Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:32 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,535 times

Advertisements

many men never wear socks with loafers or bits-ever
peanuts dropped in a co-cola bottle
lance nabs, boiled peanuts, snap beans, butter beans, r c cola,sundrop, mater sandwiches, banana and mayo sandwiches, banana and peanut butter sandwiches, tomatoes cucumbers mixed with vinegar, bass farm sausage, Duke's mayo, Mt Olive pickles, Texas Pete, Carolina Treat, Dale's, oyster roasts, watermelon seed spitting contest, greased watermelon in the deep end on Julie 4th, a mason jar of blueberry shine, beach music, the shag, older men in khaki units, The Masters, The Derby, Azalia Festival, Furniture Mart, Piggly Wiggly, fried okra, bourbon and sourmash, charlie daniels,the allman brothers, marshall tucker band,doc watson, Andy, Barney, the outer banks, cold mountain, our barrier islands, white bucks, seersucker, The Big Rock, MerleFest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 09:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
MMMMMMM...we had an oyster roast at the beach this past winter. My DH and cousins went out in the sound for the whole day and brought back 16 BUSHELS for the Flotilla. This was my husband's first time oyestering (I'm a native and he isn't) and I think he was pretty suprised how difficult it was. We dig a pit in the sand, fill with fire and oysters and eat them all night long (with Texas Pete!)
We always do a greased watermelon in the deep end on the 4th, I made cuke and tomatoes in vinegar (and olive oil) for dinner tonight (really!). I eat Lance Nabs for lunch at least twice a week,

Old 04-11-2008, 06:26 AM

149 posts, read 515,668 times
dont forget pig picking, craw dads and low country boils!

sadly, the latter two are no no's for me, after a sudden adult onset of shellfish allergy (maybe too many years of shoving as much as possible into my stomach? lol)

Old 04-11-2008, 06:47 AM

460 posts, read 1,274,385 times
don't forget Neese's sausage...esp. the 'hot'. Yum!
I love cucumbers in vinegar...and then using that same vinegar on a side of collards...and then a spoonful of that on a slab of fried cornbread. *thud*
Other than the weather...my favorite thing about being a Southerner is the food!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:22 AM

57 posts, read 247,669 times
Anybody remember Goody's headache powder? My great-grandparents always took that stuff. I can't imagine choosing that over swallowing a pill!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:23 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
When we lived close to the NC coast, my husband would find conch when he went floundering, and would make conch stew for us -- much like a New England clam chowder. Perfect accompaniment to those oysters!

NC icons? How could you not mention UNC's ram -- as well known, if not more so, than the Georgia Bulldog. Or what about NC State's wolf?

The Biltmore House.

NC writers like Rourk (from Southport) and Thomas Wolfe (from Asheville). Maya Angelou. Nicholas Sparks. Celia Rivenbark.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:50 AM

445 posts, read 1,859,419 times
For those trying to watch their weight, peanuts in Coke Zero is pretty close to peanuts in a regular Coke. Trying doing this at work and see what kind of response you get. You'll be able to tell right away who is a Southerner and who isn't.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
When we lived close to the NC coast, my husband would find conch when he went floundering, and would make conch stew for us -- much like a New England clam chowder. Perfect accompaniment to those oysters!

NC icons? How could you not mention UNC's ram -- as well known, if not more so, than the Georgia Bulldog. Or what about NC State's wolf?

The Biltmore House.

NC writers like Rourk (from Southport) and Thomas Wolfe (from Asheville). Maya Angelou. Nicholas Sparks. Celia Rivenbark.
The tour of the Thomas Wolfe home in Asheville is time well-spent.
Very entertaining, with great docents.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post

The Biltmore House.

Famous North Carolinians
Charles Kuralt
President Andrew Jackson
Charlie Rose
Ava Gardner
James Taylor
Sugar Ray Leonard
Andy Griffith
David Brinkley
Astronaut Micheal Smith
President James Polk
First Lady Dolly Madison

Icons created by native Bob Timberlake of Lexington NC
Timberlake Painting
Timberlake log houses
Furniture
Timberlake Gallery (design to look like a lodge portion of his child hood home)

Infamous light houses that go up and down the coast and the most photographed one Cape Hatteras.

Texas Pete
Krispy Kreme doughnuts

Old 04-11-2008, 08:37 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times
When I first moved to NC, two things stuck out at me.

(1) Liver mush (spelling ?) The people I worked with talked about it. I saw it once. Never would I touch it in a thousand years. Has anyone heard of this?

(2) Bar-B-Q that wasn't red (from the sauce) and shredded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina