Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2006, 11:04 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,313,532 times

Advertisements

Wow...I can't believe the amount of people that are relocating or are considering relocating to NC...In the beginning, I never had intentions of moving south from Jersey. No reason in particular other than maybe because ever since I was a kid, we've vacationed in Maryland (Ocean City), Delaware, North Carolina, etc. So the south has always been a place for me to "get away". I've enjoyed going there, I still do, we even finally made all the way to Florida and I love it...but as a vacation. Although I've been across the country a few times, and I love it there as well, with distance and money, it's not something I'd do on a yearly basis as a family vacation. However, going south to enjoy the weather is. I always thought, if I move south then where the heck would I vacation every year...Jersey? Yeah, right. Well, after coming into this forum, I thought it may be a good idea to relocate down south, it sounds much nicer and less uptight than up here. But I have to say that once again, I've changed my mind, and all you people have helped me. I am not a mean, rude or obnoxious northerner, I'm actually a very nice person and a lot of fun to be with. But I know how we are up here as a "general population" and we can be very nasty and overbearing. I'm trying to get away from that, no offense North Carolina, but I do not want to relocate my family all the way down there just to end up with the people I left behind, the same as you don't want those kind of people there. I love my family and friends but I can always see them, I'm leaving behind everyone else. It's sad because someone can move here from far away and after awhile, they become like us. Yet, when we move, it's very rare that we re-adjust our lifestyles and personalities to fit other peoples' way of life...and that's wrong. Nothing and nowhere is perfect, and I'm sure there are things here that may be nicer than anywhere else and there are things in other places that are nicer than here. But if the south is a nice place to be than I would rather visit once in a while and appreciate what I am seeing than to be part of something that moves there and ruins it. NCer's, I'm not saying that we will "ruin" or "change" your ways of life, maybe we will, maybe we won't, but proof and history do show that when enough of one group enters a place, they usually have the ability to cause change. In all fairness to what I'm saying, Jersey used to be a great place too with beautiful land and seascapes, but just like proof and history, people have overcrowded and changed that. I don't want to be someone who does that to you or to what you have there and I like I said, I don't want to end up with the same people I was leaving in the first place. So I think I'll excuse myself as a potential "transplant" and continue looking in northern New England or somewhere else that's less populated. Good luck NC and The South (don't let it become like NY/NJ), I'll still be in to chat and we'll be seeing you during our summers!!!

Ps. If we don't succeed at living up to our obnoxious reputation...send a sign and I'd be glad to move down there!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2006, 11:33 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,533,759 times
Good decision...... for all the reasons you listed. You should move to Upstate NY (if you can get a job there). You'd be shocked at how different the people there are than they are in the NYC metro. But I think your other choice was Maine right?

Old 05-05-2006, 11:57 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,313,532 times
Upstate New York is very beautiful, but I don't think I'd live there. Honestly, I think because of being from NJ and so close to NYC, I've just been turned off to the whole NY/NJ thing period. I know it's not the same, but again, maybe it's just too close in proximity to where I live now. And to go up near Buffalo, I don't know about those snow drifts But again, upstate is one of those places I'd like to keep visiting.

Yes, it was Maine that I was looking at. However, if you go into the Maine forum, it gets bashed pretty significantly too. (i.e. lack of jobs, no growth, "the welfare state", drugs, pregnancy, lack of activity causes kids to get into trouble). But I'm taking it with a grain of salt because I don't know what they are comparing it to. Drugs and pregnancy compared to NJ can't possibly be that bad, but then again, they live there, I don't, so who knows. I think the problem with Maine is that either you live in the city or the boonies, there's no in between whatsoever. In the forum, for all the bashing there is, some people swear it's the greatest place on earth, so who knows where the "right place" is????? I've also begun to research southern NH and in all honesty, it seems to be looking good so far, regarding cost of living, schools and jobs/job growth opportunity....so we'll see (and it's one of only two states that has no sales tax and no state income tax...that's pretty nice considering where we're coming from). And who can beat the motto "Live Free or Die", sounds like a sweet lifestyle to me. I'm sure NH has it's problems as well, and people must complain, but what might not be right for one person might be exactly the right thing for another. We sure as h*ll don't "live free" in Jersey.

I just hope that I'm not one of those people who wants to leave Jersey but never gets to. I may change my mind or I may move and then move back, but I'm the kind of person who isn't afraid of risk or change and I think I'll regret it if I don't at least make the attempt to see what it's like somewhere else, especially for my children.

Last edited by pixieshmoo; 05-05-2006 at 12:01 PM..

Old 05-10-2006, 02:11 PM

58 posts, read 343,328 times
Upstate is a great place to relocate to (if you can find work). It is a great land investment right now, a lot of NYC people are buying land there now that The Hamptons have just about filled up. My Dad and Grandfather have both moved up there and love it, they don't even like to go to The Island in the summer months anymore. I myself have moved south and I like it here, I just can't take the winters upstate (negative temps., snowed in for days). I don't know much about Maine, but I can tell you if you can take the winters and find a job, upstate NY is a great place for relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: