U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-16-2006, 02:43 PM

7 posts, read 46,299 times

Advertisements

I have a 3 and 5 year old who have never seen snow (we live in Florida)
We wanted to find a great kid friendly resort that has lots of snow activity but SKIING is NOT necessary. We are not ready for skiing yet, we just want to experience snow and clown around. We have no clue where to go, we just wanted to find a place we could drive to. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 03:35 PM

218 posts, read 27,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casawahl View Post
I have a 3 and 5 year old who have never seen snow (we live in Florida)
We wanted to find a great kid friendly resort that has lots of snow activity but SKIING is NOT necessary. We are not ready for skiing yet, we just want to experience snow and clown around. We have no clue where to go, we just wanted to find a place we could drive to. Thanks!
Winterplace in WV is a ski resort, but they have a lot of kid friendly slopes, and a tubing park. It's a seperate area that is a big hill divided into lanes for the purpose of sliding down on a intertube. A lot of the kids just play in the snow and make snowmen and what not in this area as well. Winterplace is just off the interstate, so it's easy to get to.

Their may be alternatives like that here in NC, but I'm not aware of them. The drive to most of the resorts here can be quite cumbersome.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:36 PM

1,531 posts, read 5,268,955 times
If you're looking for something anytime soon, don't look to NC. Today, much of the state was in the upper 60s.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:42 PM

45,095 posts, read 56,964,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte ePro View Post
Winterplace in WV is a ski resort, but they have a lot of kid friendly slopes, and a tubing park. It's a seperate area that is a big hill divided into lanes for the purpose of sliding down on a intertube. A lot of the kids just play in the snow and make snowmen and what not in this area as well. Winterplace is just off the interstate, so it's easy to get to.

Their may be alternatives like that here in NC, but I'm not aware of them. The drive to most of the resorts here can be quite cumbersome.
Hey, we're on the same wavelength, again The first thing that popped in my head was Winterplace. I can spend a whole day just snow tubing there myself

Old 12-16-2006, 09:02 PM

1,611 posts, read 3,282,590 times
The weather has been so crazy for the past few years. Back in Ny we did nto get real snow until after Christmas, so to be sure to see snow one would best go to Vermont!!!!

Old 12-16-2006, 11:50 PM

505 posts, read 1,655,488 times
There are plenty of places in the NC mountains. Our mountains avg 50-60 inches of snow per year in higher elevations, and the western facing slopes.

The best are:

Appalachian mnt
Sugar mnt
Ski Beech

I would wait till Jan though. We are having well above average temps. (more than 20 degrees above normal)

You go to those places in Jan and you will see and get plenty of snow. I do agree that WV is always the best choice. But hey, NC is much closer to Fl.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 11,058 times
I also have 3 kids who wants to see snow this year (2010). We don't want to drive to far. Will it snow in NC on Christmas weekend? Out the Appalachian Mnt. Sugar Mnt and Ski Beech, which place will have better chances of snow?

Old 12-05-2010, 04:13 PM

22,063 posts, read 40,023,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise Colon View Post
I also have 3 kids who wants to see snow this year (2010). We don't want to drive to far. Will it snow in NC on Christmas weekend? Out the Appalachian Mnt. Sugar Mnt and Ski Beech, which place will have better chances of snow?
All three mention above are within same area and is located in area where snow is higher probability in NC if anything all three are ski resorts so it could be combination of natural and man made snow. It too early to predict what mother nature will do.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:14 PM

3,073 posts, read 4,473,324 times
Hang around Boone NC this time of year. You will see it soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: