U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 01:43 AM

13 posts, read 37,182 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating to NC. We live in the North Bay of CA just about 30 miles North of San Fransico. While we love the weather here being so close to the beach we can not afford to live here any longer and are tied of working ourselves to the bone just to get buy. The cost of living is so high that we pay $1100/mth for rent in a house that is going to be demolished in about year to make way for more homes starting in the $600,000+ range. The average house rent for a two bedroom is $1400/mth. The people are ME driven and don't care about each other. I was raised in the Valley of Ca Modesto to be exact and absolutely hated it there with the crime, weather and traffic. We are looking for midsize town near the coast with decent schools for our 9 year old daughter. My husband is a Truck Driver and I work from home. Can anyone give my an idea as to what area would be best for us. I have researched areas such as Jacksonville NC area and would love some opinion's on living in that area. Thanks for taking your time to read.

Molly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2006, 08:04 AM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,775,691 times
Default truck driver

NC has a lot of logistics and trucking companies. Charlotte and Greensboro/Winston-Salem have some that I know of.

I see advertisements all the time in the Greensboro area for drivers - it looks like there is a lot of demand for those jobs around here. Due to the convergence of highways in Greensboro and a new Fed Ex hub that is being built, this area is becoming a transportation hub. Charlotte has a lot of industry and also should have opportunities. Keep in mind that the GSO/W-S area has less expensive real estate - for $1,100 per month, you can OWN a decent house instead of renting like you are doing in CA.

Although Raleigh/Durham is a business center, I don't recall seeing many transportation companies based there.

Old 05-07-2006, 04:06 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,238,565 times
I agree with JAS plus Fed X is building a hub in Greensboro. Great people to work for.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:17 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,667,606 times
I lived in Jacksonville for about 2 years while I was in the military. What do you want to know about the city? It is a military town since Camp Lejeune is basically in Jacksonville.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,117 times
We are also looking into area's in and around N/C, and are currently interested in learning more about the New Bern N/C area, and what it has to offer 2 young Empty Nesters in their early to mid 40's. Especially when it comes to work. The apeal was that this town was situated around water, and their weather is warmer than here in Winchester VA. We were interested in their Gated Waterfront Community of Fairfield Harbour, which offers waterfront homes at an affordable price. Not to many waterfront areas in America still at these lower prices. Now for the lady with this post, if you don't need to be located near the water, then you more than likely can pay cash for your home here in New Bern. I am yet to visit, but they tell me it is unspoilt and pretty, with wonderful hospitable people living there. I'm sure others can confirm this, so take a look for yourself. Now we enjoyed Jacksonville in Florida.

Last edited by aussie; 05-07-2006 at 05:22 PM..

Old 05-07-2006, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,117 times
Default New Bern area, what's it like to live there?

[quote=aussie]We are also looking into area's in and around N/C, and are currently interested in learning more about the New Bern N/C area, and what it has to offer 2 young Empty Nesters in their early to mid 40's. Especially when it comes to work. The apeal was that this town was situated around water, and their weather is warmer than here in Winchester VA. We were interested in their Gated Waterfront Community of Fairfield Harbour, which offers waterfront homes at an affordable price. Not to many waterfront areas in America still at these lower prices. Now for the lady with this post, if you don't need to be located near the water, then you more than likely can pay cash for your home here in New Bern. I am yet to visit, but they tell me it is unspoilt and pretty, with wonderful hospitable people living there. I'm sure others can confirm this, so take a look for yourself. Now we enjoyed Jacksonville in Florida.

Old 05-07-2006, 06:49 PM

13 posts, read 37,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native
I lived in Jacksonville for about 2 years while I was in the military. What do you want to know about the city? It is a military town since Camp Lejeune is basically in Jacksonville.

Just the basics like crime which is a big thing for me being from Modesto Ca and living so close to Oakland Ca where the gangs run the towns. I am reasonable I know there is crime everywhere but I would like to be able to walk down my street in the middle of the day and feel somewhat comfortable being alone when my husband is on the road. Thanks for the response.

Old 05-07-2006, 08:47 PM

1,877 posts, read 6,902,067 times
Hey we used to live in Marin County so I feel your pain. We now live in Southern CA and are moving to NC around Oct. Cary has one of the lowest crime rates in the country plus great schools. But it is also a drive to the coast.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:12 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,667,606 times
I lived on base but ofcourse went into town (Jacksonville) almost everyday I had a chance. I was there 2003-2005. There are alot of people from out-of-state ofcourse because it is a military town. It has a mall. Not a very big mall. A new movie theatre. About every shop and store you would need is in Jacksonville. The traffic around Jacksonville can be terrible between 430 and 6 in the pm when people start to get out of work off the base. That is Hwy 17. But after I left they completed a new Hwy 17 bypass so hopefully that took care of the traffic. The city is a old city. Oddly enough it has lots of new shops and stores, but plenty of barbershops, tattoo parlors and ofcourse bars. I cant comment on the schools though. I remember the summers being brutal as far as the heat and humidity. Crime, well I dont ever recall thinking it was a high crime city. Mostly its military and the last thing they want is trouble with the law. Once you pass out of the city limits everything drops off dramatically as far as homes and stores. To the south, about 45 minutes is Wilmington and Wrightsville beach. Very nice place. To the east is the ocean, north and west is dotted with small towns. This area, save for the beachfront property is generally poor though. Major tobacco and cotton farming as well.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:47 PM

104 posts, read 542,268 times
You said a midsize 'town', can you define a little more what you call a midsize town. Our definitions may not be the same since you are from another area. There really aren't any 'midsize towns' as you get near the coast with the exception of Wilmington. I believe the others would probably fall into what you might define as 'small town'. Greenville might be something you'd want to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or