Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 05:06 PM

219 posts, read 850,641 times

Advertisements

This type of law has been in effect in NC and other states for some time.
It has been posted throughout those states.
So many police officers and highway workers have killed and seriously injured that something had to be done.
So, slow down and move over.
I know that 700+ is a terrible shock but, not to be dramatic, how would you feel if you were one of the unfortunate people who struck a worker or officer?
It would be devastating.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:19 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,430,451 times
The Law Enforcement Officers, Firemen, and EMT's on the side of the road have every right to go home at the end of their shift. This law is based in the proven need for such by the deaths of too many killed simply doing their job by inattentive drivers.

Pull over and/or slow down and quit whining.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:08 PM

255 posts, read 882,234 times
Here's the numbers from 2007:

Total Line of Duty Deaths: 187
9/11 related illness: 7
Accidental: 4
Aircraft accident: 3
Animal related: 1
Automobile accident: 47
Boating accident: 1
Bomb: 5
Drowned: 3
Exposure to toxins: 1
Fall: 3
Gunfire: 65
Gunfire (Accidental): 4
Heart attack: 8
Heat exhaustion: 1
Motorcycle accident: 7
Struck by vehicle: 9
Vehicle pursuit: 6
Vehicular assault: 10
Weather/Natural disaster: 2

Old 04-18-2008, 11:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,477 times
Default Bad Financial Strategy

I have a similar experience. I am a VA resident and I was driving in NC to Pinehurst to scout the area as a potential location to bring 16 golfers for an outing. I have done this for 15 years and have chosen other surrounding states. However, I will probably rule out NC for any future events.

The speed limit was 70 mph (I was driving about 75 max). There were two patrol cars on the right side of the road with their lights on (one had an out-of-state car pulled over and the second was just sitting about 50 yards behind the front one). When I saw the two patrol cars over on the side of the road ahead I slowed to 63-65 mph looked in the side mirror and saw a vehicle in the left lane a little ways back but could not determine the vehicle's speed. So I felt that it was safer to keep my eyes on the patrol cars and continue at this reduced speed. As soon as I passed the rear patrol car it pulled out and pulled me over.

The officer approached my vehicle and was abrupt as if this law was as well known as speeding laws. I was polite anyway but he gave me the "failure to move over" ticket. I slowed down. How much are you required to slow down? I wish I had asked (next time I could get a ticket going too slow on the interstate). While he was writing the ticket I sat and watched as at least 10 cars with NC plates drove by us in the near lane without slowing down and only one that I saw that was from out-of-state. The previous patrol car then passed us while we waited and pulled over the out-of-state vehicle. This is called "leap frogging". Illegal? No. Does it unfairly treat tourists? Yes. I was trying to do what I thought was the safest thing to do and got no sympathy or understanding from the officer. It would have put the officers under more danger if I spent extra time looking into the mirrors to determine if the vehicle in the left lane was a safe distance and traveling at a safe speed for me to move over into the left lane. I slowed down! What more could be expected?!?!?

The ticket allows out-of-state drivers to pay the ticket by mail and they count on you just paying it to avoid having to come back to NC.

I understand that protecting the lives of officers is important. However, targeting out-of-state drivers is not the best way to raise revenues. I will not be doing business in NC on principle now. The $370 in revenue for this ticket cost NC businesses more than $16,000 in sales and the state of NC will lose tax revenues of over $1100 for just this one event in 2008. Smart financial strategy for NC? You tell me.

Last edited by Ex-PotentialTourist; 04-18-2008 at 11:21 PM..

Old 04-19-2008, 09:38 AM

There are signs as you enter NC specific to NC laws, such as your headlights are to be on if you wipers are on, Motorcycle riders and passengers must wear helmets, and the move over law.

Read the signs, follow the rules, no sniveling.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:08 PM

716 posts, read 2,149,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PotentialTourist View Post
I have a similar experience. I am a VA resident and I was driving in NC to Pinehurst to scout the area as a potential location to bring 16 golfers for an outing. I have done this for 15 years and have chosen other surrounding states. However, I will probably rule out NC for any future events.

The speed limit was 70 mph (I was driving about 75 max). There were two patrol cars on the right side of the road with their lights on (one had an out-of-state car pulled over and the second was just sitting about 50 yards behind the front one). When I saw the two patrol cars over on the side of the road ahead I slowed to 63-65 mph looked in the side mirror and saw a vehicle in the left lane a little ways back but could not determine the vehicle's speed. So I felt that it was safer to keep my eyes on the patrol cars and continue at this reduced speed. As soon as I passed the rear patrol car it pulled out and pulled me over.

The officer approached my vehicle and was abrupt as if this law was as well known as speeding laws. I was polite anyway but he gave me the "failure to move over" ticket. I slowed down. How much are you required to slow down? I wish I had asked (next time I could get a ticket going too slow on the interstate). While he was writing the ticket I sat and watched as at least 10 cars with NC plates drove by us in the near lane without slowing down and only one that I saw that was from out-of-state. The previous patrol car then passed us while we waited and pulled over the out-of-state vehicle. This is called "leap frogging". Illegal? No. Does it unfairly treat tourists? Yes. I was trying to do what I thought was the safest thing to do and got no sympathy or understanding from the officer. It would have put the officers under more danger if I spent extra time looking into the mirrors to determine if the vehicle in the left lane was a safe distance and traveling at a safe speed for me to move over into the left lane. I slowed down! What more could be expected?!?!?

The ticket allows out-of-state drivers to pay the ticket by mail and they count on you just paying it to avoid having to come back to NC.

I understand that protecting the lives of officers is important. However, targeting out-of-state drivers is not the best way to raise revenues. I will not be doing business in NC on principle now. The $370 in revenue for this ticket cost NC businesses more than $16,000 in sales and the state of NC will lose tax revenues of over $1100 for just this one event in 2008. Smart financial strategy for NC? You tell me.
Wait, are you trying to tell me that the state troopers in your beloved Virginia on I-81 and I-95 and in the NoVA area don't just sit on the highways and pick out out-of-state plates to pull over?

A HA HA HA HAAAA HA HA HAHA HA!!! Oh, my sides hurt.

My husband got pulled out of a pack of speeding cars on I-81 near Lexington (which we've since found out is a notorious speed trap) and we're pretty sure he got singled out because he had NC tags.

Talk about thinking that someone is just going to "mail it in":
We actually *went to court* in Lexington! Dozens of cases were called before ours was, and they just assumed the drivers wouldn't show up. So those people got the full fine. When they called our case, the trooper seemed stunned and flustered, like he didn't have his paperwork ready because no one expected us to be there. We got a minimal fine, and went home.

And I'm already on the record as not wanting anyone coming here with lousy attitudes, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't shed any tears over your post.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:12 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,069,720 times
This post may be slightly off topic, but it does relate to this discussion.

In the end, you must take responsibility for your actions. If you are going to speed, then you must be prepared for the consequences if you are caught. No one wants a speeding ticket, or any kind of ticket. But if you do speed,be prepared to get a ticket. I have a lead foot at times I admit but everytime I go above the speed limit I know its a possibility of getting a ticket.

A police officer told me that it is unfortunate but true that your law abiding, tax paying citizens only encounter with law enforcement in their life time will probably be a negative one. He meant that most law abiding people have their only dealing with a trooper/officer/deputy when they are getting a ticket for some traffic offense.

When you get pulled over,even if you are obviously in the wrong, you blame everyone but yourself for your own predicament. "Why did he pick me, everyone else was speeding" "I was going with the flow" etc....It is aggravating to think about losing time going to court or hard earned money to give up and it is frustrating.

Accept responsibility and move on.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PotentialTourist View Post
I have a similar experience. I am a VA resident and I was driving in NC .......................
VA, the state where I got pulled over not far from the NC line for having two garage door openers on my sunvisor. Once he saw they one was not a fuzzbuster I was on my way.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:29 PM

255 posts, read 882,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
This post may be slightly off topic, but it does relate to this discussion.

In the end, you must take responsibility for your actions. If you are going to speed, then you must be prepared for the consequences if you are caught. No one wants a speeding ticket, or any kind of ticket. But if you do speed,be prepared to get a ticket. I have a lead foot at times I admit but everytime I go above the speed limit I know its a possibility of getting a ticket.

A police officer told me that it is unfortunate but true that your law abiding, tax paying citizens only encounter with law enforcement in their life time will probably be a negative one. He meant that most law abiding people have their only dealing with a trooper/officer/deputy when they are getting a ticket for some traffic offense.

When you get pulled over,even if you are obviously in the wrong, you blame everyone but yourself for your own predicament. "Why did he pick me, everyone else was speeding" "I was going with the flow" etc....It is aggravating to think about losing time going to court or hard earned money to give up and it is frustrating.

Accept responsibility and move on.
100% agree absolutely. But police officers should at least give warnings to law abiding, tax paying citizens with clean license records when 70+% of them statistically do not even know about a "move over" law...heck in all honestly I would of RATHER been speeding. It's a cheaper ticket and at least I could feel like I had done something wrong and it was my fault..lol

If they do not want a bad rep for being jerks, heck just give a warning from time to time. If the guy could of simply informed me/warned me it would of accomplised the exact same thing as the ticket..

Old 04-20-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
100% agree absolutely. But police officers should at least give warnings to law abiding, tax paying citizens with clean license records when 70+% of them statistically do not even know about a "move over" law...heck in all honestly I would of RATHER been speeding. It's a cheaper ticket and at least I could feel like I had done something wrong and it was my fault..lol

If they do not want a bad rep for being jerks, heck just give a warning from time to time. If the guy could of simply informed me/warned me it would of accomplised the exact same thing as the ticket..
If you live here, information about the law has been promoted in the media since it became law over 6 years ago. There are still PSA's to inform people about the law.

If you are not from NC, there are signs informing every driver of them as soon as they cross into NC.

Not that anyone would ever tell a LEO that they were not aware of a law, that they actually knew existed.

But think of it as a public service, if you had only received a "warning" would you have posted anything about this? Perhaps you have saved another person the cost of a ticket, or even saved the life of a LEO, firefighter, or EMT because someone else learned about the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina