U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 02:50 PM

16 posts, read 37,896 times

Advertisements

We're looking east of I95. Lots of little towns, some closer to cities than others, but lots to choose from. No more than an hour from the shoreline is a prerequisite!

Sherry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2006, 05:25 PM

192 posts, read 593,595 times
Sherry--

As a native & resident of the NC's Coastal Plain region, I'd like to caution you strongly (I'm not trying to discourage you, or run you away, I am truly trying to caution you) .... if you want to locate on NC's coast, "no more than an hour from the shoreline", you will definately be in a direct-hit, hurricane zone.

Please educate yourself thoroughly on what that means. You truly should not take the hurricane threat lightly, anywhere on NC's Coastal Plain region (everything east of Raleigh).

There are many locations that will meet your criteria. The best of luck to you.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:39 PM

104 posts, read 542,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese
My Uncle is from Roselle Park too. He just sold his house and moved into a senior apt. building. He just couldn't afford the property taxes anymore. It's just so unfortunate that a house that he worked so hard for (he and so many others here in NJ) had to be sold because he could no longer afford to pay the darn taxes. It makes you really consider, "Why bother if I can't stay here after retirement."

Joshua-What areas are you looking at an hour from the beaches?? We'd be willing to be that far from the coast. I don't want to live right on the beach...hurricanes scare me a little.
The same will happen here if we listen to every one who moves here screaming for better schools even before they start paying taxes. It doesn't work that way. Things have to be paid for including taxes and people need to think about that and not vote for everything they would 'like to see'. If the schools aren't good enough, they should enroll in private school and pay their own way. Same with roads and other things. I am tired of hearing northerners who just landed scream for toll roads! They should go back wherever they came from if they like toll roads.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:42 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,438,415 times
I promise if we come there we won't say a word about toll roads.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:10 PM

4 posts, read 20,751 times
I am in Dunellen, NJ looking at the Wilmington / North Myrtle Beach areas...for the same reasons you guys are :-) Getting way too expensive, sick of the winters, etc. We have an offer on our house and are researching neighborhoods now. My DH wants to be close to the water. We both want to be in a nice newer neighborhood (a development preferably) and close enough to an area where we can find work. He is an electrician / property manager. I am in HR but looking to switch to teaching and stay HOME when we have kids! Any suggestions?

Old 05-15-2006, 08:50 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,438,415 times
Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions yet. I'm just getting started with my research, but I will pass along anything I learn. Good Luck!!

I will say that I think we are going to look a little more inland than what I originally thought. The thought of getting hit with a hurricane the first year we're there (just how our luck would go ) does not appeal to me.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 10,753 times
it seems like all of us want out of NJ!

I live along the shore and have put my house on the market. I also just purchased a new home in Wake Forest. I hate to leave NJ but the cost of living is too much!

We should have a "re-union" in a year to see how we all made out!

Old 05-16-2006, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 10,528 times
Default Moved here from NJ

My family moved from Hillsborough NJ to Indian Trail NC last July. It is in Union County oustside of Charlotte. Originally we thought of the Raleigh Durham Area but Charlotte was a better pick for us. A growing city with more opportunities . 3 hours from the mountains and snow and 2 1/2 hours from the beach. It is worth the drive for me because the climate we have for most of the year is worth the little longer drive to get to the beach We sold our 2 bedroom condo for $280,000. We are closing on a 4 bedroom 3 full bath house in Lake Park NC at the end of the month we got for under $200,000 Put Lake Park NC in a search engine and check it out. In April of 2005, My husband and I flew down into RDU with the intention of checking out the Apex area. We drove to Charlotte and fell in love with the Charlotte area. Carowinds Amusement Park is just over the border into SC and takes only 25 minutes to get there. The water park is included in the admission price. My kids ages are 19, 13, 7. My 13 year old will be going to a high school that just opened up in August of 05.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:23 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,357,320 times
jasti67,
I'll be moving to Union County next month. Do you love it?
I have my house already and it's killing me to wait!!

Old 05-16-2006, 01:43 PM

6 posts, read 10,528 times
yes, we are very happy since moving. We rented an apartment. Although it was tough,it was definitly worth doing so. I got a real feel for what I needed for my kids. Where is your house, Jerseymom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina