Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 09:17 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times

Advertisements

Charlotte is larger than the Triangle.
Charlotte isn't as large than it thinks it is.
Does that satisfy everyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 09:18 PM

873 posts, read 1,017,154 times
Taking a break from the admittedly entertaining Meck-Wake standoff arguments, what struck me from the latest Census figures is the considerable population add in Brunswick County and my doubts about whether the state is adequately prepared to handle this kind of growth there. Lying right between the booming metropolitan areas of Wilmington and the Grand Strand (Myrtle Beach and company), I've noticed all the additional commercial activities and traffic over the last few years in areas like Calabash and other towns near the coast. Supposedly the state is thinking about making the stretch of U.S. Highway 17 from NC 74 to just shy of the state line into being part of Interstate 74 in the future, having it connect to Highway 31 in South Carolina as part of the deal. That would be a huge boon for the area, but there's so much built off 17 already on that stretch that compensating those landowners alone will cost the state millions (maybe billions?), and if there's no restriction for development at present, those costs will keep going up.

I'm worried that once again, the state is being reactive rather than proactive in handling population growth, as it's already shown by the transportation problems in Johnston and Chatham counties as people working in the Triangle have moved to those parts. And of course, with this addition of people comes the need to make sure they can evacuate to higher ground quickly if and when a hurricane hits. I hope some planning is occurring to accommodate these needs, but given the state's spotty history in this regard, I'm not anticipating a good answer here.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:30 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
In reference to the link above, do a little quick math. This was a 2017 estimate. Add 40,000 people to adjust for 2018 and add another 100,000 (the 100 sq/mile difference of Wake vs Charlotte's urbanized area) from the adjacent urbanized areas of Concord, Gastonia, and Rock Hill which are not included with Charlotte. What you have is an 835 sq/mile Mecklenburg county with 1.6 million residents. And THAT'S my point.
If Wake was able to shift its 835 m2 to maximize its population, then it would dump the rural eastern and far northern parts and pick up Durham and Chapel Hill instead: adding hundreds of thousands of people. These are all invisible lines.
Regardless of all of these invisible lines, Charlotte is larger; it's just not as much larger as it's often claimed to be vis-a-vis the Triangle.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:38 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
If the majority of RTP were in Wake County.....the Raleigh-Cary and Durham-Chapel Hill MSA's would be combined into the (original) Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill MSA; with well over 2 million in population using the weird rule the census now uses.
This is actually incorrect. Combined, the MSAs of Raleigh and Durham are currently at 1.938 million. This is not to be confused with the CSA which is 2.2 million. 1.938 million represents an increase of nearly 36,000 between 2017 and 2018.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If Wake was able to shift its 835 m2 to maximize its population, then it would dump the rural eastern and far northern parts and pick up Durham and Chapel Hill instead: adding hundreds of thousands of people. These are all invisible lines.
Regardless of all of these invisible lines, Charlotte is larger; it's just not as much larger as it's often claimed to be vis-a-vis the Triangle.
I can't speak for others, but the only claims I make are the facts. Somewhere in this thread, someone stated that the Triangle is within "striking distance" of metro Charlotte and this is new for our state. Well, first of all, Wake and Raleigh have been more populated than Meck and Charlotte if we look back far enough (1800s). Secondly, nearly 622k residents separate metro Charlotte from the combined metros of Raleigh and Durham. The former added 44,000 last year while the latter added 36,000. If anything, metro Charlotte is pulling away from Raleigh/Durham, but the minute that I say this (no matter how true it is) I'm somehow bashing the Triangle (or worse, I'm an insecure poster in Charlotte).

Here's the deal; let's all agree to quit with the bold claims such as "striking distance" or "twice as large" because neither are true for either region. Charlotte IS NOT twice as large as the Triangle; it just isn't. Furthermore, the Triangle IS NOT within "striking distance" of Charlotte; it just isn't. At 36,000 new comers each year, it would take 18 years (and a dead stop from Charlotte) for the Triangle to erase the current 622,000 person deficit it has against metro Charlotte. With Charlotte adding 8,000 more people each year, that deficit is growing; not shrinking. This horse is beyond dead; it's fossil fuel at this point....

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 04-23-2019 at 09:57 PM..

Old 04-23-2019, 10:34 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Charlotte is larger than the Triangle.
Charlotte isn't as large than it thinks it is.
Does that satisfy everyone?
No. Iā€™m bothered by the way you phrased this. ā€œIsnā€™t as large than it thinks it isā€. I know I make typos but I never ask if yā€™all are satisfied about it lol

Old 04-24-2019, 06:14 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The same thing happened for a similar reason, to Greenville and Spartanburg in upstate SC. That's just the way it goes.

Where I live, the whole town is in the Charlotte urbanized area, but part of the town is in the MSA and part is not. That's the way the cookie crumbles.
The way the cookie crumbles though is that the entire city of Raleigh is not in the Raleigh MSA (likewise Durham with Durham’s MSA, and Cary for that matter). It’s an odd quirk for the MSA not to cover the main city. I don’t think it happens anywhere else.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:37 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
The way the cookie crumbles though is that the entire city of Raleigh is not in the Raleigh MSA (likewise Durham with Durhamā€™s MSA, and Cary for that matter). Itā€™s an odd quirk for the MSA not to cover the main city. I donā€™t think it happens anywhere else.
That's because everything is calculated by county for MSAs. My town is in 2 counties. I think it's silly, bordering on stupid, but I don't make the rules. The rules work for most, so that's the way it goes.

It's not like Raleigh and Durham were singled out. The same thing happened to Greenville and Spartanburg for pretty much the same reason.

As far as the Wake County population, various posters have been saying that, because the county size is so much bigger, at some point Wake would be more populous than Mecklenburg on the Charlotte board for about 10 years. No Charlotte posters took shots because it's been expected. What I have seen, in this thread, is Triangle posters making accusations and carrying on. How ridiculous is it that people are trying to compare part of Charlotte to Raleigh plus suburbs? Think about that.

The closest city with a population of over a million is still Philadelphia. By 2030 it will be Charlotte.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:45 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times
And while I know Charlotte metro is bigger than the Triangle and Charlotte is bigger than Raleigh, I think I was mostly illustrating a point. There is a 300 square mile incorporated area around the BoA stadium that houses 850,000 people. There is coincidentally a 300 square mile incorporated area around the Capitol building with 850,000 people in mostly unbroken development. So while the growth was different for a variety of reasons, the end result is similar. Charlotte’s edge is in the metro, which is much bigger outside those 300 square miles.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:16 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
And while I know Charlotte metro is bigger than the Triangle and Charlotte is bigger than Raleigh, I think I was mostly illustrating a point. There is a 300 square mile incorporated area around the BoA stadium that houses 850,000 people. There is coincidentally a 300 square mile incorporated area around the Capitol building with 850,000 people in mostly unbroken development. So while the growth was different for a variety of reasons, the end result is similar. Charlotteā€™s edge is in the metro, which is much bigger outside those 300 square miles.
Can't you just be happy that Wake County will be the most populous? Would that be too difficult for you and the others?

As I said, my town is literally on the edge of the Charlotte MSA. There are some yahoos running my county who have deliberately done stupid things that hurt everyone in the county in their quest to keep out of the Charlotte MSA. No, I don't vote for them. As to your complaint, no one has done something deliberately to hurt anyone in the Triangle, much less people from the Charlotte board.

Stop and think about the new-found game of trying to redraw the populations. My god, that's the kind of thing that my mother would yell at my sister and me for doing and tell us to cut it out in grade school.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:39 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Can't you just be happy that Wake County will be the most populous? Would that be too difficult for you and the others?

As I said, my town is literally on the edge of the Charlotte MSA. There are some yahoos running my county who have deliberately done stupid things that hurt everyone in the county in their quest to keep out of the Charlotte MSA. No, I don't vote for them. As to your complaint, no one has done something deliberately to hurt anyone in the Triangle, much less people from the Charlotte board.

Stop and think about the new-found game of trying to redraw the populations. My god, that's the kind of thing that my mother would yell at my sister and me for doing and tell us to cut it out in grade school.
Hey TarheelNick. Is this considered Exhibit C?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina