U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 07:46 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,899,456 times

Advertisements

I never see conservatives on these sites looking to be around conservatives only. What's the deal with all this liberal stuff? They don't sound like they like diversity or freedom of speech when it comes to others. It sounds like they are all looking for liberal fantasy island with no conservatives. I guess that's forward thinking or progressive as they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2006, 09:14 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,042,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer
OUCH!

I think I seek "diversity" in a racial and ethnic sense but not so much in the socio-economic sense.

It must be awful for AA professionals seeing diversity=black=povery=gang=crime

Overcoming that must be a daily struggle
I'm an AA professional, and yes it's awful to have to struggle with the daily burden of proof that diversity does not equal black/criminal/gangster/thug. It's just as tiresome to have to deal with even if you're not a professional.

I don't want to have to move to Atlanta just to live in a diverse, low-crime, upper-income suburb. So hopefully, enough transplanted Charlotteans and other North Carolineans will change that way of thinking. Or at least drive that kind of thinking out of the mainstream.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:35 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,042,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
I never see conservatives on these sites looking to be around conservatives only. What's the deal with all this liberal stuff? They don't sound like they like diversity or freedom of speech when it comes to others. It sounds like they are all looking for liberal fantasy island with no conservatives. I guess that's forward thinking or progressive as they say.
Seems a rather intellectually dishonest response. Many people are looking to live where they know they're free from hostility, marginalization and all manner of being unwelcome. If one is of a certain ethnicity or religion, they may want to live in a community where their ethnicity and religion fits in. That's not based on something so meaningless as liberal vs. conservative, it's based upon real life in America.

So if I'm white and prefer not to live among [fill in the blank], and I live in a community of like-minded neighbors, then that's what I want. But it's intellectually dishonest of me to be critical of [fill in the blanks] for not wanting to live near me.

Perhaps if we came out from behind the fig leaf of political labeling, we could better understand who and what we are, and learn to understand and respect each other more.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:45 AM

1,531 posts, read 6,843,098 times
^^^It's all a matter of where you're comfortable and happy.

You wouldn't really expect an ultra-religious conservative Christian to feel very comfortable or happy in San Fransisco's Castro district, West Hollywood, Berkeley, or Greenwich Village, right? Nor would we expect a radical hippy vegetarian to be very comfortable or happy in a Morman town in Utah.

This board very often has people come in and say "i want a family-friendly neighborhood with good schools to raise my kids". I don't think I've ever seen someone criticize him/her for not being open to living in a neighborhood full of partying swinging singles, have you?
Think about it.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist
Seems a rather intellectually dishonest response. Many people are looking to live where they know they're free from hostility, marginalization and all manner of being unwelcome. If one is of a certain ethnicity or religion, they may want to live in a community where their ethnicity and religion fits in. That's not based on something so meaningless as liberal vs. conservative, it's based upon real life in America.

So if I'm white and prefer not to live among [fill in the blank], and I live in a community of like-minded neighbors, then that's what I want. But it's intellectually dishonest of me to be critical of [fill in the blanks] for not wanting to live near me.

Perhaps if we came out from behind the fig leaf of political labeling, we could better understand who and what we are, and learn to understand and respect each other more.

I don't have a problem being conservative and I don't care who knows I am a conservative. I don't care if liberals live by me. Liberals have a problem being liberals. That's a problem with them personally. I'm moving to Davidson so I guess the Libs should cross that off. God forbid I'm their neighbor.
You can't compare race to your political orientation that's ridiculous.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:17 AM

67 posts, read 56,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
I don't have a problem being conservative and I don't care who knows I am a conservative. I don't care if liberals live by me. Liberals have a problem being liberals. That's a problem with them personally. I'm moving to Davidson so I guess the Libs should cross that off. God forbid I'm their neighbor.
You can't compare race to your political orientation that's ridiculous.
I agree. It's like here I am take me as I am, cause I am here to stay and paid to much for this house to make another move

Old 06-16-2006, 10:24 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,404,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist
So hopefully, enough transplanted Charlotteans and other North Carolineans will change that way of thinking. Or at least drive that kind of thinking out of the mainstream.
Seems to me that certain terms are just code words for white, middle class....
In NY the realtors were getting in so much trouble for steering that even the phrase "family friendly" or "close to churches (or temples)" is not allowed.

Part of what I liked about Heritage is that the other lookers were quite diverse.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9LVR
I agree. It's like here I am take me as I am, cause I am here to stay and paid to much for this house to make another move
I think I'm gonna start a conservative friendly post.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:36 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,182,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9LVR
Well, I would use a definitely censorable word, but instead let me say that most people will probably not give a rootin' tootin' d*mn if a liberal or neo-con lived near them, as long as they mind their own business. That kind of stuff usually only becomes volatile at election time. I count myself as liberal, and would rather have Keith Olbermann as a neighbor <swoon >, but could care less if an Anne Coulter/Rush Limbaugh/ Bill O'Reilly lived next door as long as they didn't come to my house expecting me to listen to their rhetoric. If they did, I'd bloody their nose and sic my dawgs on 'em. Other than that, I suppose we'd get along fine

Last edited by silverwing; 06-16-2006 at 10:42 AM..

Old 06-16-2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
Well, I would use a definitely censorable word, but instead let me say that most people will probably not give a rootin' tootin' d*mn if a liberal or neo-con lived near them, as long as they mind their own business. That kind of stuff usually only becomes volatile at election time. I count myself as liberal, and would rather have Keith Olbermann as a neighbor <swoon >, but could care less if an Anne Coulter/Rush Limbaugh/ Bill O'Reilly lived next door as long as they didn't come to my house expecting me to listen to their rhetoric. If they did, I'd bloody their nose and sic my dawgs on 'em. Other than that, I suppose we'd get along fine

Now you see we'd get along fine. Same here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or