Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 08:14 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times

Advertisements

Just like the majority on this board my husband and I are looking to move from mass to nc (the east coast near the ocean is where we want to be - Beaufort, New Bern, Morehead City - we're not interested in anything 1/2 from the ocean). So far hubby has had two interviews (both paid for his trip down) but unfortunately he did not get either job. I'm wondering how many interviews did you go through until you landed your job? How long did it take? When asked why do you want to relocate to this area how did you answer? I guess I'm looking for some tips from people who went through this whole interview and relocation process? This last interview hubby thought he had nailed it and was all excited but the company ended up going with someone else. He's starting to think that being in mass is "hurting" him and has suggested we sell our house and move without jobs (i don't think this is a good idea).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 08:28 AM

512 posts, read 1,754,573 times
Chances are, you could probably afford to sell your house in Mass and get something for a fraction of the cost down there. I'm having the same difficulty with trying to move to San Diego from Jersey. I love the OBX in NC!

Old 12-20-2006, 08:30 AM

20 posts, read 295,598 times
Not NC, but I've interviewed for jobs out of state. That's how I ended up moving to where I live now!

Unless it's a sales job, where they tend to get really personal about your family life etc, you will find that most companies won't ask too many questions. Of course they will rightfully want to know when you will be ready to report for work. Any wishy-washyness may doom you. Unless of course you're very high in demand and they're willing to put you up in corporate housing at first. You should not state that you "want to relocate to" but instead state that you "plan to relocate to." The former will indicate that you see the company as a ticket to a new home, while the latter shows that you have a plan regardless.

Good luck

Old 12-20-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny XVI View Post
Not NC, but I've interviewed for jobs out of state. That's how I ended up moving to where I live now!

Unless it's a sales job, where they tend to get really personal about your family life etc, you will find that most companies won't ask too many questions. Of course they will rightfully want to know when you will be ready to report for work. Any wishy-washyness may doom you. Unless of course you're very high in demand and they're willing to put you up in corporate housing at first. You should not state that you "want to relocate to" but instead state that you "plan to relocate to." The former will indicate that you see the company as a ticket to a new home, while the latter shows that you have a plan regardless.

Good luck
Both companies asked him why does he want to relocate to NC, not necesarrily when can we relocate which i thought was interesting. We've talked about the time needed to change jobs and decided that he would need 2/3 weeks at the most. I would stay behind to sell the house and take care of the move. he would live in apartment until our home sold in mass. Thanks for the tip about wanting versus planning to relocate. thanks.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:12 AM

238 posts, read 668,735 times
Same thing happened to us. Hubby went to NC to interview from FL and they went w/local guy after driving 10 hrs, taking time off of work, hotel etc. We did make it a mini vacation and still had fun. We came back and he called a friend in GA after getting over the shock his friend said to put in for the job and put his name on the refferal application. Guess what he got the job! Network, Network, Network. PM me if I can help further. Thanks

Old 12-21-2006, 05:38 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
Just like the majority on this board my husband and I are looking to move from mass to nc (the east coast near the ocean is where we want to be - Beaufort, New Bern, Morehead City - we're not interested in anything 1/2 from the ocean). So far hubby has had two interviews (both paid for his trip down) but unfortunately he did not get either job. I'm wondering how many interviews did you go through until you landed your job? How long did it take? When asked why do you want to relocate to this area how did you answer? I guess I'm looking for some tips from people who went through this whole interview and relocation process? This last interview hubby thought he had nailed it and was all excited but the company ended up going with someone else. He's starting to think that being in mass is "hurting" him and has suggested we sell our house and move without jobs (i don't think this is a good idea).
I don't want to bog you down with my story, but let me just say that I'm in my late 20s and I've been there and done that. My situation is weird b/c I was living in Phoenix/Chandler and was planning on moving back to my home state (FL). I applied for a job in Charlotte in Sept. At the beginning of Oct, 3 weeks before I was to leave for FL I got a call to do a phone interview for the job in Charlotte. I didn't have to go there to interview so that saved me some money.

When I came back FL the first week of Nov I applied for a jobs in the Raliegh area. Once again, the Raleigh interview was over the phone. Needless to say, I got the position in Raleigh (I start in two weeks) after one interview but not the one in Charlotte. Now I can tell you that I started interviewing for jobs in August and it took 6 interviews and 3 months later for me to get a offer, even though I think I had a offer in San Fran and that fell apart.

When asked why you want to relocate to an area, I tell them what they want and need to hear. About Charlotte I said that it was a progressive area and that I wanted to be near my family in Florida and back in the south again. No matter where you're interviewing for a job, tell them that you want to be in that area b/c of the lifestyle that the area can offer you. I always use that line. Two years ago when when I moved from FL to Phoenix I used that same line in the phone interview and the interview in person. People want to hear that their area has something to offer you and that you're not taking a step backwards when leaving your city to come to their's.

This is especially true in Carolina, but the people that your husband is interviewing with will want him to express how comfortable he would feel in the area. I had to do that for my interview in Charlotte and Raliegh, even though I was born and raised in Florida (which is technically in the south), but they knew that I had never been to North Carolina and that it would be an adjustment. They needed to hear sincerity from me about how I would handle that adjustment and why I wanted to leave some place that was different than what I was used to.

Tell you hubby to keep his head up and be positive and confident in the things that he has accomplished in his career. I've been where he is at.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotrod View Post
Same thing happened to us. Hubby went to NC to interview from FL and they went w/local guy after driving 10 hrs, taking time off of work, hotel etc. We did make it a mini vacation and still had fun. We came back and he called a friend in GA after getting over the shock his friend said to put in for the job and put his name on the refferal application. Guess what he got the job! Network, Network, Network. PM me if I can help further. Thanks
Our biggest problem is we don't know anyone in north carolina so networking is a challenge. What boggles my mind is that BOTH companies paid for his trip down (the flights, hotels, car rental, even reimbursed him for his expenses like dinner and parking at our airport in RI) so both places liked him on paper but didn't like him in person (i guess).

Old 12-21-2006, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
When asked why you want to relocate to an area, I tell them what they want and need to hear. About Charlotte I said that it was a progressive area and that I wanted to be near my family in Florida and back in the south again. No matter where you're interviewing for a job, tell them that you want to be in that area b/c of the lifestyle that the area can offer you. I always use that line. Two years ago when when I moved from FL to Phoenix I used that same line in the phone interview and the interview in person. People want to hear that their area has something to offer you and that you're not taking a step backwards when leaving your city to come to their's.

This is especially true in Carolina, but the people that your husband is interviewing with will want him to express how comfortable he would feel in the area. I had to do that for my interview in Charlotte and Raliegh, even though I was born and raised in Florida (which is technically in the south), but they knew that I had never been to North Carolina and that it would be an adjustment. They needed to hear sincerity from me about how I would handle that adjustment and why I wanted to leave some place that was different than what I was used to.

Tell you hubby to keep his head up and be positive and confident in the things that he has accomplished in his career. I've been where he is at.
Thanks for sharing and for the relocation question tip. I'll definitely let hubby know that one.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:22 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
We are having the same challenges here Im planning on putting my house on the market next month dh had a phone interview this week we will hear something after the new year, we did hear he is the Front Runner right now however for us we were told it was 6 months consulting to hire...well it is 6 months consulting and we are tying to find more info because that is a bit risky, however my husband has a few connections and called a few people (networking) as he always does...He is in IT and recieved quiet alot of interest so we will see, but Im afraid if I sell my house in 3 months and he still doesnt get a job then what?? So we are really trying to time this whole process and that we have 2 children and need to finish out school...Originally we said the same thing, no big deal for him to commute back and fourth for a bit until the house sells however you will find ALOT of companies that WILL NOT pay for a relo, which is fine for us however I cant afford paying all the bills in NJ while paying rent for an intrum apt in NC, SO WE really need to figure out what we will do...

Old 12-21-2006, 08:24 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
especially with the NC salaries, dont get me wrong he isnt taking a huge paycut however we know its double to live here than to live in NC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina