Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2019, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,199 times

Advertisements

My soon to be husband was divorced on October 8th 2018 and purchased a house on September 28th 2018. It states on every document that he is a married man as his sole and separate property. I thought that to be weird considering all of the divorce documents and what not were signed and completed but just awaiting the judges signature to finalize? In the Residential application form he filled out under assets and liabilities he checked the box under "Completed" (JOINTLY) for Co-Borrower but the C0-Borrower section is blank. I did not sign anything, so should I be worried? This is my first soon to be marriage and I am ignorant to a lot of things. Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 10:18 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia D View Post
My soon to be husband was divorced on October 8th 2018 and purchased a house on September 28th 2018. It states on every document that he is a married man as his sole and separate property. I thought that to be weird considering all of the divorce documents and what not were signed and completed but just awaiting the judges signature to finalize? In the Residential application form he filled out under assets and liabilities he checked the box under "Completed" (JOINTLY) for Co-Borrower but the C0-Borrower section is blank. I did not sign anything, so should I be worried? This is my first soon to be marriage and I am ignorant to a lot of things. Help
You should explain it to a lawyer, but do it much clearer than you did here.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:28 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
The judge hadn't signed off so he was in fact still married when he bought his house. I'm not sure what you're worried about. Do you think that you were supposed to be a co-borrower or not a co-borrower? If you didn't sign any documents on closing day and you didn't purchase the house together how could you be responsible?

Of course seek real legal advice from a licensed attorney.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:18 PM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
It states on every document that he is a married man as his sole and separate property.
A little late now, but NC has a Free Trader Agreement form that the still married couple can sign. It basically says that husband and wife are currently married and going through the divorce process, and both agree that either party can buy real estate on their own, separate from the other party.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:28 PM

Thank you all for your feedback, I really do appreciate it. He is now obviously divorced but his ex is still listed as his beneficiary on all documents that he had claimed he fixed. There is mail addressed to her with our address on the house we just bought. The same house that she signed a disclaimer deed on. I don't know if I'm just paranoid, ignorant or both but my gut tells me something is going on. Your thoughts

Old 03-01-2019, 09:39 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
He got divorced in Oct of 2018 and 4 months later he’s planning on getting married again?
I think that you have more to think about than his home ownership.
What’s your gut have to say about that? Just sayin.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:25 PM

very true, you are absolutely right. I was so wrapped up with everything going on around me and I missed the big picture. I am so stupid. I would like to keep what is left of my sanity, so it looks like I just became single. You and my gut were right. Hats off to you

Old 03-07-2019, 02:33 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
He got divorced in Oct of 2018 and 4 months later he’s planning on getting married again?
I think that you have more to think about than his home ownership.
What’s your gut have to say about that? Just sayin.
I know a woman who hasn't lived with her husband for over 15 years. Long story, but they're still married. She asked him to not file unless he intended to remarry because he has really good health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina