U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2008, 07:11 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,929 times
Reputation: 10
Default NC Tourist Friend?

"No sniveling"? Easy for you to say because you (an in-state NC driver) are not targeted for this "revenue generating" ticket. Didn't you read my post??? I slowed down (which is what the law allows in this situation), but was given a ticket anyway. I have never gotten a ticket or had an automobile accident in my entire driving experience - 30 years. What does that say about my feelings about safety. I drive the speed limit and drive safely.

If NC was so concerned about safety why would they put up detailed signs and/or multiple signs for drivers to read as they are driving? Shouldn't drivers keep their eyes on the road instead of reading road signs listing the laws of the state ?!?!?! Why not post the entire drivers manual?!?!

Well since you seem to not care about out-of-state revenue from tourism then I guess you are happy paying higher taxes to offset the loss in tourism revenue? Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There are signs as you enter NC specific to NC laws, such as your headlights are to be on if you wipers are on, Motorcycle riders and passengers must wear helmets, and the move over law.

Read the signs, follow the rules, no sniveling.

 
Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: The 12th State
21,930 posts, read 38,961,475 times
Reputation: 13143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PotentialTourist View Post
"No sniveling"? Easy for you to say because you (an in-state NC driver) are not targeted for this "revenue generating" ticket. Didn't you read my post??? I slowed down (which is what the law allows in this situation), but was given a ticket anyway. I have never gotten a ticket or had an automobile accident in my entire driving experience - 30 years. What does that say about my feelings about safety. I drive the speed limit and drive safely.

If NC was so concerned about safety why would they put up detailed signs and/or multiple signs for drivers to read as they are driving? Shouldn't drivers keep their eyes on the road instead of reading road signs listing the laws of the state ?!?!?! Why not post the entire drivers manual?!?!

Well since you seem to not care about out-of-state revenue from tourism then I guess you are happy paying higher taxes to offset the loss in tourism revenue? Hmm.
Apparently you did not slow down enough it does not take much speed for you to not come to a complete stop if needed to avoid killing a cop which is what you really want to do since you have more issues about a ticket that is meant to protect the ones who are protecting , and caring for us.
 
Old 04-21-2008, 08:51 PM
 
16,311 posts, read 14,197,179 times
Reputation: 7958


This image of a sign informing drivers of the "move over law" is courtesy of the state of VIRGINIA, which it appears also has a law that requires drivers to MOVE OVER. Virginia's Move Over law has been on the books for six years. Violators face a $2,500 fine and up to a year in jail And how much was the fine in NC?

It seems to state the law clearly, with no need to post the entire law, and leaving no doubt about what drivers are required by law to do when emergency vehicles are stopped along the side of the road.

In addition to NC and VA, the following states also have "move over" laws:
Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming

It is NOT about tourism, it is about protecting the LIVES of the men and women who are simply doing their jobs trying to keep everyone safe, and picking up the pieces when things go wrong.
 
Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,929 times
Reputation: 10
Default You Weren't There, So Don't Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Apparently you did not slow down enough it does not take much speed for you to not come to a complete stop if needed to avoid killing a cop which is what you really want to do since you have more issues about a ticket that is meant to protect the ones who are protecting , and caring for us.
You are very quick to jump to conclusions and pass judgement. I understand the reason for the law and support it. However, the law states you need to slow down OR move over to the left lane. Based on your argument, since I am allowed to stay in the right lane but slow down, I would have to slow down to 25-30 mph in order to come to a complete stop if an officer stepped out into traffic. Is that a safe speed for the Interstate????? In addition, when I asked the officer what that safe speed was he said, "slower than you were going."

There are also facts that you need to know before you pass judgement. The shoulder where the patrol cars were was over 20 feet wide. The patrol cars were pulled off the shoulder and partly onto the grass (over 15 feet between the patrol cars and the right traffic lane). There was enough room to for a tractor trailer to drive between the right lane and the officers' vehicles. The Officer would have had to leave his vehicle and walk over 12 to 15 feet before he would have been in risk of being struck by a car.

If the patrol cars had been closer to the right lane I would have definitely moved over into the left lane. You were not there and did not see the situation. I explained the situation to one of my close friends who has been a VA State Trooper for 10 years. He was extremely surprised that I received a ticket and said that I should fight it since I have two witnesses that were in my vehicle at the time I was issued the ticket.

Violations should result in a ticket. This was NOT a violation.
 
Old 04-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: The 12th State
21,930 posts, read 38,961,475 times
Reputation: 13143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PotentialTourist View Post
You are very quick to jump to conclusions and pass judgement. I understand the reason for the law and support it. However, the law states you need to slow down OR move over to the left lane. Based on your argument, since I am allowed to stay in the right lane but slow down, I would have to slow down to 25-30 mph in order to come to a complete stop if an officer stepped out into traffic. Is that a safe speed for the Interstate????? In addition, when I asked the officer what that safe speed was he said, "slower than you were going."
Bless your heart,
Yes you would have to slow 25-30 mph or even down to two miles an hour if needed. If your brake lights are functioning then it is safe for interstate
WHEN THERE IS EMERGENCY VECHILE LIGHTS ARE FLASHING!!
It not going to take no more than probably 3 minutes out of your schedule!!
So the cop was right you was going to fast and you broke the law and when you admit to yourself that you could have killed a person to protect us all then you will realize what is safe!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PotentialTourist View Post
There are also facts that you need to know before you pass judgement. The shoulder where the patrol cars were was over 20 feet wide. The patrol cars were pulled off the shoulder and partly onto the grass (over 15 feet between the patrol cars and the right traffic lane). There was enough room to for a tractor trailer to drive between the right lane and the officers' vehicles. The Officer would have had to leave his vehicle and walk over 12 to 15 feet before he would have been in risk of being struck by a car.
I am not passing judgement it pretty simple you broke the law and you pay for your actions plain and simple. If you see emergency flashers slow down or move over it not for you to decide how far cop is pulled off the side of the shoulder or they would have put that in the law Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PotentialTourist View Post
If the patrol cars had been closer to the right lane I would have definitely moved over into the left lane. You were not there and did not see the situation. I explained the situation to one of my close friends who has been a VA State Trooper for 10 years. He was extremely surprised that I received a ticket and said that I should fight it since I have two witnesses that were in my vehicle at the time I was issued the ticket.

Violations should result in a ticket. This was NOT a violation.
It does not matter what other people opinions of other states think they did not write the law for this state to protect our brave.

Since January 2002, the Highway Patrol said that 72 troopers have been struck either in or out of their patrol cars.
State Trooper Struck By Passing Vehicle :: WRAL.com

Traffic Enforcement, Highway Patrol
 
Old 04-22-2008, 09:43 PM
 
16,311 posts, read 14,197,179 times
Reputation: 7958
You are allowed to stay in the right lane ONLY if it is not possible to move over. Brake lights and turn signal might have gone a long way to indicate your intentions, as does the lack of them.

Majority of the states have the law, and expect more to enact move over laws.

Or you can understand that "life isn't always fair" and not allow this to ruin the rest of your life due to your obsession with always being 'right', or you can learn and move over... make that move on

Last edited by Asheville Native; 04-22-2008 at 09:52 PM..
 
Old 04-22-2008, 09:58 PM
 
4,609 posts, read 5,169,842 times
Reputation: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PotentialTourist View Post
Violations should result in a ticket. This was NOT a violation.
Apparently it was, since you have a ticket.


Not sure if you can use the trump card saying he pulled you over because of
out a state plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PotentialTourist View Post
I slowed to 63-65 mph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PotentialTourist View Post
As soon as I passed the rear patrol car it pulled out and pulled me over.
Kinda hard to read a plate when a vehicle is passing you that fast, and you are at a stand still. Don't you think?

Last edited by autumngal; 04-22-2008 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: typo
 
Old 04-23-2008, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Charlotte (Berewick)
255 posts, read 598,230 times
Reputation: 51
So what happens when an elderly/teen-ager swerves over to get into the middle lane, hits the car in his/her blind spot, causing a horrific interstate accident killing multiple people? Do we pass a new law not letting elderly/teen-agers onto the Interstate?
 
Old 04-23-2008, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
44,418 posts, read 55,062,206 times
Reputation: 37251
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Situations like this one are what prompted the law - quit whining about it and put yourself in this guys shoes - which I guess he would wear if he still had his legs.

N.C. Paramedic Struck, Loses Legs at Accident Scene — (EMSResponder.com)

I been watching this thread continue on for days past its usefulness. The law is the law, it is there for good reason - as the link I posted above proves. Those of you who want to keep whining and arguing about it and "what iffing" the driving scenarios have WAY too much time on your hands. LET IT GO, and let's all drive safely out there
 
Old 04-23-2008, 11:31 AM
 
4,609 posts, read 5,169,842 times
Reputation: 5113
Probably best we all move on. Everything seems to have been covered.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top