U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Should this thread be closed?
yes 27 71.05%
no 11 28.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2006, 06:47 AM

2,487 posts, read 6,051,748 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone can someone point me to the North Carolina forum...oops...it looks like I am alreay there...but why is this all about CA?

Old 05-17-2006, 08:36 AM

1,398 posts, read 4,743,533 times
If you want my L.A. rantings to cease, I'll be happy to oblige. However, there's a lot of comparison shopping on these forums, and many of us not fortunate enough to live in a place that's a good fit want to make sure where we're going doesn't utterly mirror what we're leaving. In my case, I was explaining why reading NC websites that translate everything into Spanish make me cringe, since I know you can't possibly fathom how the horrendously the quality of life for average folks has deteriorated where I live.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:11 AM

104 posts, read 16,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informer
Does anyone realize the amount of money flowing into the Mexican economy by remittances made by illegals working in the USA? 20 Billion dollars a year.

One other part of the equation if I may elude to it.

If anyone thinks President Fox is going to pull the plug on this amount of money flowing into the Mexican economy by enforcing the borders along with the USA - might as well forget about it.

As I stated before - the blame has to be put on the "Leaders" of all countries involved.

Decades of neglecting to enforce our borders has led to the quagmire of chaos that this country is currently experiencing.

If anyone wants to enter this country, fine - get in line like everyone did in the past and do it legally.
I agree with you. Do it legally.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:34 AM

2,289 posts, read 3,738,393 times
I'm just praying that if we choose North Carolina, that I don't look too [gang]; my wife doesn't appear too [illegal] and our children don't look [bad school].

Sarcasm aside, I agree (and disagree) with Skout in his assessment that crime cannot be and should not be attributed to one particular group of people. Why? Because he loves his wife as a human being, and wouldn't dare dehumanize her by simply referring to her as an "illegal". I get that. However, I disagree with the not-so-subtle suggestion that crime ought to have a black face. Crime is crime. The same kinds of crimes that occur in a mixed-race USA, also occur in homogenous Ukraine, Ireland or Norway.

This thread began because angelaf had a question about the possibilities of racism occuring in the Asheville area. It's a relevant question, to the extent that there are still extremist and other hate groups in the area (as there are in all states in the US). If it does tend to occur in that area, then I suppose that angelaf will take that into account and proceed accordingly. And if it doesn't, I'm sure he or she will be just happy. I know I will.

Personally, I'd just like to enjoy the excitement of buying a new home in a nice neighborhood and enjoy our new community without being sized-up by my neighbors (and me sizing up the neighbors who are sizing me up).

It's 200-and freaking-6! The South is supposedly a new one, and the spectre of racism should be something that's ancient history rather than a cause for pause.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:38 AM

"Crime is crime. The same kinds of crimes that occur in a mixed-race USA, also occur in homogenous Ukraine, Ireland or Norway." I agree as stated in my previous posts. This is why I showed NC state and showed crime there with different nationalities in those neighborhoods.

I also agree with buying a new home. We bought the house we live in on 10/05 its brand new. We bought it when it was dirt and we had it built. We watched EVERY day and took pictures (where are those pictures) it was fun. We have a 1/2 acre and want more for the kids and grand kids. This is one reason to look in NC.

Last edited by Skout; 05-17-2006 at 09:40 AM..

Old 05-17-2006, 10:35 AM

2,289 posts, read 3,738,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skout
"Crime is crime. The same kinds of crimes that occur in a mixed-race USA, also occur in homogenous Ukraine, Ireland or Norway." I agree as stated in my previous posts. This is why I showed NC state and showed crime there with different nationalities in those neighborhoods.

I also agree with buying a new home. We bought the house we live in on 10/05 its brand new. We bought it when it was dirt and we had it built. We watched EVERY day and took pictures (where are those pictures) it was fun. We have a 1/2 acre and want more for the kids and grand kids. This is one reason to look in NC.
Skout~

Where'd you build? Did you build custom? Did you have trouble finding a reputable builder?

Old 05-17-2006, 10:38 AM

I built here in California. Sorry for mis-leading. My wife is a RE Broker and knew someone here who did it. Building a house is a pain to be honest. Many delays! Not sure how code enforcement is there if they have one (some states don't). On one hand they are good, you get a well built house, on the other hand delays. I think we were delayed for 3 months! Builder did give us some extras and payed for a 5 years house warranty worth $600! So we have first year warranty by him, then the other 5 years through a insurance company.

Although, I would like more land. Maybe 1 acre or more and a bigger house. Thus, were looking into NC =)

Old 05-17-2006, 11:47 AM

2,487 posts, read 6,051,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
If you want my L.A. rantings to cease, I'll be happy to oblige. However, there's a lot of comparison shopping on these forums, and many of us not fortunate enough to live in a place that's a good fit want to make sure where we're going doesn't utterly mirror what we're leaving. In my case, I was explaining why reading NC websites that translate everything into Spanish make me cringe, since I know you can't possibly fathom how the horrendously the quality of life for average folks has deteriorated where I live.
first of all fastfilm if you are directing your comment towards me...my original post was at no one in particular...personally I could care less if your rantings continue...I was just trying to lighten the mood a little. Secondly...don't be so quick to judge everybody....I lived 40 + years in Southern CA (been here 2+ years)...I too am a average folk that has seen much...the only difference is....I just moved away from CA a little sooner than you....and believe or not...I do wish you the best!

Old 05-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Yac

4,353 posts, read 3,708,184 times
Quote:
Ohhhhh, waiiiittt a minute, you are not even in California????????? Oh, Buddy, man oh man, do you have NO RIGHT posting to my threads, then.
You're surely wrong.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:04 PM

26 posts, read 42,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skout
I never said that. It was actually a joke. Lighten up, really, I am too. You're from Long Beach, not sure if it was a good area. Are there any good ones left there? I hear no. Not sure when you moved out, but, it surprises me about your comments. I guess I would need more information on why you think Hispanics have the highest crime rate and not other nationalities. Hummmm.
Long Beach: Violent crime: 7 (10 is Iraq) Property cime is a 6
White: 56%
Black: 14%
Hispanic: 36%
Avg household income: $36k a yr
As of 2000. Again, when did you move out?
Well, I was just joking back regarding the mob comments. And you must have missed my post, because I never said I was from Long Beach. I was born in Inglewood in 1965 then I moved to West Covina in 1974, then I moved to Riverside in 1990, and I am still here. And I never said that the illegals are the ones committing most of the crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina