U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 10:32 AM

1,765 posts, read 1,460,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrballar View Post
Yeah, was just looking at Salisbury and the commute between both locations looks a little easier. I've read plenty of horror stories about the I-77 commutes.

How is the community in Salisbury?
Here are some good threads:
Please tell me about Salisbury and surrounding areas.

Salisbury move

https://www.city-data.com/forum/char...salisbury.html

Salisbury has some beautiful architecture in the downtown. It is slowly been revitalizing and attracting restaurants back. The city's economy in the late 1800's and early 1900's thrived off the old textile industry and many of the old mansions were owned by prominent business owners. Over time that industry moved overseas so Salisbury has been rebuilding in the new economy, but the architecture remains.

Downtown Statesville has done a good job investing in parks and street improvements to revitalize their downtown area as well though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 11:29 AM

706 posts, read 398,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrballar View Post
Hello All,

My wife and I are relocating to NC and I'm taking a job in Davidson. My wife is job hunting and has a possible opportunity on the table in Winston-Salem (west side of the city).

We are looking to buy a house somewhere in the middle and I'm trying to get a sense for the commute times. Statesville seems like an attractive location and the commute (from first glance) looks to be around 30-35 minutes to Davidson and 40-45 to Winston-Salem. Ideally, we'd buy on the east side of Statesville. Are these commute times correct?

We live in upstate New York currently and my commute is around 30 minutes (20-25 miles currently) and my wife has worked jobs in the past with a 40-50 minute commute (35-40 miles). I've worked jobs with a one-way commute of 75-80 minutes, though I'd never want to do that again. I've read plenty of postings where people dread a commute over 20 minutes, but we're both fairly used to it at this point.

Ultimately, we'd love a balanced commute for both of us in an area with affordable housing and options for a little bit of land. The outskirts of Statesville look like a reasonable option?

Thanks in advance!
Salisbury and Statesville are the main cities to look at for your situation. Presently, they're roughly the same size with generally the same amenities, but Salisbury has more long-term potential, so I would lean towards it. The city is building a nice park in downtown, and has a few private redevelopment efforts going on in addition to that. There is also a nice Amtrak station in downtown (which will hopefully also function as a commuter rail to Charlotte in the future).

Commuting to W-S will be roughly the same from either city via I-40 from Statesville or I-85/I-285 from Salisbury. Driving to Davidson is a little bit more of a wild card. From Statesville, I-77 can be brutal around Lake Norman, but tolled express lanes were recently added which will hopefully alleviate some of the congestion. From Salisbury, you'll be using state highways (likely NC 150 and NC 115) or back roads. There generally isn't as much movement from one ring city to another, such as Salisbury and Davidson, as there is between one of the ring cities and Charlotte. But that doesn't mean there won't be traffic.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:11 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,047,048 times
Davidson sits at the far north end of I-77 traffic issues. I don't think you'd have problems on a regular basis...most of the issues are further south between Huntersville and Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina