U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 07:07 PM

23 posts, read 10,245 times

Advertisements

There’s always the discussion of moving here. I thought it would be interesting to look at the opposite. Are you looking at relocating out of NC and where are you headed? Have you secured a job already? For those of you who moved already, do you miss anything about NC? What do you like about where you live now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 09:31 PM

3,784 posts, read 3,295,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach21 View Post
There’s always the discussion of moving here. I thought it would be interesting to look at the opposite. Are you looking at relocating out of NC and where are you headed? Have you secured a job already? For those of you who moved already, do you miss anything about NC? What do you like about where you live now?
I miss all the BBQ. And just Charlotte was home but, it’s not too far away and why spend time missing a place instead of enjoying your new home?

In DC I like how community oriented it is. It’s like a small town but for blocks and blocks in all directions. It’s very clean, European vibe, sooooo much pedestrian infrastructure and greenways and local shops and stuff. I love how community oriented it is. And I’m 3 blocks away from the national mall so I feel very lucky to walk/run it nightly. Also, it’s pretty cool to do your normal errands and drive past the White House or US Capitol.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:55 PM

217 posts, read 70,118 times
I want and plan to move to VA where the grandkids are. I won’t miss anything. I’m ready for snow and ice when it comes a few hundred miles north.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:08 AM

8,568 posts, read 12,663,611 times
We moved to NC 7 years ago for a job transfer for my husband. It has never "clicked" for me. As soon as my youngest graduates high school (in 6 years), we will be moving. I would have moved way before this, but I didn't want to keep moving the kids, and my husband's job is too good. We plan to move to Florida but will spend summers in the Northeast. We will stop
working at that point.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:01 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,877,402 times
I moved to Charleston for 3 years then returned back to NC....

Old 04-08-2019, 07:29 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,926,959 times
Moved to Phoenix in 2013. Miss all the fried food, but definitely not the weather. What I like about Phoenix are the festivals, hiking, drives to California and Vegas.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:24 AM

23 posts, read 10,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I moved to Charleston for 3 years then returned back to NC....
What made you return?

Old 04-09-2019, 04:43 AM

493 posts, read 253,599 times
I actually made the move out of NC (Raleigh area) to Atlanta 5 years ago. Lately though, I have been considering moving back to the triangle area.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:06 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,296,612 times
Born and raised in the Raleigh area. I didn't hate it, but just wanted a change. I moved to Missouri in 2011 for grad school. I liked the area and found a job, so I ended up living there for 5 years. Definitely preferred the weather over NC weather. Colder winters, but more mild summers.

Next, I did an assistantship in Iowa for 6mo. It was a flatter, more boring version of Missouri, but with worse weather.

Then I changed careers and landed a job in DFW, Texas. Hated it! Absolutely no scenery, awful traffic, terrible drivers, terrible heat for 9mo out of the year. All of the negatives of the suburbs and all of the negatives of the city with few of the positives. I lasted 10mo before I moved out.

I'm in Chicago now and really enjoy living here. We have two airports, great food, and tons to see and do. But the winter weather is brutal and real estate prices and taxes are high, so I'm not sure I could live here long term. I'm hoping I can settle down permanently in Missouri if I can find a job there.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:49 PM

129 posts, read 61,195 times
Been in nc for 10 years waiting on a few things before I move out , im thinking ohio , texas , georgia ( was raised there ) , florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or