Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:06 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times

Advertisements

I think Saxapahaw is a village, but it's probably not what the OP is looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 10:14 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,975,424 times
I think village simply is a concept in the NE not found here

Furthermore it's muchore normative to call places towns or cities

Old 02-17-2019, 01:58 PM

Some states have an official "village" designation that has a legal definition, but NC does not. A community can call itself whatever it wants in NC. https://www.nclm.org/advocacy/how-nc-cities-work

Village as a concept is certainly not limited to New England or the Northeast (not sure which you meant by NE). There were lots of mill villages in North Carolina in the textile heyday. I think Saxapahaw is the epitome of a village in North Carolina. It doesn't even have a stoplight, but has two or three churches, two schools, 2 or 3 restaurants, a general store, the restored mill with a fabulous venue for music, weddings, and other events, the mill village houses, and restored apartments, a post office. However, I don't think it's what a conservative yankee is looking for as it has a bit of a hippie meets rural NC feel.

Last edited by poppydog; 02-17-2019 at 02:39 PM..

Old 02-17-2019, 02:33 PM

For our conservative Yankee friend, if you're still reading I think you might like to check out Hickory NC or maybe the Greenville SC area. (Neither are villages, btw). Hickory is pretty conservative politically and socially, but would put you close to Charlotte or the mountains for weekend getaways or special events.

Greenville is growing more than Hickory, but still leans conservative although probably not quite as conservative as Hickory. You can look up past election results. I do think SC is a little more conservative than NC.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:18 PM

20 posts, read 27,738 times
We actually live in the village neighborhood - that is why I phrased it that way....referring to the area around the shopping/dining/Carolina Hotel - that is the Village of Pinehurst. I love the area and wanted them to know that if I was moving to Pinehurst I would buy in The Village....does that make sense? I don’t refer to the whole city as TheVillage of Pinehurst...just one area.....

Old 02-20-2019, 03:34 PM

6,113 posts, read 4,603,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Old NC democrats is reason, republican registration is growing(albeit slowly) while Democratic is shrinking in the state.
Unless something has dramatically changed in the last 3 1/2 months, the voters who are unaffiliated with a party are the growing group of voters in North Carolina. Both Democrats and Republicans have lost some of their percentage share of total voters.

https://www.wfdd.org/story/north-car...iliated-voters

Last edited by Jowel; 02-20-2019 at 04:32 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 05:39 PM

329 posts, read 249,937 times
Default Lots leaving the political parties

I used to be a Republican until they went too liberal on immigration years ago. Now I'm happily an unaffiliated mixture of Conservatarian and Populist...

Old 02-23-2019, 02:35 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,724,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Old NC democrats is reason, republican registration is growing(albeit slowly) while Democratic is shrinking in the state.
More people are going unaffiliated so looking at just party registrations doesn't show the full story. I think people are getting tired of this whole "politics is turning into a sport" game, where putting party before country is getting us nowhere as a unified nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina