Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 04:47 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Fayetteville is a dump, only a tad better than Durham.

You must have not been to Durham in like 2 decades to say something like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 05:33 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times
Is Durham always like this?

Old 07-15-2019, 07:01 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
I live in Durham now, and while it is much better, there are many parts of Durham which are mirror images of Fayetteville. NC Central/East Durham is much like the Murch in Fayetteville, for example. Even Raleigh has its own "little Fayetteville" in the Capital Blvd area.
The difference is, Raleigh and Durham, while they have their bad areas, they also have many positives going for them. Fayetteville has very little going for it. The entire city is what I would call a bad area. There are a few nice areas, like Haymont, but even in those nice areas, they still have a problem with crime.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:41 AM

926 posts, read 827,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
The difference is, Raleigh and Durham, while they have their bad areas, they also have many positives going for them. Fayetteville has very little going for it. The entire city is what I would call a bad area. There are a few nice areas, like Haymont, but even in those nice areas, they still have a problem with crime.
It depends all on what your income is. If you can afford to live in higher income areas of Fayetteville, which by the way, aren't the areas you'll be driving through, then you will find Fayetteville to be really nice. Fayetteville has tons of areas that are much better than Haymount, and much larger, however Haymount is just the most notable due to its proximity to downtown, and lots of people go downtown. For instance, the areas around Dundle/Fisher Road, Village Dr/Robeson St, Ramsey Street around I-295, Cliffdale around Hoke Loop and Raeford Roads are only a handful of pristine areas in the city that have good schools, shopping options, and major office parks. Those areas also have higher income ranges and much more expensive housing options compared to the areas around major thoroughfares like Skibo, Murchison, and the majority of Raeford/U.S. 401, Bragg, and U.S. 301.

For comparison, my area east of downtown Fayetteville has a median house price of 250,000-3xx,000 and has over 10,000 residents - and unless you really know Fayetteville, you wouldn't know the Baywood Road area exists, hell, people that have lived here their entire life don't have a clue about how vibrant Fayetteville's newest up-and-coming areas are. Some don't even know theirs a second Harris Teeter.

As far as crime goes, it really depends on where you're at. Like you and I both know, in any city, the lower the income, the higher the crime. If you live in newer or higher end areas of the city, you'll have lower crime and an overall better environment.

Also, to say "Fayetteville has very little going for it" is definitely false. You're undermining the Segra Stadium, which costs $7 million more in Today's money than Durham Bulls Athletic Center. The fact that by the end of the year* Fayetteville's tallest building will be topped with a high-rise office and Hyatt hotel structure downtown, that the once long-time abandoned Prince Charles Hotel now features condos that are renting out at a much more accelerated rate than anticipated, that Fayetteville has a $65 Million dollar museum under construction downtown (in comparison, Fayetteville's Airborne/Special Ops museum was only $23M) , that Fayetteville has a $678 Million dollar highway under construction, that Fayetteville is experiencing the fastest population growth not due to annexation in decades, that Cape Fear Valley Medical Center is expanding residency in downtown Fayetteville, that plans are unfolding for Fayetteville to receive a Performing Arts Center, that suburbs of Fayetteville in Hoke, Harnett, and Grays Creek are growing at a faster rate than never before, in fact I'm willing to bet money that by 2024, Harnett County will be part of Fayetteville MSA considering the majority of the county's growth occurs at the Cumberland border. Not to mention, Fayetteville now has the second largest Mercedes-Benz dealership in the state, and has corporations moving to the city in record numbers since the 1960s*. Those are just a handful of things the city has done very recently (except I-295, that's been in progress for a while), but everything else I've listed has only been in the last year or 2. I'm not sure if this is true, but I read a few months ago that Fayetteville has the fastest increasing median income in the state which can be assumed to be a result of the better paying jobs coming to the city.

Yes, Fayetteville has its issues, but ever since I moved here, it's become more and more desirable each day and I'm proud to call it home seeing how fast the last 2 mayors have dealt with them.

Last edited by Archer705; 07-15-2019 at 09:49 AM..

Old 07-15-2019, 10:42 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
It’s quite simple. Places like High Point are part of much larger metro areas seeing much larger growth. Fayetteville is neither experiencing the rapid growth the larger places in the state are, not serve as a tourist destination for those that live here (Asheville, Wilmington). It’s thus an out-of-sight, out-of-mind place. It’s the Hickory of ENC.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:41 AM

678 posts, read 737,404 times
Cape Fear is key to improving this town. Fayetteville has the potential to be like Greenville SC, which is also on a river. The city was born as an inland port, but the Cape Fear river has been "forgotten" over past several decades (when Ft. Bragg became ascendant). Maybe as downtown keeps revitalizing, more attention can be paid to the Cape Fear. No reason why Fayetteville can't have a riverfront development, even though its river bluffs are high.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
It depends all on what your income is. If you can afford to live in higher income areas of Fayetteville, which by the way, aren't the areas you'll be driving through, then you will find Fayetteville to be really nice. Fayetteville has tons of areas that are much better than Haymount, and much larger, however Haymount is just the most notable due to its proximity to downtown, and lots of people go downtown. For instance, the areas around Dundle/Fisher Road, Village Dr/Robeson St, Ramsey Street around I-295, Cliffdale around Hoke Loop and Raeford Roads are only a handful of pristine areas in the city that have good schools, shopping options, and major office parks. Those areas also have higher income ranges and much more expensive housing options compared to the areas around major thoroughfares like Skibo, Murchison, and the majority of Raeford/U.S. 401, Bragg, and U.S. 301.

For comparison, my area east of downtown Fayetteville has a median house price of 250,000-3xx,000 and has over 10,000 residents - and unless you really know Fayetteville, you wouldn't know the Baywood Road area exists, hell, people that have lived here their entire life don't have a clue about how vibrant Fayetteville's newest up-and-coming areas are. Some don't even know theirs a second Harris Teeter.

As far as crime goes, it really depends on where you're at. Like you and I both know, in any city, the lower the income, the higher the crime. If you live in newer or higher end areas of the city, you'll have lower crime and an overall better environment.

Also, to say "Fayetteville has very little going for it" is definitely false. You're undermining the Segra Stadium, which costs $7 million more in Today's money than Durham Bulls Athletic Center. The fact that by the end of the year* Fayetteville's tallest building will be topped with a high-rise office and Hyatt hotel structure downtown, that the once long-time abandoned Prince Charles Hotel now features condos that are renting out at a much more accelerated rate than anticipated, that Fayetteville has a $65 Million dollar museum under construction downtown (in comparison, Fayetteville's Airborne/Special Ops museum was only $23M) , that Fayetteville has a $678 Million dollar highway under construction, that Fayetteville is experiencing the fastest population growth not due to annexation in decades, that Cape Fear Valley Medical Center is expanding residency in downtown Fayetteville, that plans are unfolding for Fayetteville to receive a Performing Arts Center, that suburbs of Fayetteville in Hoke, Harnett, and Grays Creek are growing at a faster rate than never before, in fact I'm willing to bet money that by 2024, Harnett County will be part of Fayetteville MSA considering the majority of the county's growth occurs at the Cumberland border. Not to mention, Fayetteville now has the second largest Mercedes-Benz dealership in the state, and has corporations moving to the city in record numbers since the 1960s*. Those are just a handful of things the city has done very recently (except I-295, that's been in progress for a while), but everything else I've listed has only been in the last year or 2. I'm not sure if this is true, but I read a few months ago that Fayetteville has the fastest increasing median income in the state which can be assumed to be a result of the better paying jobs coming to the city.

Yes, Fayetteville has its issues, but ever since I moved here, it's become more and more desirable each day and I'm proud to call it home seeing how fast the last 2 mayors have dealt with them.

Harnett County is already apart of Fayetteville MSA, I think Moore County should be next.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:48 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,958,699 times
I enjoyed reading all of these replies, most of my concerns have been answered,

Fayatteville is red headed step child of NC.but has a small chance to actually become something greater.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:51 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
Cape Fear is key to improving this town. Fayetteville has the potential to be like Greenville SC, which is also on a river. The city was born as an inland port, but the Cape Fear river has been "forgotten" over past several decades (when Ft. Bragg became ascendant). Maybe as downtown keeps revitalizing, more attention can be paid to the Cape Fear. No reason why Fayetteville can't have a riverfront development, even though its river bluffs are high.
It takes more than being on a river to be like Greenville.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:44 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteel View Post
I enjoyed reading all of these replies, most of my concerns have been answered,

Fayatteville is red headed step child of NC.but has a small chance to actually become something greater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tQeAZ8zW0g

nice little video on fayetteville, and believe it or not it really does have some good places to eat, some of the best bulgogi I ever had was in fayetteville also there's so many people that don't know about the zipline place, but it's a real cool place to check

out.
Lots of the flack it gets isn't deserved, some is absolutely deserved lol but it's no where near as bad as people on this forum make it out to be, and does have some nice things as well as a few good festivals too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina