Black Wall Street, and tobacco. Charlotte is a business city at its core. All my in-laws live in Charlotte and my spouse grew up there. There is no way that Charlotte is anywhere near as liberal and progressive as Durham.

Remember, Charlotte gave us Pat McCrory.

You can drill down on the maps to the precincts.
Durham by precinct: https://er.ncsbe.gov/contest_details...ontest_id=1001
Charlotte by precinct: https://er.ncsbe.gov/contest_details...ontest_id=1001

Old 11-08-2018, 10:45 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I read this morning, that in lame duck session this month, the NCGA will be looking at adding seats to the NC Supreme Court. Of course, these were the same type of rumors that ran wild in 2016, but who knows....
I still wouldn’t put it past them. There’s a lot of spiteful pricks in the General Assembly.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:47 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Durham is much more left than Charlotte and much more activist. Durham is academic and new tech, with a proud history of Black Wall Street, and tobacco. Charlotte is a business city at its core. All my in-laws live in Charlotte and my spouse grew up there. There is no way that Charlotte is anywhere near as liberal and progressive as Durham.

You can drill down on the maps to the precincts.
Durham by precinct: https://er.ncsbe.gov/contest_details...ontest_id=1001
Charlotte by precinct: https://er.ncsbe.gov/contest_details...ontest_id=1001
Yeah Durham is pretty much a snapshot of the core constituencies of the Democratic Party on the national level.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:48 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
And Charlotte wonders why the rest of the state hates them.

/s

Old 11-08-2018, 10:49 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,077 times
Addendum to my last post:

Durham’s mayor, Steve Schewel founded the Independent Weekly in 1983, IndyWeek (The Independent Weekly’s current moniker) is a very liberal leaning publication.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:24 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
And Charlotte wonders why the rest of the state hates them.

/s
He was completely different as governor than as mayor. The NC GOP dragged him further to the right, which disappointed many Charlotteans who split their tickets to vote for him as governor.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:55 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
He was completely different as governor than as mayor. The NC GOP dragged him further to the right, which disappointed many Charlotteans who split their tickets to vote for him as governor.
Exactly. As far as I remember he kept out of most social issues and focused more on projects like the LYNX rail and the NASCAR HOF. If he had done as governor what he did in Charlotte I'm fairly confident most would have been okay with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina