U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 05:23 AM

543 posts, read 1,636,565 times

Advertisements

It's implied in so many messages, the sterotypes for both north and south so--

Moving south I do not expect that native folks will all:

be wearing overalls
have a piece of hay hanging out of their mouth
be barefoot
be pregnant
have a car that looks like the General Lee
drive a truck with more stuff hanging off it than Sanford and sons
be chewing tobacco
be living in a trailer
be driving like in a funeral
carrying a shotgun
be stupid
(add your own here)

In return you should not think that every northener will:

be rude
be demanding
drive a Caddliac Escalade
talk down to people
be impatient
be using up all the resources
be honking their horn at every red light
be stupid
have gold chains hanging off of everywhere
ruin everything
buy up all the good real estate
(add your own here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2006, 09:00 AM

110 posts, read 365,662 times
Actually, alot of that holds true!

Old 05-05-2006, 09:11 AM

104 posts, read 542,381 times
And....believe it or not I have had this question several times.....we do not marry our cousins any more than you would up North. Everyone always says 'Well, Jerry Lee Lewis did." Yep, there are always exceptions to EVERY rule.

And, I might add we are not all uneducated. I read just recently a little fact that may impress a few. The RTP-Chapel Hill area has the highest level of education in the WORLD. I cannot reference that, but it has long been understood that it is right in there. So, forgive us if we know what's going on.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h237/PewterRose/Smiley-applause.gif (broken link)

Old 05-05-2006, 09:29 AM

2,098 posts, read 5,876,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh

be wearing overalls
have a piece of hay hanging out of their mouth
be barefoot
be pregnant
have a car that looks like the General Lee
drive a truck with more stuff hanging off it than Sanford and sons
be chewing tobacco
be living in a trailer
be driving like in a funeral
carrying a shotgun
be stupid
(add your own here)

be rude
be demanding
drive a Caddliac Escalade
talk down to people
be impatient
be using up all the resources
be honking their horn at every red light
be stupid
have gold chains hanging off of everywhere
ruin everything
(add your own here)

That's funny!! But true, I think a lot of us do have that impression of each other, I guess because that's what gets put out in the media (i.e. Sopranos vs. Dukes of Hazzard)...no not everyone is like that, probably most people aren't in either place. Besides, if you ever take a ride through northern, I mean very northern NJ (the tip of warren and sussex counties), you're likely to see some overall-wearing, barefoot, pregnant, general lee driving, trailer living, shotgun carrying people!! But it's rare too. If you think about it, we're all pretty stupid if we base our opinions of people solely on these ridiculous stereotypes.

Just for the record, I CAN'T STAND people who honk just as the light's about to change (what's the rush buddy?) and I DON'T like gold...it went out with that big hair when the 90's began. I can't afford a cadillac escalade, wouldn't buy one if I could, don't have a ton of real estate (actually, I rent), I'm smart BUT I have no patience whatsoever (I think it's because of all the horn-honkers...seriously). If we all just stopped, for one day, just stopped or at least slowed down...if we didn't do all the useless running around all day (you know we don't have to do all the errands we think we have to), for one day...no one week, we probably would experience happiness and relaxation that we never knew existed. We'd be healthier people. We cause our own stress.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:41 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,231,789 times
Dont mean to hi-jack this thread, but I thought Id just add that those late 60s Chargers are fetching over $100k now.
Carry on..

Old 05-05-2006, 09:53 AM

263 posts, read 907,477 times
This is an excerpt of an email my mother-in-law sent to me recently.
I am a transplant to FL (ok not really the South) and she is a native...
Please remember this is all in jest (and it's FRIDAY). We could all use a good laugh...

If you are from the northern states and planning on visiting or moving to the South, there are a few things you should know that will help you adapt to the difference in lifestyles:
If you run your car into a ditch, don't panic. Four men in a four-wheel drive pickup truck with a tow chain will be along shortly. Don't try to help them; just stay out of their way. This is what they live for.

Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and bait in the same store. Don't buy food at this store.

Remember, "ya'll" is singular, "all ya'll" is plural, and "all y'all's" is plural possessive.

The first Southern statement to creep into a transplanted Northerner's vocabulary is the adjective 'big ol' truck or 'big ol' boy. Most Northerners begin their Southern-influenced dialect this way. All of them are in denial about it.

Be advised that 'He needed killin' is a valid defense here.

If you hear a Southerner exclaim, "Hey, y'all, watch this," you should stay out of the way. These are likely to be the last words he'll ever say.

If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the smallest accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery store. It doesn't matter whether you need anything or not. You just have to go there.

Do not be surprised to find that 10-year-olds own their own shotguns, they are proficient marksmen, and their Mammas taught them how to aim.

The North has sun-dried toe-mah-toes .. The South has 'mater samiches.

The North has coffee houses .. The South has Waffle Houses.

The North has dating services .. The South has family reunions.

The North has switchblade knives .. The South has Lee Press-on Nails.

The North has double last names .. The South has double first names.

The North has Ted Kennedy .. The South has Edwin Edwards.

The North has an ambulance .. The South has an am-a-lance.

The North has Cream of Wheat .. The South! has grits.

The North has green salads .. The South has collard greens.

The North has lobsters .. The South has crawfish.

AND REMEMBER: If you do settle in the South and bear children, don't think we will accept them as Southerners. After all, if the cat had kittens in the oven, we wouldn't call them biscuits.

HAVE A GOOD DAY! Send this to four people that ain't related to ya, and I reckon your life will turn into a country music song 'fore you know it!

Old 05-05-2006, 09:54 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,188,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh

<snip>
You forgot about the fellow who lets his dog sit in the front of the truck while his wife rides in the back

Quote:
I might argue you on that one I picked up a real estate flyer while out eating breakfast this morning. There is a section of land next to ours - 2.75 acres - that we weren't quite able to swing the money for when we bought our 4.5. That 2.75 acres, which has no water or sewer access, is covered with scrubby pines, and 1/2 of it actually slopes to a ravine, has an asking price of $59,000 Excuse my language, but that is just f* insane! That is TWICE the amount we paid for our 4.5 acres back in 1997. And our land is good land. I don't know of anyone around here who would spend that kind of money on POS land like that. All our neighbors are shaking their heads in disbelief The realtor is confident though: "some out-of-stater that doesn't know any better. You folks just please keep quiet."

Old 05-05-2006, 10:01 AM

263 posts, read 907,477 times
Some out of stater wouldn't know any better.
If Jacksonville, FL My wife were looking at a lot that was had no city water or sewer access (and was in town) for 92k. The lot size was 60x120.

This is one of the reasons we are moving.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:11 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,231,789 times
You know what’s worse in NC than a hurricane or a twister?
A car with northeastern plates pulling a U-Haul.

Sorry, carry on.......

Old 05-05-2006, 10:31 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,909,004 times
What do a NC hurricane and an NC divorce have in common?..... Someone is going to lose a trailor and at least 3 dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or