Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 07:47 PM

128 posts, read 641,113 times

Advertisements

I am sure I am "speaking" for hundreds of people when i ask these questions:

1) What area other than Wake County has GREAT schools, nice communities, lots of shops, hilly areas (i personally love that), low crime rate, new shopping plazas, friendly people and beautiful scenery that is NEAR Wake County. We work from home, so commuting is not a problem for us. I'm not asking for much, am i LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2006, 08:27 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,394 times
Default Wake

You may want to check out Chapel Hill or Hillsborough, both of which are adjacent to Wake County. Northern Durham County has some hilly areas - as far as the Triangle is concerned - but I'm not sure about the schools since I don't live there.

NW Guilford County (where Greensboro is located) meets your criteria, except that it is about a 1.5-hour drive from my house to Raleigh - so that doesn't fit into your equation. Just a gratuitous plug for where I live.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-30-2006, 08:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Chapel Hill has the best schools in the state.... because unlike Wake County, they don't have a county wide school system but rather a city-wide one. That area tends to be more expensive than Wake county though. But it's the only place I can think of that fits your description. All of the other areas outside of Wake County have very poor schools.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:21 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,292 times
Durham is in Durham County and Chapel Hill is in Orange County.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:04 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,074 times
If you want to see hilly go to the Govenors Club subdivision in Chapel Hill. It is beautiful there. Make sure your breaks are working :-) I know a builder that builds homes in that subdivision. That is Orange County, and is close to Wake county so you wouldn't have a problem there. It does tend to be a bit more expensive than Wake. It revolves around the college and has a nice feel to the area. If you need me to send or fax you any local info let me know. I will send you a private message with my website, which has alot of local info that may be of help to you. Best of Luck to you.

Debbie

Old 05-02-2006, 08:30 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,627 times
Debbie~

I understand that you're in the RE biz, so I wondered if you had any knowledge or experience you could share with respect to the article in the link below (as it might relate to North Carolina, and specifically newcomers). It's quite sobering and very concerning.

Ron

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/charlotte/living/home/14348656.htm?source=rss&channel=charlotte_home (broken link)

Old 05-02-2006, 03:14 PM

I was taught and fully believe in the federal fair housing act. I didn't even have to be taught that, because in my book everyone is treated fairly. It is ultimately up to the buyer where they choose to live and what fits into their budget. It is against Federal Fair Housing to steer people to certain neighborhoods. I know of no agent
that does this. Not saying there arn't any, I just don't know of any that have done that. If I did they wouldn't keep their license very long. You are going to run into people in any business and any state that have poor business tactics. You have to do your homework and steer away from that type of person. I think you would be able to tell if they were steering you towards a certain neighborhood. If you find that the case make sure you tell. You know I would. Anyway Best of Luck to anyone moving into the area. It really is a wonderful place to live. Thanks for that article. That was the first time I read it.

Debbie

Old 05-02-2006, 04:06 PM

First I had read of that too. And although I thought those tactics were long behind us, I keep forgetting that we're all human.

I'm sure you can appreciate that it would be something to think about when considering a relocation--not just to NC, but anywhere. Anyway, glad you're on the good side.

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, there's a certain RE company--I won't mention names--that guarantees to buy your house after 6 months (if it hasn't sold by then) if you use them for buying a new one. In your opinion, could this be one of those "too good to be true" situations?

Old 05-02-2006, 07:19 PM

Sorry I haven't heard of that. Does sound too good to be true, but hey if it is true thats a good deal. Hopefully your house if it is marketed correctly should sell way before 6 months. Hmmm interesting. Are you relocating?

Old 05-03-2006, 09:38 AM

Yep. We're 90% committed to Charlotte/Huntersville. Suburban Atlanta has a shot, but NC colleges make it a better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina