Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 06:52 AM

37,837 posts, read 41,708,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
All fine and good except for one thing....

Who is "bragging" about Wake passing Meck? Again; reads more like unnecessary paranoia.

OP for this thread posted stats for the whole state; we don't even know where in the state they typed it from and the fact that Wake was passing Meck in population was only one of several bullet points.

VERY FIRST RESPONSE....

Followed by:

And then:

#triggered.
Now with this I can agree, but the whole Charlotte/Wake land thing was a bad way to approach this. A few Charlotte folks need to accept the fact that the Triangle is a peer region and more population and growth statistics will continue to reflect that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 07:22 AM

6,356 posts, read 5,448,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Now with this I can agree, but the whole Charlotte/Wake land thing was a bad way to approach this. A few Charlotte folks need to accept the fact that the Triangle is a peer region and more population and growth statistics will continue to reflect that.
Fair

Old 04-22-2019, 08:07 AM

743 posts, read 821,276 times
It's pretty simple, Wake county is growing at higher rate that's just a fact just like a high percentage of Charlotte's growth is across state lines.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:26 AM

3,071 posts, read 4,824,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Having grew up in the region, one of the most glaring issues with the rural areas (at least in ENC), is their reluctance to work together. The most recent example is Nash County withdrawing from the Carolinas Gateway Partnership because they weren’t happy that all the major job announcements have been in Edgecombe County. The CGP were the ones responsible for luring the CSX hub to Rocky Mount after Johnston County NIMBY’ed the hell out of CSX.
Well....most of the job incentives are based on the numbers...and Edgecombe has higher poverty and unemployment numbers that help justify incentives...

I wouldn't categorize that as ENC communities not working together though, that's just Nash not admitting that its proximity to Wake makes itself more affluent. Not saying Nash couldn't use the jobs, but Edgecombe needs them more.

The real problem is that the State makes the communities compete against each other, especially the poor ones...the State has rejected the idea of an ENC Regional Commission set up similarly to the Appalachian Regional Commission...even if it doesn't have Federal recognition.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:33 AM

4,141 posts, read 2,803,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd hope not since it's just a plainly obvious fact. I'd never heard of folks saying that Charlotte is the state's largest city only or primarily because of its physical size (and, by extension, that Raleigh is essentially the same size but it can't claim its suburbs) which is a pretty ridiculous notion on its face.

Even if all of the current growth is happening in incorporated areas, it was predicted several years back that Wake would eventually overtake Mecklenburg due to similar growth rates and Wake having more land. If what you say is accurate, then the most that can be said right now is that Wake and Mecklenburg have essentially identical populations within comparable developed areas. And we know that the growth in Wake County will continue to spread beyond those incorporated municipalities.
It’s not a ridiculous notion is my point. Raleigh and suburbs are roughly the same size as Charlotte proper in both area and population. Wake Forest to Garner covers about the same distance as Ballantyne to Northlake Mall. Knightdale to Apex is roughly the same distance as UNC Charlotte to Steele Creek. Both areas cover about 800,000 or so people. The fact Wake is surpassing Mecklenburg is not because of land area but because the developed core is growing faster than Charlotte proper. The land area will matter in 30 years when Wendell and Zebulon start to boom, but they’ve grown maybe by 2,000 people the last 7 years. The unincorporated parts like Lizard Lick even less. Wake is not cresting on the strength of growth in the eastern half of Wake County.

Now that I’ve tried educating on some similarities, I will give differences because there are many. Charlotte’s job center is centrally located which has led to an urban footprint which Raleigh does not match. Also the neighboring counties of Charlotte are more developed than those neighboring Raleigh (Durham being the exception). Charlotte’s metro footprint is larger and bigger. It’s about a decade or so ahead of Raleigh on that front, and I imagine Chatham and Johnston will soon be closer to serving as the York and Union counties do Charlotte. But it will take time. And as you mentioned, eastern Wake will eventually start developing faster, particularly if downtown Raleigh gets more developed and offers a job market strong enough to rival the RTP.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
It’s not a ridiculous notion is my point. Raleigh and suburbs are roughly the same size as Charlotte proper in both area and population. Wake Forest to Garner covers about the same distance as Ballantyne to Northlake Mall. Knightdale to Apex is roughly the same distance as UNC Charlotte to Steele Creek. Both areas cover about 800,000 or so people. The fact Wake is surpassing Mecklenburg is not because of land area but because the developed core is growing faster than Charlotte proper. The land area will matter in 30 years when Wendell and Zebulon start to boom, but they’ve grown maybe by 2,000 people the last 7 years. The unincorporated parts like Lizard Lick even less. Wake is not cresting on the strength of growth in the eastern half of Wake County.
Yes, it actually is a ridiculous notion primarily because Raleigh gets to include its suburbs in this comparison but not Charlotte. While it's indisputable that Charlotte proper has been the biggest beneficiary of the region's growth by far, not all of the growth in the core of metropolitan Charlotte over the years has gone to Charlotte proper so to exclude all of the folks in the close-in suburbs of the rest of Mecklenburg, Union, York, Lancaster, Gaston, and Cabarrus counties is pretty disingenuous. While the suburbs have captured proportionately more growth in the Raleigh area because it only started growing rapidly in the 1980's, Charlotte was also growing rapidly during that time. As I stated earlier, urbanized area population figures are pretty helpful here since they account for an urban area's population at a baseline density irrespective of municipal/state borders, and using that metric Charlotte is still the bigger city by 300K or so. We're due new statistics on that front next year as the most recent are from the last official Census so we'll see how things look then.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:36 AM

I think the notion of saying Steele Creek is Charlotte but Garner is basically treated like Kannapolis is just bizarre and makes no sense. Cary and say Ballyntine are a distinction without a difference.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I think the notion of saying Steele Creek is Charlotte but Garner is basically treated like Kannapolis is just bizarre and makes no sense. It’s a distinction without a difference.
I'm not saying that, but you can't say Garner, Cary, Knightdale, etc. are actually Raleigh but only Charlotte proper is Charlotte while completely ignoring Huntersville, Fort Mill, Matthews, Weddington, etc. Come on now, you know better.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:08 PM

I didn’t say Charlotte doesn’t get to count its suburbs. I explicitly noted that Charlotte suburban counties were more developed and larger than Raleigh’s. I was just noting that Wake’s Raleigh/Cary/Apex/etc now formed a bloc on par with the city of Charlotte in area and population. That wasn’t always the case and is the largest reason Wake has caught up. In 1990, Charlotte was about 30% larger than the same communities (which were also incidentally not nearly as seamless back then). So again, Wake may be bigger in area, but almost all the growth is in a footprint roughly the same size as Charlotte today and is due to a faster growth rate in said communities. Charlotte’s advantages are elsewhere.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:14 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,540,581 times
Quote:
I think the notion of saying Steele Creek is Charlotte but Garner is basically treated like Kannapolis is just bizarre and makes no sense. Cary and say Ballyntine are a distinction without a difference.
Do you comprehend that Steele Creek and Ballantyne are part of the city of Charlotte while Cary and Garner are individual municipalities? This drivel absolutely reeks of arguments made by residents of Pittsburgh concerning Philadelphia for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina