U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM

10 posts, read 18,080 times

Advertisements

Thank you, I greatly appreciate the information and I have heard that Maryland if quite beautiful. however I had mentioned there were many other reasons I was leaving Va. One; my eldest daughter will be done with vet school and wants to work at the Ashboro Zoo. Two; My son will be done at the Acedemy and wants to be a state trooper in NC. Three; I have a disability and the medication I must stay on has taken its toll on my bones and so extreme cold winters are hard on me. There is some beautiful country unstate NY, New Jersey and in PA where I lived for two years, but the cold was unbearable, that is why I went south. Out of the eight years I have been in Va, four of those years we have had winters that have matched the climate of NY, so that is why I chose to go to NC. Maryland's weather would only keep me in the same perdicamant and farther away from my children. Its funny in a way because I truely love the southern manorism here in the south, My boys are always addressing their elders with "Yes Mame, Yes SIr" and I hadnt seen that since I was a child. I also love how the children here are raised with a strong faith and know the good book well. I just wish that my experience with most would have been more embracing and not always guarded. I'm not one to give up, but when you begin to wake up in the morning with anticipation of whats to come that day, and you have children leaving to another place, it gives you the hope of finding a place where maybe with a little mix you can have the warm weather, southern folk that just love to say "Bless your heart" and not like some that stop me in the middle of a sentence just to point out the obvious in my accent with " where you from, you talk funny". and my children rooting themselves permantly not too far from me would make for the perfect "Hang my hat for good" scenario. Many blessings to you "Loves the mountains " and another thing I too love the mountains, I am surrounded by the blue ridge mountains and wake up to them every morning for the past 8 years, and every morning is like the first morning I rested my eyes upon them, simply breath taking, they are a constant renminder of what really matters in life and give me strength. I will miss them. I could easily move to the greensboro area, but I'd be lieing if I said I didnt miss the shore as well, but the damp climate on the shore also takes a toll on my bones. So I was trying to find a place where I could still trail ride in the mountains at a short drive, and go fishing off the shore or in the bay, at a short drive. So you see I am stuck between a rock and a hard place Thank you much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 10:02 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,644,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catbklyn66 View Post
Thank you, I greatly appreciate the information and I have heard that Maryland if quite beautiful. however I had mentioned there were many other reasons I was leaving Va. One; my eldest daughter will be done with vet school and wants to work at the Ashboro Zoo. Two; My son will be done at the Acedemy and wants to be a state trooper in NC. Three; I have a disability and the medication I must stay on has taken its toll on my bones and so extreme cold winters are hard on me. There is some beautiful country unstate NY, New Jersey and in PA where I lived for two years, but the cold was unbearable, that is why I went south. Out of the eight years I have been in Va, four of those years we have had winters that have matched the climate of NY, so that is why I chose to go to NC. Maryland's weather would only keep me in the same perdicamant and farther away from my children. Its funny in a way because I truely love the southern manorism here in the south, My boys are always addressing their elders with "Yes Mame, Yes SIr" and I hadnt seen that since I was a child. I also love how the children here are raised with a strong faith and know the good book well. I just wish that my experience with most would have been more embracing and not always guarded. I'm not one to give up, but when you begin to wake up in the morning with anticipation of whats to come that day, and you have children leaving to another place, it gives you the hope of finding a place where maybe with a little mix you can have the warm weather, southern folk that just love to say "Bless your heart" and not like some that stop me in the middle of a sentence just to point out the obvious in my accent with " where you from, you talk funny". and my children rooting themselves permantly not too far from me would make for the perfect "Hang my hat for good" scenario. Many blessings to you "Loves the mountains " and another thing I too love the mountains, I am surrounded by the blue ridge mountains and wake up to them every morning for the past 8 years, and every morning is like the first morning I rested my eyes upon them, simply breath taking, they are a constant renminder of what really matters in life and give me strength. I will miss them. I could easily move to the greensboro area, but I'd be lieing if I said I didnt miss the shore as well, but the damp climate on the shore also takes a toll on my bones. So I was trying to find a place where I could still trail ride in the mountains at a short drive, and go fishing off the shore or in the bay, at a short drive. So you see I am stuck between a rock and a hard place Thank you much.

Thank you for taking the time to provide more info on your situation, it allows us to better help you

I am sorry you have health problems and cannot tolerate the cold weather further north of Virginia, but I do understand what you mean.

Since your kids are all set on NC for their careers it does make sense that as a good mom you'd want to find your place in NC too. Given all you are looking for (close proximity to the mountains without being in them, horse trails, ect.), I have a few places in mind to suggest.

First of all, look at Clemmons, which is southwest of Winton-Salem. This whole area has seen an influx of those from the northeast in the last 15 years. In addition, it would be an easy ride from there straight north into Virginia and the Blue Ridge Parkway for your mountain fix and horse trails.

I personally really like the areas north/northwest of Winston Salem, though finding more transplants there would be tougher. But do consider taking a look at the rural areas of King and Rural Hall. You could literally be in the mountains in less than 40 minutes or so but would never get the more serious weather that happens at the higher elevations. In addtion, much of that area has a fantastic view of Pilot Mt - it's literally RIGHT THERE So you could still "feel" as though there were mountains close by. Distance back to Winston-Salem for bigger city amenities (like health care) is an easy 20 minutes.

Next I'd say to look at Wilkesboro. Winter weather there too is more managaeable because of its lower elevation, but you could again be in the Blue Ridge mountains in no time at all. There are great riding trails in and around the area from what I have heard, particularly at Stone Mt. State Park south of Sparta. Kerr Scott Lake is also a gem, especially for fishing

Kerr Scott Visitor Guide

N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Stone Mountain State Park

Hope this gives you a few helpful ideas!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:21 AM

Now thats what I call a heart to heart I am very grateful for all the information, I will look into each and every one of your suggestions. Its very difficult to make decisions on relocating when there is so much and so many involved and when you reach a certain age you'd like to think "ahh finally a place where all i hold dear is with me and everyday is peacful and well enjoyed" because in the end to me all that matters is our health, our children, friends, our faith and the love and respect of this beautiful land. God Bless you. Thank you

Old 06-23-2011, 03:46 PM

your absolutely right, both can not be true. I myself find what I said to sound quite hypocritical. But one does not feel welcome by the majority, then you can only try for long before you feel a need to be near people who do not see you as the outsider. So you see, it is not by choice that I am stuck with what seems to be mixed emotions. If you read on forward you will understand why I coud not an can not look into northgern rural areas. I do not post for fun because I dont consider my life and my future a joke. Have a good day

Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,644,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catbklyn66 View Post
Now thats what I call a heart to heart I am very grateful for all the information, I will look into each and every one of your suggestions. Its very difficult to make decisions on relocating when there is so much and so many involved and when you reach a certain age you'd like to think "ahh finally a place where all i hold dear is with me and everyday is peacful and well enjoyed" because in the end to me all that matters is our health, our children, friends, our faith and the love and respect of this beautiful land. God Bless you. Thank you

You are quite welcome. I hope you find the perfect place to move to!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,990 times
my husband is looking to take a position in Fayetteville. We are moving from Ohio to NC. We keep hearing mixed reviews on where to live. Where are the best neighborhoods to raise a family. We are looking in the price range of $250,000 to $400,000. we have a 6 and 3 year old, so schools are important. my husband is also willing to travel, no more than 30 min. thanks!

Old 12-09-2011, 02:33 PM

10,403 posts, read 19,452,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaaree View Post
my husband is looking to take a position in Fayetteville. We are moving from Ohio to NC. We keep hearing mixed reviews on where to live. Where are the best neighborhoods to raise a family. We are looking in the price range of $250,000 to $400,000. we have a 6 and 3 year old, so schools are important. my husband is also willing to travel, no more than 30 min. thanks!
There are lots of current threads in this forum right now about Fayetteville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or