U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 08:22 PM

7,356 posts, read 17,930,962 times

Advertisements

Looking for affordable mountain town to retire to. We don't want to be in a big city but close to one.
We would like to stick to the western part or maybe central of NC.
Looking to living a simple life. We're not fancy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 03:35 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,116,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Looking for affordable mountain town to retire to. We don't want to be in a big city but close to one.
Please define "big city" and "close"

Old 04-28-2020, 05:36 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,060,392 times
And "affordable". And "simple life".

Old 04-28-2020, 07:10 AM

14,531 posts, read 6,006,724 times
Quote:
You need to look for area's which are not incorporated. Many area's outside of city limits are an option. Once inside city limits, Real Estate taxes are paid for both city and county

If you buy in a new community chances are an HOA exists. The covenant's can be highly restrictive.

Look at land sales and prepare to build. It could take 18 month's to 2 years to get a home built outside of a planned development.

Your other option is modular construction.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:32 AM

11,924 posts, read 21,949,145 times
Why are you considering North Carolina at all? Branson Missouri is much more affordable with a COL Index about 81% of the national average. I compared Waynesville, NC which has a COL index of 86%. Even a small town like Burnsville is more expensive with a COL index off 88.5%. This is from my favorite COL comparison site.

Furthermore, please do a search on "affordable towns" in the Western North Carolinaa Sub-forum. You might also like the area aound Hickory or Morganton which are out of the mountains but close, and much more affordable than Asheville.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-28-2020 at 08:44 AM..

Old 04-28-2020, 09:50 AM

On defining big city and close and simple and affordable....

We don't want to be in a city such as Asheville or Charlotte....also defined as cities with a lot of traffic, tourists but want to be close to one, maybe within 25 miles in case we need something that cities provide like medical care, shopping, etc. Affordable meaning, not overly expensive. Spending something like 300K for a 100K house is overly expensive to me. Some areas seem to be more expensive than others.
Simple meaning, just as it says....fishing, hiking, adventures.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
You need to look for area's which are not incorporated. Many area's outside of city limits are an option. Once inside city limits, Real Estate taxes are paid for both city and county

If you buy in a new community chances are an HOA exists. The covenant's can be highly restrictive.

Look at land sales and prepare to build. It could take 18 month's to 2 years to get a home built outside of a planned development.

Your other option is modular construction.
We are thinking of renting. At our ages, we don't need a million dollar house. Just something modest with 2 bedrooms maybe.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:54 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,060,392 times
Quote:
We are thinking of renting. At our ages, we don't need a million dollar house. Just something modest with 2 bedrooms maybe.
Amount of rent you'd like to pay? What do you consider a "big city"? How far is "close"?

Old 04-28-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Why are you considering North Carolina at all? Branson Missouri is much more affordable with a COL Index about 81% of the national average. I compared Waynesville, NC which has a COL index of 86%. Even a small town like Burnsville is more expensive with a COL index off 88.5%. This is from my favorite COL comparison site.

Furthermore, please do a search on "affordable towns" in the Western North Carolinaa Sub-forum. You might also like the area aound Hickory or Morganton which are out of the mountains but close, and much more affordable than Asheville.
I already know how affordable Branson is but that's not what I was asking. I'm looking into NC, Tenn. and Va. because I want to be in a state that is close to the mountains and beaches. I like Branson but I want something more than a town with a lot of traffic.
I have done a search on towns in W. NC but there are a lot of towns. I was hoping to narrow it down with either places to go to or stay away from. I will check out the towns you mentioned and thank you for that.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:52 AM

597 posts, read 239,567 times
Quote:
I already know how affordable Branson is but that's not what I was asking. I'm looking into NC, Tenn. and Va. because I want to be in a state that is close to the mountains and beaches. I like Branson but I want something more than a town with a lot of traffic.
I have done a search on towns in W. NC but there are a lot of towns. I was hoping to narrow it down with either places to go to or stay away from. I will check out the towns you mentioned and thank you for that.

Not technically mountain towns..... but not far away. Check out these videos of Marion, Hickory, Lenoir, and Burke County (Morganton)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz2X1SrA5dQ&t=55s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHgvZ5UEMvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtcQnr9zwIU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93oVijM_9NI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina