Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:25 PM

255 posts, read 882,290 times

Advertisements

After lunch I pulled onto 485 on the way back to work today off the Ft Mill exit, drove a mile or so (right past the Arrowwood Exit), passed a cop on the side of the road giving someone a ticket. Did not think nothing of it.

Shortly after he pulls up behind me, flags me over and writes me a ticket for the following..

"Operate a motor vehicle on a street or highway (and failing to move vehicle into a lane that is not the lane nearest to the parked or standing authorized emergency vehicle and continue traveling in that lane until safely clear of the authorized emergency vehicle) when an authorized emergency vehicle is parked or standing within 12 feet of a roadway and is giving a warning signal by appropriate light (G.S 20-157(F))"

Freaking 250 dollar ticket, 120 court costs! So I now have to appear in court and take like a 4 hour class so it will not go on my insurance.

I have not received a driving violation ticket in forever...pisses me off. I could at least receieved a warning, heck I did not even know I was required my law to move over.

Anyway just be aware of this so you can avoid the same.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:30 PM

777 posts, read 2,556,238 times
Yeah, this law passed a few months ago and it was published in the Observer at the time. I remember telling my wife of the new law since she doesn't read the paper.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:30 PM

237 posts, read 296,640 times
Would you also, please, when emergency vehicles are on the side of road, not block the person ahead of you who is trying to move one lane over from doing so? as the fifty something murano driving starbucks drinking slob blocked me from doing yesterday on I85

Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 PM

Do Police not give warnings anymore?

Heck I rarely read the paper..

Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,292,087 times
NCSmartLink.org - Traffic Incident Management (http://www.ncdot.org/traffictravel/incident/faq.html - broken link)

Old 04-17-2008, 12:39 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,848,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
After lunch I pulled onto 485 on the way back to work today off the Ft Mill exit, drove a mile or so (right past the Arrowwood Exit), passed a cop on the side of the road giving someone a ticket. Did not think nothing of it.

Shortly after he pulls up behind me, flags me over and writes me a ticket for the following..

"Operate a motor vehicle on a street or highway (and failing to move vehicle into a lane that is not the lane nearest to the parked or standing authorized emergency vehicle and continue traveling in that lane until safely clear of the authorized emergency vehicle) when an authorized emergency vehicle is parked or standing within 12 feet of a roadway and is giving a warning signal by appropriate light (G.S 20-157(F))"

Freaking 250 dollar ticket, 120 court costs! So I now have to appear in court and take like a 4 hour class so it will not go on my insurance.

I have not received a driving violation ticket in forever...pisses me off. I could at least receieved a warning, heck I did not even know I was required my law to move over.

Anyway just be aware of this so you can avoid the same.
Yep! I am aware. Looks like you were wrong and will have to bite the dust on this one. Generally seeing everyone else move over a lane when a cop is on the right is a good indication that others should possibly follow. Just think how much that money will help the city. You could possibly be paying room an board for some poor criminal that was inconvenienced by being held in custody for a few hours or possible over night after commiting a burglary or mugging?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:45 PM

Well what was ironic is like a few dozen cars passed us in the far right lane as he sat in the car and gave me the ticket...

Well now I know I guess. How much will it cost me out of pocket you think? If I go to court and take the 4 hour video class?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:49 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,076,765 times
What happens if the lane next to you is occupied?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,359,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
Do Police not give warnings anymore?

Heck I rarely read the paper..
Not on this offense - we've had too many law enforcement/medical rescue personnel injured by folks in that outside lane. This has been a law now for over a year and was also discussed in tv ads - sorry you missed them, but live and learn!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:51 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,359,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
What happens if the lane next to you is occupied?
You immediately reduce your speed to let that person on your left get by and then quickly move over. Also, drivers in that lane are supposed to let you merge when they see emergency lights up ahead or they could be ticketed too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina