U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should this thread be closed?
yes 27 71.05%
no 11 28.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:29 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,043,510 times

Advertisements

Yac

If you can, please hold off on closing the thread. Yeah, it's getting heated, but it does bear upon what people can expect when moving to North Carolina. There are sentiments that are very real and very relevant to people's decisions on where or if to relocate to NC.

If crime is a relevant topic for people who are considering moving to, say, Charlotte, then the many issues of race are certainly relevant to North Carolina. Threads like this one often illustrate the true and honest feelings by many people. I mean, if I were to consider moving my family to a small town outside of Chapel Hill or Charlotte, isn't it relevant to know that some of the locals already have a pre-conceived idea of me and my family? Isn't it relevant to know that there are people in California or New York who will transplant not just themselves, but their various racial views?

Please ... allow people to continue to post their views as they relate to North Carolina. The more I read, the more I learn.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:34 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,124,171 times
backfist and others, if, when we move, we find that middle class and lower middle class neighborhoods do NOT have daily new graffiti, ferociously violent gangs, xenophobic foreign nationals who do not hesitate to show their antagonism towards American citizens from all possible backgrounds except their own, and find that laws are generally upheld, neighborhoods aren't trashed to resemble the aftermath of of a tornado, and there are signs that everyone else in America can read in English as well as whatever else they wish to bring to the table, then we will be overjoyed. We can then discard our distrust in this hypothetical joyous new environment.

To use your own phrasing, this is 2006, and in 2006, middle-aged Caucasian women like me are pushed off the sidewalks and spit at by foreign nationals here. Unlike the worthy civil rights efforts of the past opposed by mindless bigots, this time, ordinary American citizens are finding those bigots in whole groups of people, the illegals, who hate them unilaterally and do not hesitate to show it. Kindness to others just doesn't seem to be there from some cultural backgrounds. There is no neutral ground when someone you don't even know despises you, and you can't even have decent discourse to initiate solving inevitable differences. In 2006 or any time. This is not an abstract philosophical treatise, these are observations from the lives of ordinary people like me, in survival mode.

Were you spit at last week? I was. Last time your dogs were shot at, or your property destroyed with chainsaws by your uncomprehending neighbors? Last year for me. Last time everyone else in a U.S. store who spoke Spanish was served before you, no matter what your place in line? For me, every single day.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:59 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,043,510 times
In the immortal words of an infamous southern Californian: can't we all just get along?

Old 05-18-2006, 12:01 PM

104 posts, read 111,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist
In the immortal words of an infamous southern Californian: can't we all just get along?
I had to laugh! Sorry. It was funny. People like to say things without data. I am just showing them, in my eyes they are wrong.
I am not racist. I feel that any nationality can destroy a city/town. Does it mean only Hispanics (the reason for this topic) of course not. People are people, people commit crimes, leave trash, etc. As the other 3 posters here saying it is only Hispanics, they are wrong.

Last edited by Skout; 05-18-2006 at 12:14 PM..

Old 05-18-2006, 12:17 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,109,669 times
I really hate all this talk about race. I only see if it is a good person, doesn't matter who or what you are. You could be green or blue for all I care. If everyone were like me we would be great. In my business I welcome everyone the same, I don't care if you have money or don't or where you come from. People will remember you for that and come back time and time again, and also tell people about you.

Have an awesome day,
Debbie

Old 05-18-2006, 12:23 PM

104 posts, read 111,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF
I really hate all this talk about race. I only see if it is a good person, doesn't matter who or what you are. You could be green or blue for all I care. If everyone were like me we would be great. In my business I welcome everyone the same, I don't care if you have money or don't or where you come from. People will remember you for that and come back time and time again, and also tell people about you.

Have an awesome day,
Debbie
Your situation might be a little different than others. You have a license that requires this from the state (not to say your personality doesn't do this regardless), as others don't have too and don't.

I just hope maybe someone has seen the stats posted and see that, it's just not one race, its all.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:28 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,229,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skout
Personally, I wouldn't brag about that....lol. I posted the better of the 3 hoping you lived there
Riverside: White: 65%/Black: 7%/Hispanic: 38%/Crime: 6&6
Corona: 65% white/6% black/35% hispanic/cime:4&6 (not bad)
Norco: 86% white/6% black/21% hispanic/crime:3&5 (not bad)
Iím not sure where you got your statistics, but just doing a google search I got all kinds of numbers and none of them matched yours.
When it comes to ILLEGALís in the state your statistics are useless, they are not counted by any census, or any other tracking service.
Thatís why the current talking head numbers of 13 million is a made up number. No one really knows how many have sneaked in since they didnít sign the guest registrar on their way in.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:33 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,124,171 times
As with any forum, one finds mostly personal experience, backed up by occasional brilliant flashes of charts, statistics, etc. (thank you mmb34!) That's what makes this city-forum fascinating, with its genuine observations from local residents of NC. But, there might be a significant problem looming, and skout, please don't refute what I know to be true. Before our 1994 earthquake changed our demographic overnight, we had a genuinely diverse neighborhood in L.A. that functioned like a dream. After it became predominantly illegal aliens, my nice neighbors originally from Jamaica couldn't take the new crime issuies anymore and moved, my nice neighbors originally from Brazil couldn't take it and moved, my nice neighbors originally from Thailand couldn't take it any more and moved, etc. Do you see a pattern? The illegals tend to ruin quality of life issues for everyone else.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:18 PM

142 posts, read 660,356 times
Arrow Racism is - what racism does...

Just a few words of wisdom to all.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:44 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,354,670 times
This is an issue on both coasts. To argue it on a NC thread is pointless. It could just as well be California, Florida, NJ, etc....

It's disheartening to watch people get so ugly with eachother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina