Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 6,655 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, although I've been looking at it fairly frequently in recent months. I'm currently a grad student living in philly and on the verge of becoming a Raleigh or Durham transplant. I will be moving down in a few months and plan on driving down to that area this month.
My girldfriend and I actually wanted to make that trip into a sort of vacation. We are hoping to find a place to stay for about 5 days, someplace that would have lots of outdoors activities because we would like to bring our dog. We were looking at the Outer Banks, but everything looks very expensive.
We're both students and on a budget. Is there any good vacation-y spots that we may be able to do on a budget? I was thinking about maybe a cabin on a lake, or something along those lines.

Thanks for any help,
Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 12:11 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,388 times
Dave, you should head for the mountains. If you google cabins for rent in NC I'm sure something will come up, or check out VRBO (Vacation Rentals By Owner). I've used them b/f and they offer condos, cabins, etc throughout the country. Some will allow dogs too. The mountains are only about 3 or 4 hours from the Triangle, and there is lots to do (hiking, sightseeing, etc). One of my favorite towns is Blowing Rock. Biltmore in Asheville is lovely, but you'll have to leave the dog at the cabin. :0
Also, Grandfather Mt--great areas to hike. So many from which to choose. Plus if you go to Visit NC you'll find a listing of events for the different areas.
The good thing about the Triangle--you are smack in the middle and can go to either the beach or the mountains...take your pick and go.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:06 PM

551 posts, read 2,287,734 times
If you like the beach, you might try one of the beaches further down the coast. Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle area isn't a posh as the OBX, but it's a great value and has lots to do - including vegging out on the beach. Also take a look at Wrightsville beach - further south still. Lots of beach options for less $$. I spent a lot of time there as a graduate student when funds were limited!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:20 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Head to the mountains for a cheaper option. Check out Boone/Banner Elk area.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:30 PM

60 posts, read 185,362 times
check out the mountains...here is a GREAT place in Pigeon Forge....

Pigeon Forge Cabins, Tennessee Cabins Rentals, Smoky Mountains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina