Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 06:05 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Now restaurants and bars are closed. Take out is still available.
NY might pull a stay-home (or whatever they’re calling it) like the Bay Area.

I expect DC to follow. And I expect NC to lag whatever we do by 2-3 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 06:10 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,889 times
Dan Forrest is not amused:

"Earlier today Governor Cooper announced, via a press release, that all North Carolina restaurants and bars must close in-restaurant seating by 5pm this evening. His mandate will devastate our economy, shutter many small businesses, and leave many people unemployed, especially in the rural areas of our state where food supply is already critical.

After the press release, and shortly before a scheduled press conference, I, along with other Council of State members, was asked to concur with the Governor’s decision with no discussion. The Governor held his press conference and made the announcement even after a majority of the Council of State voted not to concur with the Governor. Thus, he does not have the authority to issue this part of his executive order.

While I understand that all actions in a time of crisis are very difficult decisions and have many consequences, some decisions are so serious they require, by law, discussion with, and approval of, other state leaders."

https://ltgov.nc.gov/news/2020/03/17...restaurant-ban

Can you tell its an election year, lol.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:39 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
So sad that the people that are the problem are really so clueless.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:40 PM

84 posts, read 60,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Dan Forrest is not amused:

"Earlier today Governor Cooper announced, via a press release, that all North Carolina restaurants and bars must close in-restaurant seating by 5pm this evening. His mandate will devastate our economy, shutter many small businesses, and leave many people unemployed, especially in the rural areas of our state where food supply is already critical.

After the press release, and shortly before a scheduled press conference, I, along with other Council of State members, was asked to concur with the Governor’s decision with no discussion. The Governor held his press conference and made the announcement even after a majority of the Council of State voted not to concur with the Governor. Thus, he does not have the authority to issue this part of his executive order.

While I understand that all actions in a time of crisis are very difficult decisions and have many consequences, some decisions are so serious they require, by law, discussion with, and approval of, other state leaders."

https://ltgov.nc.gov/news/2020/03/17...restaurant-ban

Can you tell its an election year, lol.
This is going to be VERY interesting. Regardless of what your opinion is, it does look like Forest has the legal ground. Wonder if he will move to challenge it. This is such a tough decision in my opinion. Obviously the right move for curbing the virus, but it will costs 10s of thousands of NC families a lot. People keep comparing it to a natural disaster, but hurricanes for example only hit regions, this is happening literally everywhere. Even big companies can't sustain putting off payments like that for an extended period of time at this scale.

Certainly is a political move too though, someone is trying to grab that food service vote haha. I was waiting for this to happen, the more they restrict the more people will start to resist.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:20 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Not sure what the power's the Emergency declaration allow's the Governor to do.

Forrest may not have a leg to stand on.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:14 PM

84 posts, read 60,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Not sure what the power's the Emergency declaration allow's the Governor to do.

Forrest may not have a leg to stand on.
Well the article I linked to quotes from NC law that under an emergency declaration the governor can take an action like this, but only with the approval of the council of the state. Unless the article is misleading, which its WRAL so I don't think so, I don't really see Cooper's argument, his people literally just cut the parts about the council of state out of their statements.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:39 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,206 times
Around here, large publicly held restaurant chains closed abruptly during the governors speech Monday, I used to work for Jack in the Box 16 years ago, they were hoping for the announcement to close their dining rooms and cut staffing during declining sales. They needed the governors declaration to give them cover with their stock holders.

Home Depot emailed me within the last half our announcing that effective tomorrow they will be closing at 6PM.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:25 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
The coronavirus has caused a 70% passenger drop at Piedmont Triad International Airport. Just another sign as how this virus is affecting the economy

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne..._news_headline

Old 03-21-2020, 06:52 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The coronavirus has caused a 70% passenger drop at Piedmont Triad International Airport. Just another sign as how this virus is affecting the economy

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne..._news_headline
Wow, that's a huge drop off (more than I heard regarding other travel related industries in the last few days) but not surprising at all when you think of the number of businesses/agencies that have told their employees not to travel at all and then the people with discretionary/leisure travel who have decided it's not worth it.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:18 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Wow, that's a huge drop off (more than I heard regarding other travel related industries in the last few days) but not surprising at all when you think of the number of businesses/agencies that have told their employees not to travel at all and then the people with discretionary/leisure travel who have decided it's not worth it.
Yes those are bad numbers especially considering that PTI is not as busy as RDU or Charlotte/Douglas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina