U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2006, 01:10 PM

Location: I temporarily live on Earth until my owners bring me back to Nephlon 12
8 posts, read 48,534 times

Advertisements

I'm self employed and work from home (I had my cardboarde box wired for ethernet). I've been focussing a lot of my search on the Raleigh area, but I'm still not totally convinced it's best for me.

The main two things in location that I'm looking for are

1. Low cost
2. Has a fun type of community (ie: non-professional, but not necessarily college town either).

Raleigh seems like it may have a little nightlife, but I think more of a beach type town would be more to my liking.

Are there any single family homes that I can get for under $1200 a month near a beach type of town?

Please help steer me!

Last edited by Homeless Bum; 05-07-2006 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2006, 03:55 PM

30 posts, read 159,082 times
Same here virtual, that is why we are looking at the mountains around Asheville. One consideration is high-speed Internet capabilities. If it weren't for hurricanes and all other types of disasters, the shore would also be nice but I think the mountains are safer, cheaper and personally like seasons.

Old 05-07-2006, 07:44 PM

787 posts, read 3,323,396 times
Greenville, NC is nearer the coast than Raleigh. About an 1 1/2 hour drive to the coast. Or even closer if you stop in the Pamlico Sound region. You might have to evacuate during a hurricane if it were a Cat. 4 or 5. I stayed home for Fran in 1996 and I think she was a about a Cat. 3 and I live near Greenville. So by the time it got here, it was toned down some but not enough that I would stay for another one. And Greenville has a lot of employment possibilites in the medical field in particular. There is a college and Medical school there. And lots of doctor's offices and a fine hospital. And there is a fair amount of construction going on as well. Good luck where ever you land.

Old 05-07-2006, 08:13 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,356,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Bum
I'm self employed and work from home (I had my cardboarde box wired for ethernet). I've been focussing a lot of my search on the Raleigh area, but I'm still not totally convinced it's best for me.

The main two things in location that I'm looking for are

1. Low cost
2. Has a fun type of community (ie: non-professional, but not necessarily college town either).

Raleigh seems like it may have a little nightlife, but I think more of a beach type town would be more to my liking.

Are there any single family homes that I can get for under $1200 a month near a beach type of town?

Please help steer me!
Okay Homeless Bum...I might take some flack for what I am about to suggest but according to what's on your wish list...have you given any thought to Myrtle Beach, SC? If it happens to perk your interest at all...you might take a look at Myrtle Beach [moderator CUT] . Good luck with your search and hope your time here on Earth is an enjoyable one!

Last edited by Marka; 05-07-2006 at 11:37 PM..

Old 05-07-2006, 11:06 PM

104 posts, read 542,381 times
You have to be realistic in what you are looking for. That is the key. Everyone who moves here thinks they are either going to 'fall into' a give away deal on beach front property or lake front property. Some are even willing to take some 'cheap' lake view 'just as long as they can see the lake'. Well, if it were that easy, we natives would all live on the lake and beach. It's not cheap. Honestly, I'd be surprised if you could rent a decent single family for that. I know you wouldn't touch anything near the lake here, and I don't think you will on the coast. Looking back over your post I don't believe you indicated whether you were asking about rentals or purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina