Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 24,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
My husband & I are currently live in S. Florida with our two children & two dogs. But we are sick and tired of the hurricanes. Plus the cost of our house tripled since purchasing it. If we sold it. we could invest in a bigger house & better quality of living.

We have heard great things about N. Carolina. I see that this forum has a lot of activity (which I like). Please tell me what areas we should look into? Our kids are young (7 and 17 months). We are looking for good schools, family friendly communities, lots of recreation, and close proximity to a larger city.

Our price range is 130's-180's. We don't mind transplants (heck most of S. Florida is a mini New York!). So we are open to a variety of communities. As long as the kids can live a good quality life, we are happy.

Thanks so much!
mom2justynsarah
For your price range you would have to go into the charlotte area or another big city, I live in Boone, in the mountains and you can hardly get a small 2 bedroom for the price range here, its ridiculous up here, plus you have state taxes and they tax you to death here, the cost of living is sooooo much higher here than anywhere I have lived.Texas is your best bet, SA area is the best for higher income, lower housing, so is anywhere outside of Houston, Texas os by far your best best bet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 05:58 PM
mom

9 posts, read 53,682 times
We decided to relocate with our 2 kids - same ages as yours to the Asheville
area. There are many smaller towns around Asheville that are still affordable.
Check into Hendersonville, Arden, Weaverville.
We are moving in January- tired of Sarasota.
www.greatschools.net is an awesome tool for info on schools.
Best of Luck to you

Old 11-03-2006, 05:46 AM

191 posts, read 1,002,086 times
Default Concord area

I heard the Concord area was a good area to raise kids and the schools were were good also. Is this true folks?

Old 11-03-2006, 06:04 AM

127 posts, read 600,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
The Greensboro area and Guilford County is nice. Pleasant Garden (love that town), Oak Ridge, Summerfield, Level Cross, etc. - all nice small towns near Greensboro that you could find a good home and raise your family.
You wont find too much in the Oak Ridge /Summerfield area in the 130-180K range. For 200K and up you have a good chance of finding something nice if you're not looking for a brand new box-in-a-box cookie cutter house.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:23 AM

28 posts, read 121,153 times
I live in Murphy,NC which is the in the very most western tip of the state, in the mountains.We're about 2 hours from Asheville,Atlanta,Chattanooga and Knoxville. This is a wonderful community, beautiful surroundings and friendly people. You can get a nice home for about 180K, there are still a few around 150, but they usually need some work. I have worked in real estate here for a few years and the "give-aways" are definitely gone, but the prices are still fairly reasonable, especially compared to other places. The schools here are great and a lot of times, are grades PK - 8, which I thought was really nice when we moved here.

Hope this helps! If you have any further questions, I'm happy to help!
Marian

Old 11-09-2006, 11:43 AM

548 posts, read 2,647,963 times
Chapel Hill! Very progressive, and great schools. It's more expensive than some other areas, but not crazy expensive. We just moved to Chapel Hill recently and LOVE it!!

Old 11-09-2006, 12:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
Chapel Hill! Very progressive, and great schools. It's more expensive than some other areas, but not crazy expensive. We just moved to Chapel Hill recently and LOVE it!!
"Expensive" is a relative term The poster is looking to spend from $130 to $180,000. Chapel Hill hasn't seen those prices in ten years!

Old 11-09-2006, 04:05 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times
I live in Concord and love it. There are homes in all price ranges, it's safe, the schools are great, and we're close to Charlotte and all to all it has to offer. Don't plan on ever leaving!

Old 11-09-2006, 04:24 PM

223 posts, read 1,065,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishsharleyd View Post
We also are relocating to NC from OHIO. And I need any info anyone can give me on a place to live and raise a 9 and 13 yr old. My husband will be working in Fayetteville and is willing to drive 40 mins or so. We came down there this past weekend and couldnt even find a nice rental house in a good school district. Please help!! Trish from Ohio.
Sanford (Lee County) is a 30 minute drive to Fayetteville. I'm very familiar with central n.c. towns, have lived here for nearly 20 years and have school age kids, and am NOT a realtor. If you send me a p.m., I can give you more info.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:27 PM
PTK

45 posts, read 153,311 times
My family and I are relocating Around Charlotte or Winston Salem, in May. We live on Long Island now
I can not wait
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina