Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 11:18 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
Well, I would use a definitely censorable word, but instead let me say that most people will probably not give a rootin' tootin' d*mn if a liberal or neo-con lived near them, as long as they mind their own business. That kind of stuff usually only becomes volatile at election time. I count myself as liberal, and would rather have Keith Olbermann as a neighbor <swoon >, but could care less if an Anne Coulter/Rush Limbaugh/ Bill O'Reilly lived next door as long as they didn't come to my house expecting me to listen to their rhetoric. If they did, I'd bloody their nose and sic my dawgs on 'em. Other than that, I suppose we'd get along fine
You forgot to mention Michael Savage. You can keep O'Reilly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2006, 12:48 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer
Seems to me that certain terms are just code words for white, middle class....
In NY the realtors were getting in so much trouble for steering that even the phrase "family friendly" or "close to churches (or temples)" is not allowed.

Part of what I liked about Heritage is that the other lookers were quite diverse.
You're quite right. I had a realtor from Georgia call me, and was just tickled pink to be able to help us buy in the suburbs of Atlanta. When I told her--very politely--that we didn't believe in communicating in code words and phrases, she suddenly had another call on the line; hung up; and never called back. It was hilarious and sad at the same time.

In a way I understand; they're only doing what their customers want. But going along with that kind of practice, we end up with Levittown (in its early days).

Old 06-16-2006, 07:19 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist

In a way I understand; they're only doing what their customers want. But going along with that kind of practice, we end up with Levittown (in its early days).
Interestingly enough, Levittown is very diverse now- all colors, many ethnicities, and the houses have almost all been modified, the landscaping is all different, too. All those little parks with community pools are still beautiful. It is really nice. I know many snobs look down upon it but it is a great place to live & raise a family.
(If you can afford it!!!!!!)

Old 06-16-2006, 07:51 PM

67 posts, read 73,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist
You're quite right. I had a realtor from Georgia call me, and was just tickled pink to be able to help us buy in the suburbs of Atlanta. When I told her--very politely--that we didn't believe in communicating in code words and phrases, she suddenly had another call on the line; hung up; and never called back. It was hilarious and sad at the same time.

The new code is............."Where would you live"

Old 06-19-2006, 08:23 PM

8 posts, read 30,567 times
Default Defining Diversity

NCTARHEEL makes a very good point even if it isn't realistic. And why is it assumed that everybody but white are impovershed? I currently live in a community where people from literally all over the world live and we are of the same SES (and didn't benefit from Bush's tax cuts). Unfortunately the community where I live is the only thing I still like and I'm looking to find this somewhere I can afford to call home.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:01 PM

12 posts, read 33,341 times
Hello,
I just discovered your message.
I moved from MD to Clayton NC, (greater Raleigh) last February. I wish I had not. I left a friendly small neighborhood for an antaginistc/aggressive one. I have been ostracised, discriminated against and even threatened physically. Since I live alone, the contrast is hard to deal with. I am not only a "northener" but also a "foreigner" (I am French) Be very careful about your home location, avoid so-called "subdivisions" if you can.
Good luck (I used to live near LA & I miss CA too)
Solange

Old 11-07-2006, 06:11 AM

108 posts, read 374,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
I never see conservatives on these sites looking to be around conservatives only. What's the deal with all this liberal stuff? They don't sound like they like diversity or freedom of speech when it comes to others. It sounds like they are all looking for liberal fantasy island with no conservatives. I guess that's forward thinking or progressive as they say.

I just reported this post. Very unnecessary indeed!

Chapel Hill sounds great!! I guess my thinking is more 'independent' than conservative, or liberal, just plain common sense!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:14 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,298 times
PinkPoodle,
I get what you're saying. May I suggest researching Boulder, Colorado? We currently live here but are desperately trying to get out. We love it here, all it has to offer, but our circumstances dictate that we need move, so NC is the place since it has what we want, plus I have family there. Boulder is kind of like a watered down version of California, and the cost of living isn't as outrageous (although it is for us!), a great place to raise kids, great schools, a lot of economic diversity (some ethnic diversity however not too many African Americans), and very liberal. Sorry you got bashed for your wanting diversity comment. Some people don't really get it, do they? Good luck!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:21 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,287 times
If this has already been said, then I apologize, but Asheville, within the City, is another option.
However, I think you should forget about the warmer weather and look at places like Ann Arbor Michigan or Madison Wisconsin.
PS-Grew up in Michigan and lived 12 years in NC.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:28 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,298 times
Forget Ann Arbor. I, too, grew up in Michigan and we considered moving back but the economy in Michigan has tanked. There are NO jobs there and the taxes are very high. Ann Arbor is about the only place I would consider moving to in Michigan, but you'd have to twist my arm pretty hard. Not to mention it's just urban sprawl to the max. Madison would be a better option, but oh so cold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina