U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 01:28 AM

6 posts, read 3,091 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my first post here and I registered especially because I need some advice and I need it quickly. So I live in NYC but I am done with the really high rent that I pay here and horrible driving/parking situation. I got my dream job after months of interviewing, getting professional licenses and just a whole lot of stress in general. I wanted to move to NC ideally near Asheville but wasn’t able to find a job there.. however the job that I did find is really great for my career and I am excited to join a big company that I always wanted to be a part of so I am very happy that I finally got it

This job is in Hickory, NC and I am a little stressed about finding a place to live but still having some kind of social life. I am wondering if it is a good idea to live in Asheville and commute 1 hour to work to Hickory or to find an apartment in Hickory only. I have been researching and I honestly don’t mind the small town living but I really love how beautiful Asheville is and it was always my dream to live near mountains. I have heard great things about Asheville in general and have a couple of friends there and I am just a little worried about living in Hickory as a single person moving from NYC... I am scared that I will find it way too quiet and not be able to socialize as much or not have enough things to do Am I overthinking it? Would you suggest living in Hickory or Asheville? I don’t mind long commute if the drive is not bad but I am not sure how the traffic situation is in this area. Please give me your suggestions. I am planning to move in 1 month so I need to find an apartment in either of these places.

Last edited by Gubblebum; 03-31-2019 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: Typo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 04:36 AM

6,800 posts, read 5,478,774 times
I wouldn't commute form Asheville to Hickory every day. Why not just start out in Hickory and visit Asheville for fun on the weekends? if you absolutely hate Hickory you can always move to Asheville later, but I'd at least give Hickory a chance.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:01 AM

31,347 posts, read 69,589,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubblebum View Post
So I live in NYC but I am done with...
This job is in Hickory, NC and I am a little stressed...
That is one VERY big jump.
Too big to even consider without something else drawing you.

Find something else or someWHERE else.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:15 AM

689 posts, read 455,444 times
That's at least 70 mile one way drive everyday ? But comparing commute time to NYC it might be short , your call of course .

Have you researched Hickory or 30 to 40 miles east to Statesville for night life and rentals . They may not have as much night life but rent should be lower than Asheville too !!

Have Hickory and Statesville chamber of commerce send info packets to you o. Might be you find a place near work to start with , say for the first year and take that year to decide where your willing to call a home base !!

Are you overthinking it? Probably but your are moving from a rat race of a city to a more laid back area in general were you will DRIVE were ever you want to go so regardless you will need to s l o w d o w n and learn to let the stress go from what your use to now . You might even learn to enjoy a hike or bike ride with a friend or two and to live a more quiet life even .

F

Old 03-31-2019, 07:30 AM

6,312 posts, read 4,487,230 times
I agree with BC1960. According to Google Maps, it’s 77 miles between Hickory and Asheville. That’s almost 160 miles a day roundtrip. That’ll put a lot of wear and tear on your vehicle and probably yourself. Personally, there’s no way I would commute that far every day if I could avoid it.

Weekend fun trips? Yes. Everyday commuting? Hell no.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:26 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,227,641 times
I think the advice here is solid but I also agree NYC to hickory is too much a culture shock

I think you could like hickory but you have to be have an open mind and socialize differently

Old 03-31-2019, 08:55 AM

31,347 posts, read 69,589,360 times
Quote:
Moving to NC as single 30’s something woman...
...can be a fine thing IF you can choose the specific 10 square miles that will suit.
That's 10 miles out of the total 54,000 sq miles that NC has available.

Quote:
however the job that I did find is really great for my career
and I am excited to join a big company that I always wanted to be a part of...
For a six month in house training situation that will lead to OTHER options? You betcha.
If that requires/expects you to be there for the balance of your time with the company? Not so much.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:24 AM

I will be honest I am very scared of feeling lonely in a small town but at the same time I know that I don’t really go out every day or even every weekend and I live in nyc paying $2000 rent and spend most of my time working or being at home. I want to save money and also find out who I truly am as I am starting to think that I don’t really care much about this big city. It’s scary as hell though and I am going out of my comfort zone making this big jump. The reason is a very good career move and the job itself is every thing I ever dreamed of. It’s hell in NY since my work in general involved driving and seeing patients in their homes and I spend hours finding parking here. I am almost looking forward to the cultural shock as I miss a laid-back lifestyle (I have lived in Texas in past and I liked it there more than NY).

I guess Asheville is good for visiting on weekends or for hiking but please tell me more about Statesville. Is this place bigger and better than Hickory for a single person? When I say that I mean to ask if there are more activities, better night life, better dating scene even andin general more lively? I am having a hard time finding rentals in Hickory and just a quick search showed way more options in Statesville.. it’s only 30 mins form Hickory so it’s very doable for me on an every day basis.

Would you suggest living in Statesville over Hickory if all other variables were the same?

Thank you for all the input. I need any tips I can get.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:26 AM

6,800 posts, read 5,478,774 times
Quote:
I will be honest I am very scared of feeling lonely in a small town but at the same time I know that I don’t really go out every day or even every weekend and I live in nyc paying $2000 rent and spend most of my time working or being at home. I want to save money and also find out who I truly am as I am starting to think that I don’t really care much about this big city. It’s scary as hell though and I am going out of my comfort zone making this big jump. The reason is a very good career move and the job itself is every thing I ever dreamed of. It’s hell in NY since my work in general involved driving and seeing patients in their homes and I spend hours finding parking here. I am almost looking forward to the cultural shock as I miss a laid-back lifestyle (I have lived in Texas in past and I liked it there more than NY).

I guess Asheville is good for visiting on weekends or for hiking but please tell me more about Statesville. Is this place bigger and better than Hickory for a single person? When I say that I mean to ask if there are more activities, better night life, better dating scene even andin general more lively? I am having a hard time finding rentals in Hickory and just a quick search showed way more options in Statesville.. it’s only 30 mins form Hickory so it’s very doable for me on an every day basis.

Would you suggest living in Statesville over Hickory if all other variables were the same?

Thank you for all the input. I need any tips I can get.
Hickory is a much better place to live than Statesville. Plus, its closer to Asheville and the mountains.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:32 AM

Thank you! There are lesser options for renting apartments in Hickory for some reason but I will keep looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina