Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 05:16 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,193 times

Advertisements

"And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff, .. bless your hearts, I hear they are fixin' to ha ve classes on Southernness as a second language!"

So, where do you sign up for these classes??? I couldn't understand most of the slang in LuckyDog's funny post. And what the heck is red eye gravy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2006, 06:24 PM

80 posts, read 465,560 times
Hits not sumthin yur taut in klasses hits sumthin dats lurned in yur neyburhood.

day mite be a klass ya kan be lurned suthern stuf but i duuno wher

I purfur Ramps n eggs to red eye grave

Last edited by Mountain Man; 05-16-2006 at 07:07 PM..

Old 05-16-2006, 08:09 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,824,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme
"And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff, .. bless your hearts, I hear they are fixin' to ha ve classes on Southernness as a second language!"

So, where do you sign up for these classes??? I couldn't understand most of the slang in LuckyDog's funny post. And what the heck is red eye gravy?
You need to watch Paul's Home Cooking on the food network. She is on Sat and Sun AM, 7:30AM Pacific time. Apparently you need a stick of butter for everything!

Old 05-16-2006, 08:29 PM

192 posts, read 654,632 times
I know that some of the last posts just perpetuate the myth that the vast majority southerners who use this type of jargon are ignorant & uneducated.... So, for the record...I'm neither. And that is truly a myth. I want to make that crystal clear.

I mentioned in another thread I have a highly unique "hoi toide" accent. It's a dialect that is riddled with unusual pronounciations & well....some words that are really not gramatically correct (for example weren't). It's highly unique & specific to a very small area, so it's far from common. Well, the truth is I used to possess the accent. I moved away from my hometown, to attend college, & I lost it. When I first went away to college, my accent was so incredibly thick that I had to write out what I was saying for people all the time...literally...everywhere I went.

I had three professors that made their mark on me, in regards to the accent.

1. I had to write papers & present speeches for an English class. My English professor told me that in all his years, he'd never once had another student that "spoke so gramatically incorrect" but who "wrote in perfect gramatical English". He was blown away by it. He made those remarks out loud in class, many, many times. I've never forgotten his enthusiastic amazement.

2. I majored in MKTG MGMT & eventually worked outside sales for a Fortune 500 before becoming a full time mommy. But, to be able to be taken seriously...I had to follow my MKTG professor's advice & learn to articulate clearly & precisely, using proper english. At her suggestion, in that first MKTG intro class, I took speech every single semester of college, until I graduated. Now...I really miss my unique accent that I worked so hard to eradicate for success...it was a distinct part of me & as a older, wiser adult...now I see that & I mourn it's loss.

3. The last one was my Enviromental Biology professor. Again...first semester. My first 200+ person class. He was going over the regions of NC. When he got to the Coastal Plain, he touched on the remote areas--where my "hoi toide" accent exists. He went on about it's rarity & that each semester, he ran through the roll & the in state students home counties to scan for a real "hoi toider". He announced that for only the third time, he had one in his class & I was right there. He asked that I come to the podium to read a brief paragraph to demonstrate the accent. I sat silent & terrified. He began to call the roll. I let him call probably 50 or more...and then I rose from my seat & approached the podium. He handed me the page. It was silent. I read. The class rolled in the floor laughing. I was humiliated to the point I about wet myself. When I concluded, he asked me to take my seat & then asked the class for a show of hands on how many understood what I had read. Not one hand. I still hate that man a little. I had people recognize me on campus from that for a long time.

Some of us sound dumb as a rock....but don't be fooled. Really. You need to grasp that for the most part our dialect is just that & nothing else....a dialect.

My husband....a great example. Honor college graduate--smart, successful.
When we lived in Raleigh, my co-workers used to go nuts when he'd call. He has a very deep raspy voice (like Sam Elliot) and a very slow distinct drawl that's prevalent where he's from. Anyhoo---they always asked him to repeat the word "bear"---he says "bayer" --two syllables--like bayer aspirin. Cracked them up.

So...perhaps you see my point. How we sound is not a reflection of our intelligence, or education. Again, just wanted to clarify that...for the record.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:52 PM

80 posts, read 465,560 times
I was born in the south but my mother and father are from northern Ohio I am fairly well educated I happen to be the only one in my family with a southern accent. I guess I picked it up from the people I associate with the most. Lucky dog there isnt anything wrong with your post I might have gotten a little carried away with mine LOL . All I can say about southerners or anyone is dont judge someone till you have walked a few miles in their shoes.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:05 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,572 times
Yo, wassup wit dem freakin accents? Youse guys sound weird!!

Old 05-17-2006, 07:11 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,469,779 times
Wow I can't beleive all This New Yorkers and New Jersey people on this site. I thought Az had a lot of transplants. Oh well I guess I'll feel at home. just hate that rude pushy attitude though. No offense to anyone my family is made up of rude pushy people from the Bronx. They are alot of fun at times though. At least the whole southern thing won't be culture shock since their are plenty of Yankees out here.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,992,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Wow I can't beleive all This New Yorkers and New Jersey people on this site. I thought Az had a lot of transplants. Oh well I guess I'll feel at home. just hate that rude pushy attitude though. No offense to anyone my family is made up of rude pushy people from the Bronx. They are alot of fun at times though. At least the whole southern thing won't be culture shock since their are plenty of Yankees out here.
They have a tendency to cluster, so don't expect the entire state to be home to transplants from the Northeastern states.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:26 AM

543 posts, read 1,824,425 times
>>ah knows thet some of th' last posts jest perpetuate th' mahth thet th' >>vast majo'ity southerners who use this hyar type of jargon is igno'ant & >>unejoocayted, cuss it all t' tarnation.... So, fo' th' reco'd, cuss it all t' >>tarnation...ah's neifer. An' thet is truly a mahth. ah's hankerin' t'make thet >>crystal clear. ah menshuned in t'other thread ah have a highly unique "hoi >>toide" accent. It's a dialeck thet is riddled wif unusual pronounciashuns & >>fine....some wo'ds thet is pow'ful not gramatically co'reck (fo' example >>wasn't). It's highly unique & specific t'a mighty small area, so it's far fum >>common, as enny fool kin plainly see. Wal, th' truth is ah used t'postess th' >>accent. ah moved away fum mah hometown, t'attend college, & ah lost it. >>When ah fust went away t'college, mah accent was so incredibly thick >>thet ah had t'write out whut ah was sayin' fo' varmints all th' >>time...literally...ev'rywhar ah went.

Lucky, you could have run all your papers for college through the dialectizer translator to keep them authentic

http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/

Old 05-18-2006, 08:14 AM

20 posts, read 106,181 times
Here's something sterotypical and funny...

Where To Live After Retirement

As we all know, sometimes we come face to face with the fact that it may be time to relocate. The big question is: where to? Here are some tips.

You can live in Phoenix , Arizona where.....

1. You are willing to park 3 blocks away because you found shade.
2. You've experienced condensation on your butt from the hot water in the
toilet bowl.
3. You can drive for 4 hours in one direction and never leave town.
4. You have over 100 recipes for Mexican food.
5. You know that " dry heat" is comparable to what hits you in the face
when you open your oven door.
6. The 4 seasons are: tolerable, hot, really hot, and ARE YOU KIDDING
ME??!!

You can Live in California where...

1. You make over $250,000 and you still can't afford to buy a house.
2. The fastest part of your commute is going down your driveway.
3. You know how to eat an artichoke.
4. You drive your rented Mercedes to your neighborhood block party.
5. When someone asks you how far something is, you tell them how long it
will take to get there rather than how many miles away it is.

You can Live in New York City where...

1. You say "the city" and expect everyone to know you mean Manhattan .
2. You can get into a four-hour argument about how to get from Columbus
Circle to Battery Park, but can't find Wisconsin on a map.
3.You think Central Park is "nature,"
4. You believe that being able to swear at people in their own language
makes you multi-lingual.
5. You've worn out a car horn.
6. You think eye contact is an act of aggression.

You can Live in Maine where...

1. You only have four spices: salt, pepper, ketchup, and Tabasco.
2. Halloween costumes fit over parkas.
3. You have more than one recipe for moose.
4. Sexy lingerie is anything flannel with less than eight buttons.
5. The four seasons are: winter, still winter, almost winter, and
construction.

You can Live in the Deep South where...

1. You can rent a movie and buy bait in the same store.
2. "y'all" is singular and "all y'all" is plural.
3. "He needed killin' " is a valid defense.
5. Everyone has 2 first names: Billy Bob, Jimmy Bob, Mary Sue, Betty Jean,
MARY BETH, etc.

You can live in Colorado where...

1. You carry your $3,000 mountain bike atop your $500 car.
2. You tell your husband to pick up Granola on his way home and he stops at
the day care center.
3. A pass does not involve a football or dating.
4. The top of your head is bald, but you still have a pony tail.

You can live in the Midwest where...

1. You've never met any celebrities, but the mayor knows your name.
2. Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor.
3. You have had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" on the same day.
4. You end sentences with a preposition: "Where's my coat at?"
5. When asked how your trip was to any exotic place, you say, "It was
different!"

AND You can live in Florida where..

1. You eat dinner at 3:15 in the afternoon.
2. All purchases include a coupon of some kind -- even houses and cars.
3. Everyone can recommend an excellent dermatologist.
4. Road construction never ends anywhere in the state.
5. Cars in front of you are often driven by headless people.
6 . The 4 seasons are: tolerable, hot, really hot, and snowbirds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina