U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2019, 06:49 AM

166 posts, read 68,159 times

Advertisements

My wife works in nonprofit fundraising in N. Virginia and we are considering a move to North Carolina. She has concerns about finding work in her field and isn't a risk-taker, so I nudge her on it. I think I could more easily find work myself if I had to but I work remotely currently. Which city in NC do you think would be best for her field? She is thinking Charlotte because it is bigger but I am not sure size alone determines opportunities. Which do you feel is the better city for her for work opportunities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 07:29 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,343,517 times
Raleigh is part of the very economically-integrated Triangle Region (which also includes Durham and Chapel Hill) which is is a metro are area of about the same size as Charlotte, so i don't think thats an issue.

I don't have any first hand knowledge, but my assumption would be that given Raleigh's status as the state capital, and with the presence of 3 large universities, the Triangle would offer more job availability.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:57 AM

1,451 posts, read 988,444 times
If you do a job search with "Fundraising" with a 50 mile radius:

243 positions in Raleigh
249 in Charlotte

"Non profit" with a 50 mile radius:
55 positions in Raleigh
101 positions in Charlotte

Old 03-28-2019, 09:24 AM

3,647 posts, read 2,501,206 times
Very very broad terms here. Non-profit sector runs the gamete as far as roles, organizations, areas of focus, etc.

The YMCA is the largest non-profit in the country and has tons of career-advancement opportunities in a wide variety of departments, areas of focus, and departments.... YMCA of the Triangle (my former employer) and YMCA of Greater Charlotte are both among the largest and fastest-growing Y associations in the country. Triangle hangs it's hat on Youth Development programs; Charlotte is a little more focused on aquatics/wellness.

So using raw numbers/employment opportunities. Either of the areas would be great options...it just depends on what you are looking for in the Non-profit career field.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:42 AM

166 posts, read 68,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Very very broad terms here. Non-profit sector runs the gamete as far as roles, organizations, areas of focus, etc.

The YMCA is the largest non-profit in the country and has tons of career-advancement opportunities in a wide variety of departments, areas of focus, and departments.... YMCA of the Triangle (my former employer) and YMCA of Greater Charlotte are both among the largest and fastest-growing Y associations in the country. Triangle hangs it's hat on Youth Development programs; Charlotte is a little more focused on aquatics/wellness.

So using raw numbers/employment opportunities. Either of the areas would be great options...it just depends on what you are looking for in the Non-profit career field.

I realize it's a broad field and admit I don't know much about the nonprofit world. She works in children's advocacy now but would be willing to expand her focus if she had to. The one thing she would not be interested in is university fundraising. Hope that helps.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:19 PM

723 posts, read 255,317 times
My sister worked at NORD (rare disorders) in DC before moving back home to work at a couple non-profits locally in the Triangle. She had quite a few offers when she moved back though she ended up in Carrboro. Her second job wasn’t tied to the region however so probably isn’t helpful. My sense of it all is that there is no where quite like DC, but the internet has leveled the field quite a bit so there will be a job in either Charlotte or the Triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina