Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2019, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 862 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying I promise I’ve tried to find an existing forum with this or a similar question. Unfortunately, they’ve all been out dated and not specific.

I am looking to relocate with my husband and daughter (1yr old) to the Greenville area. I’m in the medical field currently. We live in Philadelphia, PA. It is definitely a change in scenery, but one we both would prefer. I know many people mention culture shock.

The plan is to go back for my doctorate at ECU so while we have some money to spend. I would prefer to keep costs on the lower end until I am done. I found an adorable little house with good bones that I would love to fix up and it’s well under our budget. However, it’s between Vidant and ECUs campus from my understanding just a few blocks below the river. The houses surrounding seem to have sold anywhere from $20-70k. My biggest concern is the safety of the neighborhood. I’ve seen reviews that say stay away from certain areas when buying, but no one ever really breaks down what those areas are. Help? Is that an area to stay away from? Is it better to avoid Greenville all together and look at Winterville?

I understand crime happens. I’m no stranger to it in Philadelphia. However, there are neighborhoods we stay away from because of drugs and shootings. I still have the ability to safely walk outside with my daughter and our dog regardless of the time. My concern is basically putting us in danger because of lack of knowledge.

I expressed my concern to the realtor about safety and being unfamiliar with the town. She responded by saying the street is mainly older black families with some white, but she doesn’t know everyone in every house.. call me naive, but that wasn’t super informative. Can you guys help?

Also, is it just better to send my daughter to a private school eventually? The ratings for public didn’t look great, and it’s the norm here to send to catholic or private rather than public. Not sure if the same holds true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 04:45 AM

327 posts, read 602,737 times
I would avoid that area you’re looking at. Most neighborhoods between ECU and Vidant are sketchy, especially along 5th St, Dickinson Ave, and Farmville Blvd. The best school district in the county is Chicod Elementary (K-8)/DH Conley High, however the majority of the school district is in a rural part of the county. If you don’t mind living just outside of the city limits, I would recommend looking in the Eastern Pines area, which I believe is within the Chicod school district. Lots of subdivisions, good neighborhoods, easy access to Greenville and the ECU campus with around a 10-15 minute commute. Look at areas around Ivy Road, Eastern Pines Rd, Portertown Rd, and Mobley’s Bridge Rd.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:37 AM

275 posts, read 330,502 times
What is your housing/renting budget? Overall Winterville would be a better and safer place than Greenville, but as the person above me said the Eastern Pines area of Greenville is good too. You could see if there are older houses you can fix-up, but again you will most likely be in the country at that point. What will your husband be doing if you don't mind me asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina