U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2006, 04:04 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,661,800 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are currently live in S. Florida with our two children & two dogs. But we are sick and tired of the hurricanes. Plus the cost of our house tripled since purchasing it. If we sold it. we could invest in a bigger house & better quality of living.

We have heard great things about N. Carolina. I see that this forum has a lot of activity (which I like). Please tell me what areas we should look into? Our kids are young (7 and 17 months). We are looking for good schools, family friendly communities, lots of recreation, and close proximity to a larger city.

Our price range is 130's-180's. We don't mind transplants (heck most of S. Florida is a mini New York!). So we are open to a variety of communities. As long as the kids can live a good quality life, we are happy.

Thanks so much!
mom2justynsarah
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2006, 06:33 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,110,422 times
Your children will live a good quality of life Wake County NC. Mine did and I relocated from Connecticut many years ago. There are so many family oriented communities in this area and the surrounding areas. You can look in Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Fuquay Varina, Wake Forest. I think you would be happy in any of these especially because you don't mind transplants. You will read alot in this forum about alot of northerners moving here. That is true but I haven't met one yet I didn't like. That is not because I'm one either. In Florida I'm sure you see more than they do here. I have sent you a private message with a link to my website. It may be of some help to you to learn more about the area and surrounding areas. It links you all over the place including the school system here. If I can help you with any questions you may have please feel free to contact me. I hope you love it as much as I do.

Best of Luck,

Debbie

Old 05-08-2006, 01:20 AM

1,261 posts, read 3,896,733 times
The Greensboro area and Guilford County is nice. Pleasant Garden (love that town), Oak Ridge, Summerfield, Level Cross, etc. - all nice small towns near Greensboro that you could find a good home and raise your family.

Small towns near Winston-Salem and Charlotte are also nice.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:54 AM

104 posts, read 542,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah
My husband & I are currently live in S. Florida with our two children & two dogs. But we are sick and tired of the hurricanes. Plus the cost of our house tripled since purchasing it. If we sold it. we could invest in a bigger house & better quality of living.

We have heard great things about N. Carolina. I see that this forum has a lot of activity (which I like). Please tell me what areas we should look into? Our kids are young (7 and 17 months). We are looking for good schools, family friendly communities, lots of recreation, and close proximity to a larger city.

Our price range is 130's-180's. We don't mind transplants (heck most of S. Florida is a mini New York!). So we are open to a variety of communities. As long as the kids can live a good quality life, we are happy.

Thanks so much!
mom2justynsarah

First, many people complain about our schools which are bursting at the seams due to the influx from the north and the influx of illegals from the south. So, don't be under the false impression that you are getting away from the illegals. We are the fastest growing state in that area too...unfortunately. So, either accept the schools are bulging and we aren't going to see a lot of relief soon as that would come out of the pockets of current taxpayers and we simply can't afford it. If you can afford private schools, you can expect better schools, otherwise you accept what we can afford. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, but people coming here insist on 'better schools' for their offspring, but they aren't taxpayers so it is an irrational demand.

Honestly, you will get a modest house in a modest neighborhood in the greater Charlotte area fro 130-180. It will be masonite (not brick unless it is very old) and on a small lot...probably .23 etc. So, giving you some peramaters for your expectations is good IMO. I work in real estate and I see people all the time who have heard there are 'give away prices' in NC and it simply isn't true. There further out of the city, you get a little more, but nowhere in the state are the prices as low as the rumor has it. Hope that helps.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:55 AM

104 posts, read 542,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki
The Greensboro area and Guilford County is nice. Pleasant Garden (love that town), Oak Ridge, Summerfield, Level Cross, etc. - all nice small towns near Greensboro that you could find a good home and raise your family.

Small towns near Winston-Salem and Charlotte are also nice.
Yes, but the small towns near Charlotte are pricier than Charlotte.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:15 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,354,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah

Thanks so much!
mom2justynsarah
Since you are looking for suggestions...may I add a few more areas to the mix. These cities are right across the NC state line and all within York county, South Carolina..they are: Fort Mill - Tega Cay (both Fort Mill school district), and Clover. All three cities are within your price range, close proximity to Charlotte, NC and fit your other criterias as well.

Where ever you decide to land...best of luck to you and yours!

Old 05-08-2006, 09:31 AM

110 posts, read 365,565 times
Charlotte Meck schools have been notorious the past few years for overcrowding, particulary in the suburbs. Charlotte wants to build inner-city schools and those arent near full capacity, so Ive heard. Most people with families want to live outside the city, so they flood the suburban schools and then the same people complain about overcrowding.

You can find a nice home here if you have money. The brick homes in the well-to-do neighborhoods in the suburbs are from the 200s and up, depending on location. Newer lake homes range from the 500s and up now. Oh and Mecklenburg county (Charlotte) looks very likely to raise property taxes again soon.

My best advice if you choose the Charlotte area is to be outside Mecklenburg county. The suburbs of Charlotte keep creeping further out and it is already felt counties over like Cabarrus and eastern Lincoln county.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:58 AM

4 posts, read 70,944 times
Cool I Need To Know Also

We also are relocating to NC from OHIO. And I need any info anyone can give me on a place to live and raise a 9 and 13 yr old. My husband will be working in Fayetteville and is willing to drive 40 mins or so. We came down there this past weekend and couldnt even find a nice rental house in a good school district. Please help!! Trish from Ohio.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:35 AM

4 posts, read 76,212 times
Iant to move to the mountains with my wife &2 kids ages are 9&4.Ireally think it will be nice to live in the mountains instead of the city.I have been living in greenville south carolina for 40 years .I think its time for a change.so i want to take my family and live in the mountains some where in north carolina mountains.C an someone help find that nice place to live and a good school for my kids to go to.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:40 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishsharleyd View Post
We also are relocating to NC from OHIO. And I need any info anyone can give me on a place to live and raise a 9 and 13 yr old. My husband will be working in Fayetteville and is willing to drive 40 mins or so. We came down there this past weekend and couldnt even find a nice rental house in a good school district. Please help!! Trish from Ohio.

Trish, look into Fuquay-Varina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or