Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 03:37 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
What preconceived notion? I noticed a behavior on this thread from certain members I hadn’t noticed on similar threads with different political backgrounds. I pointed it out, whether it’s true or not doesn’t change the fact that there has never been a thread where a liberal said moving to NC... and people began suggesting look maybe at Virginia or Maryland. And yes NC Democrats are not exactly far left on the spectrum and nor do they fit the stereotypical modern liberal mold. Though NC democrats have shifted left and seem toe to toe with the national party now.
Thats not a fact because their have been many, many threads such as that.

See post #35: http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...entucky-4.html

And #22 here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...onville-3.html

And post #2 here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...coast-usa.html

Last edited by BC1960; 02-07-2019 at 03:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 05:29 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Thats not a fact because their have been many, many threads such as that.

See post #35: http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...entucky-4.html

And #22 here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...onville-3.html

And post #2 here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...coast-usa.html
Well then I stand corrected it was that easy, that’s all you had to di . No long response or anything

Old 02-07-2019, 07:18 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I pointed it out, whether it’s true or not doesn’t change the fact that there has never been a thread where a liberal said moving to NC
I think your concept of "true" needs some work.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:28 AM

730 posts, read 774,727 times
Quote:
The City Asheville is not politically conservative.
A higher percentage in Asheville voted for Trump than did in the Triangle or Charlotte.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:34 AM

If OP needs insurance adjuster work, which would seem to fall in more urban areas, and wants conservative I'd suggest looking near Greenville/Spartanburg SC.

If the OP is coming out of the NYC area the GSP area is a little more 'worldly' from being the hub for European auto manufacturing in the US while still being very conservative.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:51 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
A higher percentage in Asheville voted for Trump than did in the Triangle or Charlotte.
I guess you don't know much about Asheville, do you?

And in regards to voting, there are no stats by city. Buncombe County, excluding Asheville, is very conservative. And of the County's 260,000 people, only 90,000 live in the city of Asheville. So its not surprising that Lyin' Donnie received a higher percentage of the vote in Buncombe County as a whole, versus other counties where one city dominates their county's population like Durham, Wake or Mecklenburg.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I guess you don't know much about Asheville, do you?

And in regards to voting, there are no stats by city. Buncombe County, excluding Asheville, is very conservative. And of the County's 260,000 people, only 90,000 live in the city of Asheville. So its not surprising that Lyin' Donnie received a higher percentage of the vote in Buncombe County as a whole, versus other counties where one city dominates their county's population like Durham, Wake or Mecklenburg.
I also assumed in was the Hendersonville retirees that made that percentage happen.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:37 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I do echo those who say South Carolina is more conservative overall than NC (which went for Obama in 2008 and is always a swing state). Are you hell-bent on NC?
Sure SC is more conservative than NC, but people are acting like all of NC is like the core counties of the Triangle. Just like many other states and almost every other Southern state, the vast majority of NC geographically is conservative and this includes the rural counties of eastern NC with large Black populations. Because NC is geographically larger than SC, this means that the OP will at least have the same number of options for places to live in NC as SC (in reality, probably more).

Some of y'all put ENTIRELY too much stock in the 2008 presidential election results in NC and conveniently forget that there have been two other presidential elections since then--that did not go the same way as it did in '08--and, like most other Southern states since 2010, NC also saw its state legislature return to Republican control for the first time since Reconstruction and that same legislature has managed to keep the state in the national headlines for very unflattering reasons for the past several years. It's laughable to assert that NC has "always been a swing state" as that is just not true. Don't confuse swing state status (which is determined by much more than the results of one presidential election) with gradually being more competitive for Democratic candidates, and in fits and starts at that. The overall political picture of the state is being grossly distorted by a few folks here.

All of this hand-wringing over a conservative Christian wanting to move to NC is quite pitiful honestly, especially when many of the conservative areas in NC could use some new residents. Speaking of SC, Greenville is pretty conservative and has attracted many residents that happen to be conservative Christians over the past several decades. Over time, not only has the city NOT tanked or become an embarrassment for the state, but its has become one of the nation's leading regions for international investment, has a downtown that has become a nationally-known revitalization model, and has a university located not too far away that has received national recognition for their college football program. With that said, I'm pretty sure one conservative Christian family moving to NC won't spell doom and gloom for the state (and let's not act as though all of the recommendations of SC were based on objectivity without any bias). If the "optics" of such a potential move results in such consternation, then I'd say it's high time NC considered retiring its state motto. And that's to say nothing of the fact that many conservative Christians have been moving to NC since the 70's so apparently it's already a thing...but let's not publicize that too loudly of course.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:30 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Rural areas within metros:

Larger Metros:
Charlotte (western 2/3 of Lincoln County, Cleveland County, central/northern Iredell County, southern Lancaster County)

Greensboro/Winston Salem (Rockingham County, Randolph County, northern half of Davidson County)

Raleigh/Durham (Lee County, Chatham County, Franklin County)

Smaller Metros:
Asheville (Henderson County, Haywood County, and Madison County)

Wilmington (Pender County, northern and western Brunswick County)

All 5 metros rank well nationally and have rurals areas than still have convenient access to the central cities. We are Independent Conservatives. No matter which place you pick, you should have no problem finding your niche. No matter if you're Liberal or Conservative, if you're not a jerk, respect others, can agree to disagree, you will have no problem. Generally speaking, people of different beliefs get along well in NC. When people don't obsess about politics and just interact on a personal level with others, we all get along much better. Good luck in your search wherever you end up!

Old 02-10-2019, 12:45 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylife11214 View Post
Native New Yorker looking to relocate down south. Looking for a good place to raise a child in a like-minded conservative Christian area ....and im sure you've guess NYC AINT IT !!

Any recommendations? Looking for simple life and country living...and my husband refuses to live near the water. We know a lot of Northerners head to the triangle area but to be honest, we want a different experience. We have people in Cary and they arent crazy about the area anymore. Know people in the Lake Norman area also that love it (think its Concord?)

We are heading there in May to look at areas. Your suggestions are appreciated!!
Would it be incorrect to assume that you're from Upstate NY? Your mention of NYC makes me wonder.

Several posters have mentioned SC and Greenville, SC specifically. Bob Jones is in Greenville, SC. It's extremely popular with evangelical christians in South Jersey. Hope that helps you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina