Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 09:49 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyking55 View Post
I realize Rocky Mount isn't what jumps to people's mind when they hear retirement, but for me, I am specifically looking for a small town. I am totally burnt out of big city life. I have horses so want to be in an area where there are farms and stables and there are many in that region.
I'm looking to rent, not own, and there were several rentals in and around that area.
I like the fact there's an Amtrak station there because I travel up and down the east coast and the trains stop there. I can also jump on I-95 which I'll need to do when traveling to horse shows.
I'm looking at some other towns too, on the eastern side of NC.
Given what you just described, I recommend looking into Wilson.

Quote:
LM117, I like what you said about the city government. That's the type of info that only someone living around there would know about; it's not going to pop up in google searches.
I actually don't live in Rocky Mount, but I'm no stranger to it. I currently live in Danville, VA but I'm originally from the Goldsboro area in NC and used to go to Wilson and Rocky Mount often.

Most of what I know about the city government lately has been from reading the local newspaper, the Rocky Mount Telegram. A friend of mine is an RN at UNC Nash General Hospital there, so I also hear a thing or two once in a while.

These articles should help bring you up to speed on what I was talking about in my last post:

City looks to replace embattled official - Rocky Mount Telegram

Candidates differ over results of city probe - Rocky Mount Telegram

Longtime city department head resigns - Rocky Mount Telegram

City manager faced same allegations - Rocky Mount Telegram

Residents sound off to council - Rocky Mount Telegram

Council candidate loses court fight with city - Rocky Mount Telegram

Last edited by LM117; 09-16-2019 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 05:52 PM

412 posts, read 145,456 times
Wilson is much nicer than Rocky Mount. I'd look there If you want to live in a smaller town.

Greenville is nice but it's near 100,000 people now

Old 09-17-2019, 12:37 PM

412 posts, read 145,456 times
City faces housing challenges - Rocky Mount Telegram

Old 09-20-2019, 01:33 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie15 View Post
Wilson is much nicer than Rocky Mount. I'd look there If you want to live in a smaller town.

Greenville is nice but it's near 100,000 people now
If I were OP I'd look at Wilson as opposed to RM as well.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:39 PM

32 posts, read 30,453 times
Default Wilson

Thank you both.

I will check out Wilson!

Old 09-22-2019, 12:33 AM

20 posts, read 5,552 times
Rocky Mount is pretty much gone

Old 09-22-2019, 12:34 AM

20 posts, read 5,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Given what you just described, I recommend looking into Wilson.

I actually don't live in Rocky Mount, but I'm no stranger to it. I currently live in Danville, VA but I'm originally from the Goldsboro area in NC and used to go to Wilson and Rocky Mount often.

Most of what I know about the city government lately has been from reading the local newspaper, the Rocky Mount Telegram. A friend of mine is an RN at UNC Nash General Hospital there, so I also hear a thing or two once in a while.

These articles should help bring you up to speed on what I was talking about in my last post:

City looks to replace embattled official - Rocky Mount Telegram

Candidates differ over results of city probe - Rocky Mount Telegram

Longtime city department head resigns - Rocky Mount Telegram

City manager faced same allegations - Rocky Mount Telegram

Residents sound off to council - Rocky Mount Telegram

Council candidate loses court fight with city - Rocky Mount Telegram

You live in Danville? LOL

Damn, and you defend Rocky Dump like you are on chamber

Old 09-22-2019, 05:19 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus238 View Post
You live in Danville? LOL

Damn, and you defend Rocky Dump like you are on chamber
Reading isn't your strong suit, is it? If I was "defending" Rocky Mount, I would've told OP to move there and not even bother looking at other places, nor would I have posted links to articles covering the chaos going on with the city council and manager. And if you had even bothered to read my post that you quoted, you would've seen that I suggested Wilson, since it has what OP wants without dealing with the notorious negatives of Rocky Mount.

Yeah, I'm "on chamber".

Old 06-05-2021, 12:18 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,791 times
Rocky Mount (metro) made it to a list we wouldn't have guessed.

#5 in US in home value gains...

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gal...ns/7505325002/

Old 06-05-2021, 06:42 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Rocky Mount (metro) made it to a list we wouldn't have guessed.

#5 in US in home value gains...

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gal...ns/7505325002/
I probably wouldn't have guessed it either had I not met someone who works for a nonprofit in Rocky Mount that works with lower income folks about 3-4 years ago, and heard them talking about what was happening then. At that time, the housing market wasn't so hyperactive, many of those "we buy houses" companies that plaster their signs along the roads were honing in heavily on Rocky Mount.

Even though it was, and still is, an economically depressed area, these flippers were seeing how low property values were in some areas and offering to pay cash to people under market value at that time. The sad thing about that is people who were in economic hardships saw a cash offer and took it, even though it wasn't in their best interests but some of these flippers take advantage of people who aren't the most business savvy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina