Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2018, 11:38 AM

717 posts, read 449,967 times

Advertisements

This posts is not just about North Carolina but I put it in North Carolina because it’s a state that in 2018 has surged to #1 fastest growing industrial and financial economy in America and is a completely different Tar Heel State than could ever be recognized in 1956.

One of the top movies of 2018 is now playing in theatres and is called “Green Book”. It is based on the non-fiction story of African-American classical and jazz pianist Don Shirley who played with a trio and ventured into the Deep South from New York to perform in places where the races were segregated at the time.
For his own protection, he hired a white Italian boss driver with a God Father mafia accent to make sure Don Shirley made it alive.

In stories of Jim Crow known today, we read and hear about racism of the time being instigated by the presence of the klan, fueled by a revenge against the Federal Govt imploding on states rights, and a general population that both feared right wing extremists but also had a tradition of segregation that was normal life at the time. Various movie scenes where the group is scorned and bullied for not segregating. And police confrontations.
(Also In the movie the Italian guy in Raleigh, NC tries an Italian cocktail item and spits it out gross as it doesn’t taste up to par with the NY Italian food, on another note in 2018 there’s some unbelievably best in America Italian mom and pap restaurants transplants from NY, best recipes, best chefs, locally produced vegetables, it’s good as the best.)

Question 1:
Do the portrayals of the South in movies accurately reflect what it was like actually living in North Carolina in 1956? In other words, were there not local people who tried to do what they thought was right in spite of old traditions? I think there had to be some composition like this among non-minority NC residents in 1956:

10% of the people were extremely racist and believed that way in church in their own soul
50% did not deem segregation to be a moral necessity but they knew it was the system that governed them and didn’t want to stir problems, where if the laws changed they would just adapt
35% were among North Carolinans who actively defied Jim Crow laws (while keeping a low profile about it)
5% were openly resisting the old system loud as possible (mostly youth)

I think North Carolina had more safe havens than other states.

Question 2:
Is today’s North Carolina a completely different North Carolina entirely?

Here’s my experience
-The hotels that used to be segregated in 1956 are now welcomed to all Travel Lodge, Marriott courtyards, Super8, Residence Inn, and there is very high emphasis on diversity hiring with large numbers of different races and ethnicities not just working but managing the franchises.

-The police representation is also much more diverse, not just racially and ethically but gender-wise as well. In some parts of the state, you still have strict law enforcement for pulling over seemingly drunk people, those speeding, those disrupting a quiet area, but the judgments are far more objective and not subjective. It is far more likely regardless of what you look like, if you are cooperative you’ll get the same outcome no matter your gender or skin color, but can’t say for sure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 12:08 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times
As for question one....I was born in 1954. I'd surmise my parents were THEN in your 50% category. Following along with what was current but not rebellious.

Would like to make clear that I am supremely proud of my parents, who NEVER in any way exhibited any racism or any other bias, to my knowledge, nor were my brother and I taught racism at home. All peoples were to be respected and I still hold this view today.

Question two....I agree completely with your assessment of NC now....pleased to say it too. Personally I know of no particular instance of widespread racism....that does mean there aren't pockets of these people, just that I don't know of any. And I'm quite observant about this.

Diversity now inhabits NC, a good thing.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:07 AM

1,734 posts, read 2,563,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
This posts is not just about North Carolina but I put it in North Carolina because it’s a state that in 2018 has surged to #1 fastest growing industrial and financial economy in America ......
I'm just curious who gave North Carolina that illustrious title ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: