U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 06:00 AM

19 posts, read 2,679 times

Advertisements

Iv'e always wondered this, Especially when you look at other midsize cities such as; durham, Greensboro and winston salem. These cities recieve a ton of coverage and praise, and even the baby brother high point is starting to shine.

Where as Fayetteville seems to be treated like NC's step child?. pardon my ignorance, it's just weird to me, i notice alot of developments in Fayetteville go completely unnoticed, almost like it is intentionally overlooked; such as the new ball park area and surrounding developments.

However even High Point has a Thread dedicated specifically for developments, yet Fayetteville has more people than high point? So can someone please clarify as to why this is? I am an old resident of Fayetteville, i grew up there before moving to Wilmington and soon will be relocating back to the triad(greensboro) so i honestly don't see the point of this unexplained hatred and outright disdain for Fayetteville.

I don't think iv'e even seen a thread about it and iv'e been lurking on city data for a pretty long time.

Last edited by Zensteel; 07-08-2019 at 06:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 08:45 AM

2,619 posts, read 2,933,830 times
Because Fayetteville sucks. Plain and simple. The main drag through town is full of neon lit strip clubs and gross motels. Fayetteville has the most strip clubs of any city in the state except Charlotte, which only has 1 more. Fayetteville is beyond fixing and will never be a nice place to live.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:34 AM

2,308 posts, read 1,795,193 times
It's a good argument to peg it to a triad city if anything if anything it has more oomph due to the base

Fayetville is conservative and military and so it inclines people to hate it

Heck it's bigger than greenville

Old 07-08-2019, 10:33 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,232,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Because Fayetteville sucks. Plain and simple. The main drag through town is full of neon lit strip clubs and gross motels. Fayetteville has the most strip clubs of any city in the state except Charlotte, which only has 1 more. Fayetteville is beyond fixing and will never be a nice place to live.
Man Fayetteville is no where near as bad as you making out to be. But to answer the OP the main issue with Fayetteville is that it needs to find a way to diversify the economy. Right now it's basically Military, The Good Year Plant, Cape Fear Medical,and Education. What the Triangle, Triad, and of Course Charlotte has over Fayetteville is jobs(more tech related jobs to be specific), downtown development, events, even better recreation.
All this being said, tho I moved in 2004 after HS, my family is in good ol' Fayettenam so I'm there on a regular basis and things are definitely changing and with the new baseball field, I do think downtown will start to see more development, and with that some perceptions of Fayetteville will change. Most of the crime is only a issue if you live on the Murc(Murchison Rd) Shaw Rd, and Bragg Blvd. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods, there just needs to be more things to do. But that is coming.
I also wish that fayetteville would better use it's resources, I used to live right across from kings Grant(between methodist college and pine forest) and I would go the jordan soccer complex to run and bike the cape fear river trail. But that's literally the only real point (there's a area closer to downtown where people fish) where people can access for recreation. I wish they better incorporated the river with the city, with at least a portion where people could rent kayaks, stand up pattleboards, etc etc and also since it's close to downtown, make a riverwalk( this has actually been discussed and would be a game changer for downtown)
that said, fayetteville does have some solid things to check out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4t7eU-BTpU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWnpTj7U_pI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghs72J35jSM

Old 07-08-2019, 11:28 AM

6,272 posts, read 10,025,558 times
Regionally speaking, the Sandhills area of NC has issues with perception. Some of this is well deserved, while much of it is racism against an area of this state with a large rural black population. Mix that in with Lumbees and Latinos (also groups who face racism) and there you have it. However, crime, poverty, and a large uneducated population doesn't help things at all.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:04 PM

2,185 posts, read 695,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Because Fayetteville sucks.
Nothing more needs to be said.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:34 PM

7,225 posts, read 8,236,619 times
To put it briefly, Fayetteville is not a city most choose to move to. Durham, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem people usually choose to move to.

A city that most don't choose to move to isn't going to be a city that gets a lot of positive press.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:56 PM

268 posts, read 76,299 times
Lots of threads about F'ville:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=36839564

Old 07-08-2019, 09:45 PM

823 posts, read 1,018,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
That was just wrong. Unless there was an error.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:26 AM

10,687 posts, read 11,310,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteel View Post
Iv'e always wondered this, Especially when you look at other midsize cities such as; durham, Greensboro and winston salem. These cities recieve a ton of coverage and praise, and even the baby brother high point is starting to shine.

Where as Fayetteville seems to be treated like NC's step child?. pardon my ignorance, it's just weird to me, i notice alot of developments in Fayetteville go completely unnoticed, almost like it is intentionally overlooked; such as the new ball park area and surrounding developments.

However even High Point has a Thread dedicated specifically for developments, yet Fayetteville has more people than high point? So can someone please clarify as to why this is? I am an old resident of Fayetteville, i grew up there before moving to Wilmington and soon will be relocating back to the triad(greensboro) so i honestly don't see the point of this unexplained hatred and outright disdain for Fayetteville.

I don't think iv'e even seen a thread about it and iv'e been lurking on city data for a pretty long time.
I grew up in Fayetteville, too. I think the ballpark downtown is really great and probably long overdue. Fayetteville benefits and suffers from its relationship with Fort Bragg, but the fact is there is not a lot of other industry other than some factories and healthcare in Fayetteville. There's not a lot of industry with high salaries like the tech industry in the Triangle or finance in Charlotte.

Higher education in Fayetteville is not very good compared to other cities in the state. Methodist is fine, but High Point U has a big buzz and draws a lot of kids from out of state, similar to Elon. UNC-G, Guilford, Wake Forest, UNC-W, all better than anything in Fayetteville. FSU is not the best HBCU. NC Central and NC A&T have much better reps. What Fayetteville is best at is being next door to Fort Bragg.

I agree that it would be nice if there was a subforum for Fayetteville and the Sandhills, but it just usually gets lumped under the North Carolina forum. Here are some Fayetteville threads:

Which suburb around Fayetteville is good?
Sykes to hire 500 more in Fayetteville by end of 2018
Fayetteville eyed for 208 (248) jobs averaging $64,300
Major development coming to North Fayetteville
Best areas in Fayetteville
Fayetteville's Growing Areas
What would you do? Fayetteville or Apex/Holly Spring/ Fuquay Varina
Fayetteville, NC: the good and the bad from an 11 year resident..
Possible relocation to Burlington or Fayetteville which one better for families?
Is Fayetteville NC a good place to invest in real estate ??
Name some reason why Fayetteville NC is not a good place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or