U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2006, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,733 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am graduating next year and my husband and I are researching to move back down south - we are currently in NJ and it is the most awful place on EARTH! (for us). We are looking into the western part of the state (NC)- and trying to stay within 2 hours of Kingsport Tennesse(family). I am a biology major/ecology being my speciality. We want small town life, but need to be close to a city so that I can find employment. I also prefer to be near waterways like lakes and rivers..(part of my interest in ecology). I have been looking at Concord, Gastonia...any other suggestions? We will be starting a family after we move there - so we need a good school system and a nice/SAFE area to raise children. Thank you in advance for your reply!! :-)
V
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2006, 11:16 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,685,808 times
Both Gastonia and Concord are too far away if you want to be within 2 hours of Kingsport, TN. About the only metro area in NC that would meet that requirement would be Asheville. Population around 70K. Knoxville, TN would probably be better since it's much bigger than Asheville.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-04-2006 at 11:24 AM..

Old 05-10-2006, 01:20 PM

58 posts, read 318,011 times
Kannapolis is a small town, although it is not that close to Tenn., they are building the largest most state-of-the-art facility in the nation. See for yourself.

Check out this site, this is some of what they have to say:

http://www.northcarolina.edu/content...kannapolis.htm

On Monday, September 12, 2005, David H. Murdock, owner of Castle & Cooke, Inc. and Dole Food Company, Inc., and Molly Corbett Broad, president of the 16-campus University of North Carolina, unveiled plans for the North Carolina Research Campus, a massive scientific and economic revitalization project that encompasses the former Cannon Mills plant and entire downtown area of Kannapolis, North Carolina.

When completed, the 350-acre campus will house the most state-of-the-art laboratory space in the nation and is expected to become home to over 100 biotechnology companies. A partnership with the University of North Carolina, including UNC-Chapel Hill, North Carolina State University, and the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, has been forged to advance groundbreaking research focused on health and nutrition and to enable each of these institutions to have a physical presence in Kannapolis.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:11 PM

1,117 posts, read 3,240,522 times
Northern Caldwell county between Lenoir and Blowing Rock has many many tree farms. The fertilizer they are using is becoming a problem for the rivers and creeks in the area. I have been told that the fish are carrying a high mercury content. Sounds like your cup of tea and it's about hour and 1/4 to Kingsport.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:23 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,685,808 times
Ashe County has many Christmas tree farms too. Jefferson, NC to Kingsport, TN around 2 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or