Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 01:20 PM

54 posts, read 243,553 times

Advertisements

The wide subway network in NY helped me a lot live without having to buy a car at least in my first three months there. what cities in NC have subways? I heared about the trolley in charlotte and about buses also.

this would help me decide about where to stay in NC..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 01:42 PM

957 posts, read 2,610,719 times
There are buses in the major cities, but no subways. Southerners aren't big on public transportation. Here in Asheville, they just did three months of free bus rides to boost ridership. It worked while it was free, but now that it's not, ridership is back where it was.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:26 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,388,665 times
Subways in NC? Only in my dreams.

There's buses. That's pretty much it. The Triangle also has an inter-city bus, that links the different cities in the region.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:47 PM

54 posts, read 243,553 times
do you think it will be a wise decision to depend on buses at the begining? I don't think I can afford buying a car at least before finding a full-time job.

my experience with buses in NY was awful. the gab between a bus and another was like 1/2 to 3/4 an hour as far as I remember; if you miss the bus you will certainly miss your appointment. That's why I am looking for a city with subway lines

Old 12-21-2006, 04:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,322,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaa1982 View Post
The wide subway network in NY helped me a lot live without having to buy a car at least in my first three months there. what cities in NC have subways? I heared about the trolley in charlotte and about buses also.

HAHAHAHAHAHA - oops sorry, couldn't help myself NO states in the south have subways honey. About the only city south of the Mason Dixon line with mass transportation like you are talking about is Atlanta. We do however have a nice city bus system

Old 12-21-2006, 04:52 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,322,300 times
Quote:
do you think it will be a wise decision to depend on buses at the begining? I don't think I can afford buying a car at least before finding a full-time job.

my experience with buses in NY was awful. the gab between a bus and another was like 1/2 to 3/4 an hour as far as I remember; if you miss the bus you will certainly miss your appointment. That's why I am looking for a city with subway lines

Oh, and they are pretty efficient and run right on time.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:29 PM

823 posts, read 3,910,859 times
Your reply got me curious. Evidently Miami has a rail system, http://www.co.miami-dade.fl.us/transit/metrorail.asp.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:32 PM

823 posts, read 3,910,859 times
Here's a world map of rail systems, http://www.urbanrail.net/am/america.htm.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:01 PM

233 posts, read 904,195 times
Post City Transit Comparison

Quote:

Well, I grew up taking public transportation in NYC and it is probably the best in the US.

Atlanta's transit is fine considering you can take the bus to the train and vice versa. The system is called MARTA.

Charlotte's transit is not so sophisticated yet. Charlotte is where Atlanta probably was before the Olympics in 1996. If you must move to Charlotte, I would suggest finding somewhere to live directly on the bus line. However, areas on the busline aren't the best. The system here is called CATS.

Keep in mind that there aren't any sidewalks in some areas.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:05 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,388,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
Your reply got me curious. Evidently Miami has a rail system,
Heh....since when was Miami the south?
--

Anyways, back to the poster's questions....yeah in most of the South you either need to:
A) Have a car,
B) Live and work decently close to bus lines in a city/metropolitan area with good bus service (some are better than others), and/or
C) Live and work deep in the city urban core where walking and bicycling everywhere is doable.

The vast majority in NC are A....most of our big cities though have a notable number in B. C is kinda rare.....more likely used in combo with the others. (For example, I have a car but often do bicycle or walk some places when I can.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: