U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 07:06 PM

606 posts, read 630,683 times

Advertisements

Speaking as the son of a former National Guardsman, Fayetteville gets some disdain from those within the state who have had to serve on the National Guard and go to Fort Bragg on the weekends. There's no good way to go there from the other metropolitan areas of the state except lousy, boring drives to and from the area, and that includes having to take I-40 and then I-95 to Fayetteville. It's arguably the biggest city in North Carolina with the worst routes in and out of it. So, when you don't have to serve at Bragg anymore, you generally won't go back to Fayetteville because it's inconvenient and there's no need to do so. At the same time, I-95 skirts it so far to the east of the city limits that it's easy to ignore Fayetteville off the road for most casual drivers, certainly much more than with I-85 and I-40 in Asheville, Charlotte, the Triad and the Triangle. Finally, Fayetteville has got to market itself better as a reason why families should move there beyond relatively affordable housing. Other than being close I-95 and 90 minutes or so away from beaches between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, its advantages seem quite sparse for becoming a resident there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 08:46 PM

34,543 posts, read 31,852,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
I will say that growing up in Fayetteville and living in Augusta GA after college for a couple of years, quite honestly Fayetteville is probably better. For one thing the paper factory and meat factory ruins the air quality of the town, it can't be healthy. I do miss the river walk and the alligator park and Savannah rapids. But in Augusta the cut off is way more dramatic, on one side you have houses that look similar to king st Charleston along Walton way and the other half around the pain college area it's pretty much poverty.
Augusta certainly has its issues and more blight than one might expect, but it also has some distinct advantages over Fayetteville that I think put it in a better position in the long run. As you noted, Augusta utilizes its river better and its downtown seems to have more going on. Augusta has some pretty neat historic sites of interest (First Baptist Church, Sacred Heart Cultural Center, etc), its has new civic institutional buildings (convention center, library, courthouse), and it has two claims to fame nationally: James Brown and the Masters. Old Town is a very historic and charming neighborhood, something I'm not sure Fayetteville has an answer for. Being home to the state's medical university, you have access to really good healthcare and I'm pretty sure it's a notch above Fayetteville when it comes to restaurants and retail. It has a very nice mall for a city its size and it has even managed to land a Topgolf which is scheduled to open in the near future. And although Augusta (and just about everywhere else in Georgia) is overshadowed by Atlanta, at least it has some status as the second-largest city/metro in the state. Fayetteville is even more overshadowed and obscured in NC, by several cities at that. When people talk about NC cities, it's Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Asheville, and Wilmington. Fayetteville seems to be somewhat close to High Point and Greenville in terms of stature and recognition, or just a bit above. And I'm not beating up on the city either but that's my perception.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:38 PM

11,847 posts, read 12,977,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
When people talk about NC cities, it's Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Asheville, and Wilmington. Fayetteville seems to be somewhat close to High Point and Greenville in terms of stature and recognition, or just a bit above. And I'm not beating up on the city either but that's my perception.
Asheville, Boone, Outer Banks, too...

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Quote:
1. Durham
2. Greensboro
3. Raleigh
4. Asheville
5. Chapel Hill
6. Charlotte
7. Greenville
8. Winston-Salem
9. Elizabeth City
10. High Point
11. Wilmington
12. Cary
13. Wake Forest
14. Wilkesboro
Not my personal ranking, but Fayetteville didn't even make the cut above Elizabeth City and Wilkesboro!

Then there's Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Quote:
1. Apex
2. Wake Forest
3. Matthews
4. Morrisville
5. Garner
6. Clemmons
7. Cary
8. Chapel Hill
8. Huntersville
10. Mint Hill
BTW, they rank Fayetteville 41 out of 50 cities/towns in NC.

Last edited by Yac; 07-15-2019 at 01:58 AM..

Old 07-09-2019, 10:13 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,059,039 times
My job in Fayetteville gives me a nice paycheck every week. I'm not complaining!

Old 07-09-2019, 10:32 PM

4 posts, read 1,841 times
Downtown and eastern Fayetteville smell really bad ��

Old 07-09-2019, 11:40 PM

4,420 posts, read 3,961,499 times
Because if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:07 PM

678 posts, read 562,804 times
I grew up in Fayetteville, and it was pretty terrible, but it has improved over the last 20 years or so. Downtown has seen some of the biggest changes, and there's still a ton of growth in "Outer Fayetteville" (southern Harnett and Hoke Counties). Yeah, Fayetteville and the Sandhills really need their own sub-forum

Old 07-10-2019, 01:34 PM

325 posts, read 270,465 times
I just saw that there is a ground breaking ceremony for a new skatepark in Fayetteville this weekend. The park will be built by Team Pain, who makes the best skateparks in my opinion.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:05 PM

1,046 posts, read 438,780 times
Fayetteville is a dump, only a tad better than Durham.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:50 PM

3,137 posts, read 3,437,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Fayetteville is a dump, only a tad better than Durham.
Fayetteville better than Durham? Not a chance. Not even close. Durham is literally leaps and bounds better than Fayetteville in literally every way possible. It really isn't even a question. You're actually the only person I've met who has this opinion? Fayetteville better than Durham? You must have mistyped but if not, please explain. FWIW, I have lived in both Fayetteville and Durham, so really curious to see what you have to say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina