Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 08:05 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I think its funny that a supposed conservative likes their own state's less conservative legislature more than another states more conservative legislature. Thats good stuff!
Pray tell, who is that "supposed conservative"? And there are different brands of conservatism so that doesn't surprise me one bit.

Anyway, the OP will have absolutely no problem finding her fit in NC, the 2008 state presidential elections results notwithstanding. There's no need for her to look south of the border at all, unless she chooses to expand her search. But it's not necessary.

Oh, and SC may be conservative but it's more urban than rural. Facts do matter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbani..._United_States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 06:35 PM

121 posts, read 270,871 times
Default semi rural / rural

I think Yadkinville is pretty nice, less than an hour from city Winston salem

Old 02-06-2019, 10:58 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylife11214 View Post
Can you suggest any nice rural areas to check out when we visit? Looking to stay maybe an hour from a city to find work.
Finding work is generally a good thing to do BEFORE you pick where you live. And do you really want an hour daily commute?

You may find this map very helpful to see where in the US people voted for Trump or not. It's down to the precinct level.

I do echo those who say South Carolina is more conservative overall than NC (which went for Obama in 2008 and is always a swing state). Are you hell-bent on NC?

Old 02-06-2019, 04:23 PM

6 posts, read 8,072 times
We figured the south would be a place where we would find more like minded people, but we are open to areas other than NC. We also considered PA also. My husband is in the Insurance/Claims adjuster field.

Thanks!!

Old 02-06-2019, 04:26 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,404,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylife11214 View Post
We figured the south would be a place where we would find more like minded people, but we are open to areas other than NC. We also considered PA also. My husband is in the Insurance/Claims adjuster field.

Thanks!!
I like how the liberal members on this forum are steering you away, don't let them deter you. They would never do this to a liberal person trying to move in, they hop on those threads with the ye old Asheville/ chapel hill stuff despite the state being anything but a liberal utopia.... NC is a fine choice as is PA! NC hasn't voted democrat for president since Obama and before 08 nothing... either way presidential politics doesn't reflect the state as much as what legislature of the state looks like imo.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:57 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I like how the liberal members on this forum are steering you away, don't let them deter you. They would never do this to a liberal person trying to move in, they hop on those threads with the ye old Asheville/ chapel hill stuff despite the state being anything but a liberal utopia.... NC is a fine choice as is PA! NC hasn't voted democrat for president since Obama and before 08 nothing... either way presidential politics doesn't reflect the state as much as what legislature of the state looks like imo.
LOL, nobody is "steering the OP away", just providing honest opinions and advice. And the state legislature looks much less republican than it did prior to the last election. In fact, the veto proof majority has been broken, and a democrat took the governor's office in 2016.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:57 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,815,906 times
Quote:
In fact, the veto proof majority has been broken, and a democrat took the governor's office in 2016.
What makes it even sweeter is that some of Trump’s voters also voted for Cooper. Kinda shows how much McCrory was hated. Screwing over the Lake Norman area with a rotten I-77 toll lane contract will do that to ya.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
LOL, nobody is "steering the OP away", just providing honest opinions and advice. And the state legislature looks much less republican than it did prior to the last election. In fact, the veto proof majority has been broken, and a democrat took the governor's office in 2016.
Democrat doesn’t necessarily equal liberal . Modern day idea of what liberal is places like Seattle, North Carolina dems are still no where near that left leaning though have joined with the National party instead of like old NC dems . Also a republican could just as easily take the governorship back. Roy copper was running against a wildly unpopular governor... NC voted cooper same year it voted for trump.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:04 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Quote:
Democrat doesn’t necessarily equal liberal . Modern day idea of what liberal is places like Seattle, North Carolina dems are still no where near that left leaning though have joined with the National party instead of like old NC dems .
Ok, I guess republican doesn't equal conservative either. Come on man.

Quote:
Also a republican could just as easily take the governorship back. Roy copper was running against a wildly unpopular governor... NC voted cooper same year it voted for trump.
Lol, yea, lots of things could happen too. An asteroid could hit the earth and wipe out all life. You're just trying to ignore all facts contrary to your preconceived notions.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Ok, I guess republican doesn't equal conservative either. Come on man.

Lol, yea, lots of things could happen too. An asteroid could hit the earth and wipe out all life. You're just trying to ignore all facts contrary to your preconceived notions.
What preconceived notion? I noticed a behavior on this thread from certain members I hadn’t noticed on similar threads with different political backgrounds. I pointed it out, whether it’s true or not doesn’t change the fact that there has never been a thread where a liberal said moving to NC... and people began suggesting look maybe at Virginia or Maryland. And yes NC Democrats are not exactly far left on the spectrum and nor do they fit the stereotypical modern liberal mold. Though NC democrats have shifted left and seem toe to toe with the national party now.

Also your asteroid analogy to a republican Governor winning in a republican leaning swing state is hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina