Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 07:43 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times

Advertisements

Hi, my Wife and I are prepping to move in June of this year or December of this year. All depends on when we can end our lease.

Torn between Winston-Salem and Charlotte

Our biggest draw to WS is there seems to be more rents in our budget, more opitions for higher education, and can afford being in an area with good schools.

We do believe there would be more to do in Charlotte and for our child. With WS it's not a far trip to Charlotte can make a weekend bday trip out of it.

As far as jobs Wife wouldn't have an issue finding work in NC. For my specialty there is jobs spread out in NC. Charlotte has the most and researching pay averages around $18 an hour where in WS be around $12-$14 an hour.

Now also consider Raleigh area but feel with our income and our ideal budget would be too hard to swing.

Would try to find a 2bed/1bath place $1300 or less.

Seeking insight on these 3 Cities???

Think WS would be a smart choice to move to?

We took Greensboro off consideration because have a friend who is moving to the Kernersville area says rents/housing market has skyrocketed in Greensboro. This is there opinion but is WS safer than Greensboro?

Last edited by RunD1987; 02-23-2020 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 08:24 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Another option would be Concord or Mocksville. Concord is close to Charlotte with more affordable rents. Mocksville is close to Winston Salem with affordable rents. Also, you could simply split the difference and move to Salisbury (which is 40 minutes from Winston Salem and Charlotte). Lastly, if you're ok with living close to an area of town with "issues", your budget can get you a place in Charlotte or Winston Salem.

I recently sold a townhouse in Charlotte that's located within a gated community with rents in your price range. However, my former townhouse was next door to a Charlotte Housing Authority property. It didn't bother me at all, and I often shot basketball at that housing authority property. Some folks have issues with being close to "the hood". In my opinion, being close to a relatively safe "hood" is the trick to affordability and great investments.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Another option would be Concord or Mocksville. Concord is close to Charlotte with more affordable rents. Mocksville is close to Winston Salem with affordable rents. Also, you could simply split the difference and move to Salisbury (which is 40 minutes from Winston Salem and Charlotte). Lastly, if you're ok with living close to an area of town with "issues", your budget can get you a place in Charlotte or Winston Salem.

I recently sold a townhouse in Charlotte that's located within a gated community with rents in your price range. However, my former townhouse was next door to a Charlotte Housing Authority property. It didn't bother me at all, and I often shot basketball at that housing authority property. Some folks have issues with being close to "the hood". In my opinion, being close to a relatively safe "hood" is the trick to affordability and great investments.
That is true

Haven't explored rents in Charlotte

Did find 30 in WS area more than the Raleigh area

Will check out those 3 towns you mentioned. Any thoughts about Matthews, Harrisburg, Weddington, or Midland?

Last edited by RunD1987; 02-23-2020 at 09:08 AM..

Old 02-23-2020, 09:32 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, my Wife and I are prepping to move in June of this year or December of this year.
All depends on when we can end our lease.
Nope. It just seems that way.
It all depends on your ability to get jobs somewhere (anywhere).
Getting at least one solid job is what will determine the "where to live" question.

Quote:
Torn between Winston-Salem and Charlotte
Our biggest draw to WS is there seems to be more rents in our budget...
Home prices tend to reflect wage rates.
This is why the same POS little cottage you can't get $50,000 for in Podunk...
will have bidding wars and then sell at over $400,000 in Silicon Valley.

Charlotte and Raleigh both have higher median wage rates than Winston, etc.
The lesson is to drill down deeper into the budget to what the WEEKLY net income totals.
How many of those weeklies are you willing to spend covering the monthlies? 1? 2? more?

Quote:
As far as jobs Wife wouldn't have an issue finding work in NC.
If that is actually true then wife should pack a suitcase and come visit. And do so real soon.
Well, one of you should.

Live in an extended stay or even cheaper share sitch and get hired somewhere that week.
If it can really work out as you hope... she can rent a small place with that local job.
If not, then she can take her bag and try it again in the next town on the list.

Quote:
For my specialty there is jobs spread out in NC.
Then you and your specialty and whatever you own... can come later.

Quote:
...averages around $18 an hour where in WS be around $12-$14 an hour.
That's not really what I'd call any sort of 'specialty' job wage rate.

Last edited by MrRational; 02-23-2020 at 09:42 AM..

Old 02-23-2020, 10:04 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's not really what I'd call any sort of 'specialty' job wage rate.
There are "specialties" below the $20/hr mark just as there are specialties above $100/hr. It just all depends on where we are financially. However, the $18/hr range would definitely require a second income in the household which our OP has.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:39 AM

Figure we will apply to jobs in these towns/cities

Raleigh area
Greensboro
Charlotte/Charlotte Suburbs
Winston Salem
Salisbury
Mebane/Hillsborough/Durham

Then depending where we land a job go from there

Old 02-24-2020, 10:14 AM

511 posts, read 510,792 times
If you think the rent/housing market has skyrocketed in Greensboro then you can go ahead and scratch Raleigh and Charlotte off your list too.

Old 02-24-2020, 01:14 PM

193 posts, read 158,704 times
Greensboro isnt that great I think WS would be the best choice , if you could afford Raleigh that could be a good option too.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:53 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstriker View Post
Greensboro isnt that great I think WS would be the best choice , if you could afford Raleigh that could be a good option too.
Interesting. What do you see as the major differences/advantages of W-S over G'boro?

Old 02-24-2020, 04:05 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
I haven't rented in a long time, but I'd suspect that you should be able to find a 2/1 rental for $1300 or less across the state. Will you live in the newest rentals, or in the trendy & rapidly growing urban areas of some cities? No, but you should be able to make those numbers work wherever you find employment. I'd cast my net wider across the state and see what you can find for employment, and then consider the other attributes of a city/metro in support of life for your family. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina