U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 8,649 times

Advertisements

You will love it up here. I'am from West Palm .Built a log home back in 82 and came twice a year with the family. Now I live here full time In a small town out side of Asheville called Old Fort, and own a campground . I like the slower pace. Not a whole lot of money in what I do, but I meet alot of interesting people.It's cheeper to live here, In the county we are in. It's McDowell the taxes are lower than Asheville and it's only 20 miles away form our exit of 73 off the I-40 east. Better have a job or online business there are none here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,792 times
I'm a young single mother with two boys ages 8 and 12 my youngest child is special needs so I need a Great school for him to attend as well as my 12 year old. I'm moving from Ohio to NC in June and I'm trying to find a nice rental house in a nice area for me and my boys. We are Christians so I would love any input about A Great church in NC and also I plan on going back to school when I get there Thanks very much!

Old 02-14-2011, 09:06 AM

3,934 posts, read 7,521,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekajd View Post
I'm a young single mother with two boys ages 8 and 12 my youngest child is special needs so I need a Great school for him to attend as well as my 12 year old. I'm moving from Ohio to NC in June and I'm trying to find a nice rental house in a nice area for me and my boys. We are Christians so I would love any input about A Great church in NC and also I plan on going back to school when I get there Thanks very much!
Do you know what area? What school (for you)? What job? Once you know those, people can tell you more about schools and neighborhoods. There are lots of good family areas with decent schools, and there are lots of churches!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:35 PM

10 posts, read 18,056 times
Im originally from NY but have been a country girl at heart, so I moved to sw virginia. I've been here 8 years, raised three kids and there off to college. I have a nine year old daughter and want to move to NC. I live in the country, I have 2 horses, goats, 6 dogs, and 5 out door cats tat we adopted, as we did most of our dogs because the animal cruelty laws in the state of VA are digusting. The schools are horrible, anyone can be a teacher here, I was offered a job teahing 8th grade math and I have no teaching skills (??) The people here do not like northerners, even after 8 years they're none to be desired. We want OUT. we are looking for country, nice farms but not in the stix, I want my daughter to have neighbors with children, nearby enough on foot. I DEFINITELY want northerners, no offense to anyone please, I tried, I love everyone and could care less where your from. I do believe a parent has a lot to do with a child receiving a great education, but I'd be lieing if i didnt say I spent most of my years on top of the schools when teachers were not doing their jobs. So please, can anyone recommend a nice place in NC, not too close to the shore, and not too close to the mountains. Country living, but I want northerners, good schools, but not over crowed and bused out to different areas. I know! I'm asking for a miracle

Old 06-21-2011, 07:17 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,534,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catbklyn66 View Post
Im originally from NY but have been a country girl at heart, so I moved to sw virginia. I've been here 8 years, raised three kids and there off to college. I have a nine year old daughter and want to move to NC. I live in the country, I have 2 horses, goats, 6 dogs, and 5 out door cats tat we adopted, as we did most of our dogs because the animal cruelty laws in the state of VA are digusting. The schools are horrible, anyone can be a teacher here, I was offered a job teahing 8th grade math and I have no teaching skills (??) The people here do not like northerners, even after 8 years they're none to be desired. We want OUT. we are looking for country, nice farms but not in the stix, I want my daughter to have neighbors with children, nearby enough on foot. I DEFINITELY want northerners, no offense to anyone please, I tried, I love everyone and could care less where your from. I do believe a parent has a lot to do with a child receiving a great education, but I'd be lieing if i didnt say I spent most of my years on top of the schools when teachers were not doing their jobs. So please, can anyone recommend a nice place in NC, not too close to the shore, and not too close to the mountains. Country living, but I want northerners, good schools, but not over crowed and bused out to different areas. I know! I'm asking for a miracle

My prediction? You will not be any happier in NC than you are in Virginia

If you want to live among your own kind you'll need to look to live in the Charlotte metro or Raleigh metro.

Rural NC, like rural Virginia, is still southern (thank God).

I would suggest you move back toward the Mason Dixon line. Actually, Maryland would probably be exactly what you are looking for.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:19 PM

87 posts, read 316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
My husband & I are currently live in S. Florida with our two children & two dogs. But we are sick and tired of the hurricanes. Plus the cost of our house tripled since purchasing it. If we sold it. we could invest in a bigger house & better quality of living.

We have heard great things about N. Carolina. I see that this forum has a lot of activity (which I like). Please tell me what areas we should look into? Our kids are young (7 and 17 months). We are looking for good schools, family friendly communities, lots of recreation, and close proximity to a larger city.

Our price range is 130's-180's. We don't mind transplants (heck most of S. Florida is a mini New York!). So we are open to a variety of communities. As long as the kids can live a good quality life, we are happy.

Thanks so much!
mom2justynsarah
1. Winston-Salem, lived there for 5 years during college, great city, very similar to where I reside to now which is Columbus, GA
2. Greensboro, not too far from Winston-Salem, lived in a so called 'Good Area' with my sister for 2 years and the house was robbed clean, car destroyed, and the people never got caught. Also the bank my sister worked at got robbed. As you can see, not the best place to live rather dangerous actually
3. Charlotte- A hot mess of a city, in a good way
4. Raleigh-Durham- Nuff said(horrible)

Old 06-22-2011, 02:24 PM

9 posts, read 20,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer_195 View Post
1. Winston-Salem, lived there for 5 years during college, great city, very similar to where I reside to now which is Columbus, GA
2. Greensboro, not too far from Winston-Salem, lived in a so called 'Good Area' with my sister for 2 years and the house was robbed clean, car destroyed, and the people never got caught. Also the bank my sister worked at got robbed. As you can see, not the best place to live rather dangerous actually
3. Charlotte- A hot mess of a city, in a good way
4. Raleigh-Durham- Nuff said(horrible)
For some reason I find the ish you wrote about Greensboro hard to believe, my aunt lives in High Point and we spend alot of time in Greensboro and we've NEVER had a problem with crime, and I also find it hard to believe that the law enforcement in a city like Greensboro couldnt find who did it, but I might be wrong, I honestly think alot of your posts come right out of your ass and are lies so do us a favor and get off the forum. THANKS!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:57 PM

10 posts, read 18,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My prediction? You will not be any happier in NC than you are in Virginia

If you want to live among your own kind you'll need to look to live in the Charlotte metro or Raleigh metro.

Rural NC, like rural Virginia, is still southern (thank God).

I would suggest you move back toward the Mason Dixon line. Actually, Maryland would probably be exactly what you are looking for.
Thus again more animosity, one who reflects what I have been up against for the past eight years. Yes I am leaving rural Virginia, but its not only because of people like you who are very hateful, but like I mentioned, the schools and other reasons as well. But if it were only the issue of people, trust when I say like every other person who has come down to NC from up North would say "Move over and get used to it" I don't want to move near my own kind because I find them to be better people, you are completely wrong. It is because I am tired of trying make people like you stop saying hateful things like you just did. I am a very peacful person and after awhile you just get tired of trying to convince people that when push comes to shove we are all americans and we need to support one another especially in times like this. Tell me something if this country were at war here on our own land, would you care THEN where anyone is from and were they belong. Ignorance is Bliss !!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:23 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,534,779 times
Quote:
Thus again more animosity, one who reflects what I have been up against for the past eight years. Yes I am leaving rural Virginia, but its not only because of people like you who are very hateful, but like I mentioned, the schools and other reasons as well. But if it were only the issue of people, trust when I say like every other person who has come down to NC from up North would say "Move over and get used to it" I don't want to move near my own kind because I find them to be better people, you are completely wrong. It is because I am tired of trying make people like you stop saying hateful things like you just did. I am a very peacful person and after awhile you just get tired of trying to convince people that when push comes to shove we are all americans and we need to support one another especially in times like this. Tell me something if this country were at war here on our own land, would you care THEN where anyone is from and were they belong. Ignorance is Bliss !!

Good grief

I am NOT being "hateful".

My response to you was polite and factual - if you don't like rural Virginia you WILL NOT like rural NC, they are VERY similar.

And, I really do believe you'd find more of what you seek in northern Maryland. In particular, check out Carroll County Maryland and the area surrounding the lovely town of Westminster.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:30 AM

3,934 posts, read 7,521,862 times
Quote:
I don't want to move near my own kind because I find them to be better people, you are completely wrong. It is because I am tired of trying make people like you stop saying hateful things like you just did. I am a very peacful person and after awhile you just get tired of trying to convince people that when push comes to shove we are all americans and we need to support one another especially in times like this. Tell me something if this country were at war here on our own land, would you care THEN where anyone is from and were they belong. Ignorance is Bliss !!
Either you want to live among northerners, or you don't care where people are from. Both can't be true at the same time.

You will find fewer northerners in Southern rural areas because many people in rural areas live where their families have lived for generations. You will find lots of northerners in Northern rural areas for the same reason. Is there a reason you aren't looking farther north?

Or are you posting just for fun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or