Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 08:55 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,577,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
How's this mandatory mask rule going to work out, when a significant number of people in this state are Trumpists? The Facebook comments section for my local (Wilmington) news is already full of comments like this one:

..." if you believe that there is a virus out there then you are dumb Its the democrats thats the virus"

And this one: "BUT YET RIOTERS CAN DESTROY OUR CITIES AND NOT WEAR A MASK! ROY BOY CAN WALK WITH THE, NOT WEARING A MASK! THIS IS A HOAX OF A LOCKDOWN "
Also, on my Facebook feed, a pharmacist's quote says:

"I wear a mask because if the experts are correct, I could potentially prevent someone from getting sick and dying. If the experts are wrong, the most I'm out is the inconvenience of wearing a piece of fabric on my face. I often wonder who raised some of y'all."

Hmmmm....What a contrast. I wonder which school of thought sounds more credible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 03:23 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,210,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I worry about that too. There is that element just about everywhere. I will say of the Republicans I know, some of them seem to make an issue out of wearing masks, especially if it's coming from a Democrat Governor. But there are those who do wear masks and take other precautions because it's the smart thing to do, and they're not letting a bad political trend rule over them.

New Hanover is a county that would have a fair amount of people like that, but probably still in a minority. There are, however, those counties in the state where that mindset is even more pervasive, so I wonder how this is going to go there. Most of the comments that I've seen on the local TV news feeds, looking just out of curiosity, are coming from the rural counties in those areas, not the urban counties. While there's a lot I like about the rural counties, this kind of mentality is something that is definitely shameful from too many of their residents. And it makes that much harder for the people in those areas who are trying to do the right thing, by protecting themselves and others.

Even though the order explicitly said that law enforcement wouldn't arrest someone for solely not wearing a mask, it does say that if someone refuses, they either can be arrested for trespassing if they continue to refuse and don't leave. There are those activist sheriffs though, who I could see taking it upon themselves to vow not to enforce the part of the order that they're supposed to (i.e. trespassing) because of political posturing to those kinds of constituents. It's really a shame.

A lot of that mentality comes from the so-called "Reopen" movement, which is really based more on "Don't Tread on Me" rhetoric and has to be one of the most useless movements ever created. It hasn't helped anybody.

This started off supposedly as "we need to get this economy reopened, look at all these people who are out of work, going to be in poverty, etc", which is a valid concern. But it's turned into this, so apparently it really wasn't ever about that with some of these people, and it's been that crowd that has tried to make trouble.

Yeah, if Reopen NC was just abut getting people back to work, the thing to do would have been to encourage wearing masks right from the start, and we could have flattened the curve by now, like other countries have done. But Reopen NC is really just a far-right political/conspiracy theory group.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:27 AM

7,186 posts, read 6,769,419 times
The sheriffs of Sampson and Halifax counties are saying they won't enforce the mask requirement...

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...k-requirement/

Old 06-25-2020, 06:11 AM

2,399 posts, read 2,658,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The sheriffs of Sampson and Halifax counties are saying they won't enforce the mask requirement...

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...k-requirement/
“The wearing of a mask is a personal decision, not one of a governor in Raleigh"

Smoking weed, buying a loose cigarette, speeding 10 mph over the speed limit, possession of alcohol in park, jaywalking, et. are all personal decisions too. We should just stop enforcing all minor offenses that are somebody's "personal decision" rather than pick and choose.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:17 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,707,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
“The wearing of a mask is a personal decision, not one of a governor in Raleigh"

Smoking weed, buying a loose cigarette, speeding 10 mph over the speed limit, possession of alcohol in park, jaywalking, et. are all personal decisions too. We should just stop enforcing all minor offenses that are somebody's "personal decision" rather than pick and choose.
This ^

Fire/suspend the sheriffs of Sampson and Halifax counties. They don't get to magically decide or pick and chose things they have to enforce. Law is the law is the law. They're opening themselves up to potential lawsuits for other violations people might receive by not enforcing the mask requirements.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
This ^

Fire/suspend the sheriffs of Sampson and Halifax counties. They don't get to magically decide or pick and chose things they have to enforce. Law is the law is the law. They're opening themselves up to potential lawsuits for other violations people might receive by not enforcing the mask requirements.
I generally agree, although it's next to impossible to fire a sheriff in NC due to having to go through the court system. They don't have to answer to the County Commissioners or to a Mayor or City Administrator like a municipal police chief would.

https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegisla.../Article_2.pdf

It's one thing if they're talking about something that the order doesn't give them the authority to enforce. Per the order and discussion during Governor Cooper's news conference yesterday, law enforcement cannot enforce the order on individual citizens, but if someone is asked to leave a business or property because of not wearing a mask, and they refuse to wear one or leave, law enforcement is charged with arresting them for trespassing. Also, when asked by one of the reporters during yesterday's news conference, Cooper said businesses would be subject to law enforcement action.

Just in general though, that's a disturbing trend, when Sheriffs take on judicial or legislative roles that they have no authority to do by picking and choosing laws they don't like. There's probably always going to be some variation in how strictly certain laws are enforced county to county, but I think as part of the police reform we're talking about there needs to be a law to prevent them from willfully just making things up "their way", especially when they're doing it for political purposes.

Just like a Sheriff can fire all of their deputies, literally for political reasons, and there's little to no recourse on the part of the deputies. While these worst case examples are usually the exception, the structure of sheriffs offices in North Carolina make them much more vulnerable to political corruption, cronyism, personal vendettas, etc., and really call the credibility and professionalism of these office more into question than if they weren't as politically based. In theory, being voted in would make it seem like they'd be more accountable, but there's a lot of pitfalls with this approach, especially when they aren't dealing with an issue appropriately because it doesn't fit the sheriff's and the sheriff's constituents political whims.

And Sampson county, by the way, has one of the highest per capita cumulative rates of COVID-19 in the state.

Last edited by Jowel; 06-25-2020 at 12:29 PM..

Old 06-25-2020, 01:46 PM

597 posts, read 444,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
This ^

No surprise, but the Alamance County Sheriff's Office announced it won't be issuing citations either.

Old 06-25-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
No surprise, but the Alamance County Sheriff's Office announced it won't be issuing citations either.
It's no surprise at all. The Alamance County Sheriff's office Facebook page claims their office recommends following the Governor's Executive Order, but emphatically says they will not be issuing citations.

There is a contrast between that and what the City of Burlington Police Department is saying:

https://www.thetimesnews.com/news/20...s-mask-mandate

Old 06-25-2020, 03:32 PM

5,429 posts, read 5,965,483 times
Seems as if there's anarchy around every corner these days. We won't or can't enforce many of the laws we have currently. Despite that, the General Assembly keeps passing more of them and the Governor keeps issuing new Executive Orders.

I expect they will soon solve the conundrum by passing another law that allowing citizens to pick and choose which laws and orders we wish to respect and abide by. Something to the effect of:
As a citizen of NC, an individual will be allowed to register five (5) currently valid laws that the individual willfully chooses not to comply with in any way, shape, or form. It must be notarized and carried with the individual at all time, like a driver's license.

So now, during a routine traffic stop every law abiding citizen must provide a driver's license, a valid vehicle registration, a concealed carry permit and a Document of Law Exemption (DOLE).

Old 06-25-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Seems as if there's anarchy around every corner these days. We won't or can't enforce many of the laws we have currently. Despite that, the General Assembly keeps passing more of them and the Governor keeps issuing new Executive Orders.

I expect they will soon solve the conundrum by passing another law that allowing citizens to pick and choose which laws and orders we wish to respect and abide by. Something to the effect of:
As a citizen of NC, an individual will be allowed to register five (5) currently valid laws that the individual willfully chooses not to comply with in any way, shape, or form. It must be notarized and carried with the individual at all time, like a driver's license.

So now, during a routine traffic stop every law abiding citizen must provide a driver's license, a valid vehicle registration, a concealed carry permit and a Document of Law Exemption (DOLE).
Low level misdemeanors (RE: bolded part), although I don't think you're seriously proposing this? I think I take your point as these are some crazy times, and even if people can agree on nothing else, maybe they can agree on that point.

I do have to wonder, just out of sheer historic curiosity, since we're talking about the pandemic, how people in past generations would have handled this at various points in recent history, since the Spanish Flu of the later 1910s is the closest example to go by. Perhaps how each decade since the 1950s would have handled it, and to stick with North Carolina, how some of our past governors and citizens would have handled it if they knew then what we know now, but we were in the past culturally speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina