Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 08:26 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
You know, I did kinda wonder about that when I was last up there...it was hot and humid (almost as bad as NC) yet...no bugs! Weird. I even remember tons of apts having open windows without screens in them...which is totally unthinkable in NC!
When I lived in Western NC, we had lots of gnats. However when I moved to Eastern NC, we had lots of everything, especially mosquitoes. The worst is the biting flies mentioned earlier. I had a friend who bought a place near a creek sometime in the winter. Got a great deal. Then when spring hit, he found out why. The biting flies would eat you alive just going to and from your car. A menace.

I rarely see any bugs here. Mostly you have to get out to Staten Island or farther out on Long Island to see many insects. I think I have had one mosquito bits since I moved here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 09:32 AM

75 posts, read 268,661 times
Someone here once told me that the mosquito should be named the North Carolina state bird. (Mike???) I've used that line in my novel, and it's a book for Christian teenagers... so does that count for something?

sacred-skeeters?

yikes.
Diana

Old 08-31-2006, 09:46 AM

295 posts, read 1,297,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
The big spider was hanging just above the door in the garage that lead into the house. The bulbus body was as big as a large gumball, most discusting thing, ewww! It was up their for a week or so and my bro in law said it wasn't hurting anything so he left it.
Glad it didn't bother you, but the bulbous body might have been because it was pregnant?! You may not be seeing this mutha around anymore ... but that's because there are hundreds of tiny ones just waiting to grow up now that she has hatched them!

I am NOT a fan of spiders. Tell me how good they are and logically I understand. Yeah they kill a lot of flies ... but short of Jeff Goldblum, I can't think of anyone whose nightmares are inspired by flies. Spiders, on the other hand ... the stuff of horror movie legend.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:41 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
The only good spider is a DEAD one!

Old 08-31-2006, 04:12 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
The only good spider is a DEAD one!
Funny...........

Old 08-31-2006, 07:14 PM

34 posts, read 110,583 times
Spiders are service-oriented. Never kill a spider! They catch and eat all those other bugs. Plus, I hear NC orb spiders are known to weave the 10 Commandments and such in their webs--especially at courthouses.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:55 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Hope that's true. But I still hate'm

Old 08-31-2006, 10:29 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samohtal View Post
Glad it didn't bother you, but the bulbous body might have been because it was pregnant?! You may not be seeing this mutha around anymore ... but that's because there are hundreds of tiny ones just waiting to grow up now that she has hatched them!

I am NOT a fan of spiders. Tell me how good they are and logically I understand. Yeah they kill a lot of flies ... but short of Jeff Goldblum, I can't think of anyone whose nightmares are inspired by flies. Spiders, on the other hand ... the stuff of horror movie legend.
Well thank goodness it was my bro in laws garage! I guess I will have to include a bulbous spider under my crunchy bug category which means I ain't smashing it! Oh yeah, the other day my DH chased me around the house with a praying mantis exo skeleton! Eewww! It must be love!

Old 09-01-2006, 07:30 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Hope that's true. But I still hate'm
When my sister lived in Southern Mississippi, they had a real spider problem. They moved into a church parsonage. They had just put brick on the facade of the house. However, the brick had been sitting on the front porch for several months. Apparently, spiders laid eggs in the porous bricks and they hatched after my sister moved in. They had brown recluse spiders literally coming out of the walls.
They had to abandon the house till the exterminators could get it under control. Even then, they would still run into one every now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina